cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero 2.1 Update Problems/Issues since update:

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero 2.1 Update Problems/Issues since update:

Just wondering if this is still working fine for you?

Also asking all who have done the hard reset and load about what has worked and what has not.

I loaded 2.1 Normally and had a lot of the issues mentioned here.   I then read this post and tried the Hard reset and then re-load 2.1 with no better results.

I have since gone to Sprint and got a replacement phone.  It came with 1.5

So my question is should I just use it as at least it is reliable until we get a new release?

Or I am wondering if the people who have had success with the update / hard reset  did the hard reset from 1.5 then loaded 2.  Just thinking maybe the fact that I already had loaded 2.1 before trying the hard reset method effected the result?

Opinions please.

Larry

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine is working very well now in 2.1.  It hasn't rebooted in 4-5 days. All features are working (to my knowledge).

In the battery use panel (About Phone / Battery / Battery Use, it had been showing Cell Standby and Phone Idle as the overwhelming majority (~30% each).  Then suddenly two days ago, these dropped to 2% each and Android System jumed from 5%? to 95% and battery life was suddenly great, going from ~24 hours (with aggressive Task Manager settings) to 36 hours or more.  This coincided with my travel from home (with very weak phone and data reception) to a stronger area, but upon return home, this performance has stayed roughly the same. I thought perhaps this was due to the phone searching for phone and data signals and I tried turning off phone (setting to Sprint only) and data roaming to see if this affected statistics, but it didn't so I put them back and the phone (so far) in the weak signal area is still great.

Is 2.1 worth the trip?  In my experience, yes.  My phone is better than it's ever been (reliability; I don't really notice speed/lag others have mentioned).

I notice the onscreen keyboard is working better for me in 2.1 (I haven't had to calibrate; the predictive spelling seems mostly effective too).

In fact, my Hero is working so well that the main determinant in whether I'd like to upgrade to EVO is simply phone/screen size.  And I haven't reached a final conclusion yet on that; I like the size of the Hero, though a larger screen and keyboard would no doubt be useful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the hard reset and re-install of 2.1 a little over 2 weeks ago and so far, (still) so good. No weird restarts, I've had one force close on Android Market, but I did have a lot of apps running in the background. I still haven't used Sprint Navigator, so I can't report on that. The weird grey box over the text input area (when actually inputing text while text messaging in landscape mode) DOES show up every once in awhile, and it's seems to be when again, I'm running a lot of things, and I haven't rebooted the phone in a few days. I have Swype and the Voice to Text keyboard installed, so I'm not sure if one of those are the issue and not 2.1. I haven't seen anyone else post about the grey box, so it may not be an issue for you either.

I've only had my phone for a month, and only ran 1.5 for two weeks, so based on that limited amount of time, I still think the 2.1 upgrade is a good one, there were bugs in 1.5 that I found right away (headphones not being recognized issue, youtube, etc.) that have been addressed in 2.1. Since your phone is new as well, I think you may have the same happy results as me.

One thing I noticed after the 2.1 re- install and then put a LOT of apps on my phone, is the need to restart the phone every couple of days. Basically I don't leave a lot of free space on my phone's memory. I do the same thing with my computer, the start up hard drive is loaded with files with not much free hard drive space and I don't reboot my computer for weeks at a time, and I see the same type of behavior on my computer when running lots of apps without rebooting more often than I do. The running apps eat up the free space and things act laggy or buggy until you reboot and get that free space back. I'm not complaining, that's just the way computers are, whether they're desktops or phones, if the only issue after the 2.1 update is the need to reboot every few days to keep things running smoothly, I'm okay with that.

One other thing, I am NOT running an App Killer since 2.1, and I suspect this is part of why my phone is running well. I just use Commantalb to quit apps and Running services to quit certain background services.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did you do the update normally , or did you do a hard reset before you updated?

Highlighted
Journeyman

So you did the Hard reset in 1.5 and then installed 2.1 correct?

Larry

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Larry: I initially installed 2.1 on top of 1.5, without doing the hard reset first. That's when I started having strange restarts and all the other issues that were posted way back in the beginning of this thread.

