cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero 2.1 Update Problems/Issues since update:

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero 2.1 Update Problems/Issues since update:

I was experiencing these same issues on my phone where you would push the call log for one person and it would dial someone else. This latest update really sucks.  Good news is, I totally fixed my phone and if you want more details on how I fixed all these crappy problems with the latest Sprint update check out my blog.

http://www.sheltondickson.com/?p=5

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had all these terrible problems with my HERO and I finally fixed the phone.  I had to upgrade to a new custom ROM I found on the internet and now my phone is amazing.  If you want to give it a shot I detail all the specifics on my blog here: http://www.sheltondickson.com/?p=5

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have tried this solution of using a task manager to kill apps and it really doesn't help much.  This is really stupid, because before the update to the latest ROM I never needed a task killer.  Even after booting then killing all running applications my phone was still running terribly slow, rebooted randomly and would sometimes take 5 to 10 seconds to initiate a call.  I finally got fed up and went to the internet for solutions.  I ended up upgrading my HERO to a custom ROM called "Fresh".  It is AMAZING!!! This fixed all my problems with my HERO. I'm back in love with my HERO again.  If you want to try this upgrade I've detailed the entire process on my blog here: http://www.sheltondickson.com/?p=5 I've been running this ROM for a month and I haven't identified any issues with it.  As I said... I love my HERO again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@TGWYMAN740

Thanks for reminding us about powering off, removing battery, and rebooting.  I hadn't done that for a while.  When I did that this week, it cleared an additional 30MB of memory (Rhythm Task Manager was showing 42MB free with no major apps running, then after removing battery and rebooting 72MB).  After another day or two, that's now down to 62MB free but the phone is snappier than it had been and no random reboots in the last two days.  So in addition to running Task Manager and killing apps which try to keep running under OS2.1, the battery remove reboot also seems to help.  I think I'll do that maybe once a week.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SEEMS A LOT SAFER THAN ROOTING YOUR PHONE AS SOME ARE DOING. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IT AS THEY SAY, YOU HAVE A PAPERWEIGHT. GLAD IT HELPED

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have noticed the same issue with my hero its kinda random though. Also ive noticed i have a switch widget on screen to turn the internet on and off if i cycle that on and off it reconnects after reboot without waiting for data profile and what not to refresh. also if i airplane mode before power off it will not have that issue when it powers back up. obviosally you have to turn it off after it reboots but if i figure out a fix ill repost.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know this won't be of much help to many on here, but for what it's worth I've posted here several times with all these same issues. I had Sprint replace my Hero once, but with no real effect. Still slow and sluggish. As a few of us discussed a couple weeks back the latest update was meant for the Evo, not the Hero. The Hero's processor is not capable of fully handling the upgrade to 2.1 hence all the slow/sluggish behavior.

I recently took advantage of my yearly upgrade and got the Evo. This is a far superior phone and operates smoothly and quickly like a phone should. Plus all the functionality and the large screen make it a great phone. Maybe the best I've ever owned. I highly recommend giving it a shot if you can upgrade or afford it. Not much help if you're stuck with the Hero I know, but something to look forward to if you choose. Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Subject: messaging

hello all,

I have found that if you keep your texts deleted and not have a few 1000 from people.. that the messaging doesn't lag as much and text's are processed faster, i had built up some text and it was lagging alot.. but if you do have over 1000 from like one person..it does take a few min for the HERO to delete these text messages, so let it do its thing.. you will find this alot better and faster when you have all your messages deleted on a daily basis.  later dooodes!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@rwoodruff1975 I suspected the insane amount of texts that have built up in my phone were causing the extreme lags and force quits in my messaging app. I keep trying to delete one particular thread that has 1900 texts in it, and I'm not sure what my phone is doing. Is there a way to know if the thread is deleting? Progress bar or some sign? After I open the thread, I press delete thread, I've tried checking and unchecking the locked messages box, the thread of texts just stays open and does nothing, then it freezes and I have to reboot my phone for text messaging to work again. Of course the giant thread is still there after I reboot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That is a large amount, i had one that was about 1600 and once you press delete thread, it takes awhile, its not froze, its working.. dont have to reboot or nothing, i did the same at first thinking it was froze up.. just leave it on the page after you press ok..it might take awhile..just come back to it in about 15 min or so, should be gone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I figured it out, didn't realize you could select a particular thread to delete while you are in "All Messages" and hit delete. Seems to be doing something at least.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was having many of the same problems and more.....When I went to make a call it would take up to 2 minutes to actually begin the call.  Among many others.  I re-set the phone and re-installed everything.  While it's only been about 5 hours, I have noticed a tremendous difference!  Thanks for the post!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat