cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC HERO "WATER DETECTION STICKER"

Journeyman

Re: HTC HERO "WATER DETECTION STICKER"

I also noticed that within a month of having my Hero the sticker was pink even though I had never gotten it 'actually wet', and my phone has been in a silicone case since I bought it. This is actually my first phone to have the sticker. My old LG Musiq got swept up by a wave at the beach and it still recovered.

Journeyman

I would love to check mine for you and see what color it is but I can't seem to get the bleeping battery cover off.... *@#!$%   Some secret to this I'm missing??

Journeyman

I live in SW Florida about 5 minutes from the beach and my sticker is still red/white checkered.  I've had this phone since the day it was released.

Journeyman

I live on the gulf coast and the sticker on inside edge of the case looks to be red and white until it is compared to the sticker on the battery.  They look to be identical stickers, but the white part of the one on the edge of the case has a slight pink tinge to it.

Journeyman

Push up on the backplate, the rubberized part around the USB port. It took me forever to figure this out!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, didnt even know about this.

I live in Orlando FL and guarantee it hasnt been anywhere near water and mine is pink. I dont even take mine in the bathroom as

some have suggested. FWIW.

Journeyman

Thanks for the battery cover removal 101 course, I finally got it off and my sticker is red and white checkered... normal?

Journeyman

denisew1972 wrote:

Thanks for the battery cover removal 101 course, I finally got it off and my sticker is red and white checkered... normal?

Yes, that's normal.

Journeyman

My hero is about 6 months old and one of the water detection stickers indicates my phone has been exposed to water.  I'm very careful with my phones and I know for a fact it has not.  The location of the sticker (on my phone bottom left) makes it much more susceptible to a false positive compared to better designed phones that may have this sticker embedded away from the edge of the casing.  Chances are that a very humid climate won’t be enough to change the sticker but based on where it is located within the phone I wouldn't be shocked if prolonged exposure to very humid climates did at times cause at least a portion of the sticker to change.

If your phone has a problem bring it to a corporate sprint store, not an authorized dealer.  My phone stopped working and I brought it to the authorized dealer first.  They simply opened up the case, noticed the water indicator and handed me a business card telling me to make a claim on my insurance and to pay a 100 dollar deductible.  Knowing that my phone had never been exposed to water I brought it to the corporate store where they took the time to open it up and investigate the problem.  Turns out the battery was dead which had absolutely nothing to do with water damage. They replaced it and the phone works fine. Even if your phone works fine but your indicator shows water damage I would bring it to the corporate store and have them note on your account that the water indicator is on but there is no water damage.  It can only help you when something unrelated breaks and you find yourself in a situation like I was in.

Bottom line, I still think this is a pretty good phone but after opening it up I would highly recommend to anybody considering this phone to buy the insurance.  I can't imagine having to deal with getting this phone fixed if the water indicator shows water damage and I didn't have the insurance.  I've never purchased insurance on any of the previous cell phones I've owned and I'm not sure what compelled me to do so this time, but I'm glad I did.

Journeyman

These stickers DO change over time based on humidity in the air.  They DO change color from sweat, light rain, and just general usage.  They are a wonderful thing for the carriers and manufacturers because they can deny a large number of support claims (even completely unrelated ones like software glitches) on the moisture indicator.  I'm not saying that Sprint or HTC do this, but I have friends and colleagues who have had phones replaced and then later billed full price for the replacement phone that was given to them under the assumption that the phone was replaced under warranty by multiple carriers other than Sprint.  I can't say anything about HTC's repair process since I have no experience with them.

The HTC Hero has the best placement of any phone I have ever seen.  They managed to get it as close to a seam in the cover as possible and near both your mouth and against the palm of your hand.  If you sweat a lot (like me) and/or spit when you talk (unlike me) then you will almost certainly end up with a water damaged phone even if it never ever ever has been near water.

I don't take my phone with me in the shower, or swim with it, or even use it in the rain, however my phone has a mostly solid pink moisture indicator.  It is not even, but rather a little blotchy, which makes me think it has more to to with humidity than actually getting wet.

Anyway, just wanted to correct those in here who say it will never happen on accident (it does, and the carriers/manufacturers like it that way) and to confirm your suspicion that it can turn on its own.  Maybe those who say their's never turned is because they always keep it in a carrier and not in their sweaty pocket, or they live in drier climates, or they live in a house with central AC instead of a swamp cooler or something.  In my experience the question is "why hasn't it turned yet" rather than "why has it turned".

Journeyman

I have had my phone literally 2 months. I have been having problems with the touch screen over the past two weeks and I finally had a chance to take it into a Sprint store today. The guy messed with it a few minutes.. kept trying to claim it was software. He removed a few apps saying that they are known for messing up the touch screen (one being the antivirus app). After I kept explaining to him exactly what was going on with it, he told me that he would not be able to do a repair because my phone has water damage. I dont take my phone in the shower, I dont take it to the beach. Heck I am one that is known for dropping phones in the toilet.. but with the price of this phone I took the precautions so that did not happen again. He kept arguing the fact and then pointed out how it was different that the indicator on the battery. Ok SERIOUSLY??? If the indicator strategically placed at the bottom seam of the phone is changed because of "water damage" how the heck is the one on the battery still white and red??????  I have never been so dissapointed in the 5 years that I have been a sprint customer. To make matters worse is that the touch screen going out is a known defect in the phone, yet they find ways to not back their manufacturers warranty... o wait thats bc manufacturers warrentys are to legally protect the manufacturer, not the consumer. Way to go HTC and Sprint.

Journeyman

ive had my phone for a few months and it started viberating they told me is was water damaged...(quack),,,,,they sent me another phone and it had the same sticker ,,a white tag with red stripes ...now they just give me the run around,and they will easly take my money for a new phone and run me around for a phone that i now know was never water damaged .The pink sticker to me is anoather way to pull money out of my pockets and how many people like me just dont have the time to deal with these fools ...well see if this tread even makes it....

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat