I just wanted to post a couple of issues that I've noticed with my HTC Hero by Sprint since updating to the new Android 2.1 RUU issued by Sprint on May 19, 2010. Since the update, the following problems have arisen:
1. When opening any number of different apps from the Android Market and/or apps that were included with the update, the phone will reboot itself automatically.
2. When receiving calls, there is a long lag between when the other party hears their phone ringing and when I actually receive the call on my Hero. Sometimes its only 3-4 rings before it registers on my phone. Other times, it's 5-6 or sometimes I won't even receive the call at all and will eventually get a notice that I missed a call and that I have a voicemail.
3. When opening the Sprint Navigation app, intially (prior to opening it following a reboot/turn on) the app will get to the point where it needs to contact the server for sign-in (or something) and then the phone will automatically reboot itself. Following the reboot, the phone will turn on, but the network is unavailable. When opening the Sprint Nav app after automatic reboot (caused by the app in the first place) then the app runs to the point where it tries to sign in, but said that 'Sprint navigation is not available'. Also, the network does not work for any other programs on the device. The only way to correct this problem, is to reboot the phone again manually. Then, if you try to open the Sprint Nav app again, the problem starts over from the beginning again, resulting in another automatic phone reboot.
4. There is still lag when programs are open (of course, probably due to the hardware specs or the lack there of =D ).
If anyone else has noticed any additional problems, please continue this discussion so as to bring these issues to Sprint's attention. Hopefully, they'll hear their customers and have some type of solution for them. Thanks guys!
i am so fed up with sprint right now!...since the 2.1 update i can't receive calls,text,email or voicemail, talked to tech support for over 4 HOURS, so long that my home phone went dead. i called back had to do the same shit over and over, finally they tell me that i need to go to a sprint store and give me a e-card or something, and i said ok, i'll go to radio shack tomorrow.... she said no, you will have to go to a sprint store "near you" i said the nearest store is 3 hours away, and i refuse to drive that far, now i don't know what to, thinking about just dropping my sprint service and getting a new one.
Trouble with my '07 Infiniti G35 with the Hero as well, Infiniti says it worked fine on the original software, wish I could get that back. Anyone know if there will be a fix for these HTC created problems?
Reading other people's post on there HTC Hero makes me feel better. I know now that I'm not the only one. I have the task killer installed, but I don't see where it helps. As far as receiving phone calls, yes there is a significant lag. The person calling will say the phone rang 3 or 4 times but on my HTC it may ring once or twice. My call waiting doesn't let me know I have a call coming in. If I'm sitting in total darkness of course I would see the screen light up but I don't get any ring/beep notifying me of the call. Therefore I have missed MANY calls. Now since the new year has started I don't have service just the wi-fi. Eventually during the day the "E" at the top showing service will appear. Without that, no data, sending or receiving. No internet, no navigation, no instant messaging, or email and no streaming music. I get a connection failed message alone with "this application requires network access, enable mobile network or wi-fi to download data. I've also got the similar post with error code of 1012. Not a happy Sprint customer...
Try either turning off the mobile network and then turning it back on, or airplane mode on and off (turns the network off then on, just easier to get to sometimes)
This has always fixed the no network error for me.
Re: network not available, I'd been having that problem recently too. But only for the email application. It started all of a sudden and wouldn't stop. I went back into settings for mobile network and selected "Enable always-on mobile data" (like it was initially at factory settings, I think) and that mostly solved the problem. I believe battery life is a bit worse on that setting though, so I might switch it back and see if the network problems have gone away.
My phone was stable before this started happening a month or two ago. I'm convinced something changed with the Sprint network then, not my phone.