Then, after I was already running 2.1, I did the hard reset and REinstalled 2.1 and the problems disappeared. I think my original post is on the first couple pages of this thread, there was a slight difference (for me) when reinstalling 2.1 on TOP of 2.1 (I think I had to press the Sync option on my phone, rather than just USB Charge only, in order for the 2.1 Installer to recognize the phone.) My slight difference in the reinstall of 2.1 on top of 2.1 may be due to me doing all this on a Mac, rather than a native Windows machine.

(Oops, my original post is on page 3 of this thread: Re: HTC Hero 2.1 Update Problems/Issues since update: )

Message was edited by: artgrrrl

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Larry, Since you have a chance to do the hard reset on 1.5 before installing 2.1, hopefully you will be able to bypass all these weird issues as you will be doing a clean install, so to speak.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was not even aware that there was an update out. I just decided to look today to see if there was any new news on a date, as I quit looking after a few months of waiting thinking I would get a txt or some notification. Oh well.   The only reason I was looking today was to try and find out WTH is going on with my phone.

Anyway, I would like to try the Factory reboot method then update to try and bypass the problems people are having.

My main question is...over the last few days to a week I have noticed my phone getting EXTREAMLY slow, having Sense UI  rebooting constantly, the phone rebooting completely, programs force close on even the native apps., missing calls, missing txts, screen going black when i try and unlock it. I have had to take my battery out twice just to get my phone to restart as it would completely lock up and 5 min later still be locked up showing a "loading" on the screen. And Dropping calls-several a day, or showing no signal or 1 bar available at my house and other places i used to have 3-4bars. I have had my phone since Nov. 1st and could count on one hand the call I had dropped, now it is 1-4 a day. Also, occasionally placing a call seems to take a long time. I have to look at the phone to see if it was actually placed, and it is it just seems to take 20-30sec to even dial or get a tone.

This sounds alot like the problems people have been experiencing with the update to 2.1, but I have not updated yet.  I am still running 1.56.

Any Idea if something else is going on with Sprint network or the phones in general?  Maybe not entirely related to the 2.1 update??

Just a thought.

Message was edited by: chicbetty

Highlighted
Journeyman

@chicbetty

The problems you're having sound like what some of us experienced with OS1.5 when the ap count drifted above ~70.  Don't know why but there seems to be a limit to number of aps (or memory) in 1.5.  You could search for related comments.  Don't know yet about 2.1 but assuming it's more robust in general.

I had my OS1.5 working really well and also have the 2.1 working well (I'm glad I updated).

Also, both 1.5 and 2.1 seem to benefit (in responsiveness and battery life) from a good "task manager" to close aps from unnecessarily continuing to run when you've backed out of them.  Rhythm's Task Manager is the best of these from my experience. It takes some attention getting aps into the AutoKill list and Ignore list, but it's worth the effort.

Highlighted
Journeyman

thanks.  I'll look.  I have not added any in awhile but, there were several...maybe about the same time I started having issues, that had updates which I did. Perhaps the updated apps are alot bigger than the prev. versions.... I didnt' think to look.

I usually try to run a kill on apps not needed to make sure room is free but who knows.  I currently use Advanced Task Killer.

I will update to 2.1 tonight when I get home and hope the issues will go away.

Any info on if 2.1 helps/fixes the horrid voice command??  I would like to use voice dialing, but it NEVER seems to get it right and gives me completely different choices than what I said.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Check out Rhythm Task Manager and read the user comments.  Quite a few there saying it performs better than ATK.  I was using Apollo Task Manager before and liked it but Rhythm is more effective.

I carefully checked sync of calendar, contacts, Astrid tasks, and backed up call history, SMS, bookmarks, APN, notepad, and saved installed APKs with APKOptic (for easy reinstallation), then followed Sprint/HTC instructions exactly and had only a few minor issues which I later sorted out.

Others have suggested to do the factory reset before installing 2.1.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"backed up call history, SMS, bookmarks, APN, notepad"

How did you back up that data???

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat