cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero (Customer Service Error Code: 1012)

Highlighted
Patron

HTC Hero (Customer Service Error Code: 1012)

After resetting my HTC Hero back to factory settings, I have been able to access the internet, but unable to properly update firmware, my profile, or the PRL through my phone. It worked before the factory reset, but no longer.

I'm worried that this will cause a problem for the phone somewhere in the future, though it doesn't appear to be causing severe problems now.

When in "Settings>About phone>System updates" each of the options to update, when selected, brings up an error message:

"Device Configuration"

"The profile update could not be completed. Please try again later. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service Error code:1012"

I've done some internet research, but following steps like shutting off the phone and removing the battery do not seem to help. Is this something that can be remedied or has the factory reset damaged the ability of the phone to update properly? What are my options?

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero (Customer Service Error Code: 1012)

I'm having a similar issue with my HTC Hero that I just had activated today.  I had the number ported over from Verizon and person at Best Buy wasn't able to activate the phone right away (told me it'd be up soon).  Later I ended up activating it over the phone, but it wouldn't automatically activate.  The representative had me configure some options on the phone manually.  After that I was able to make/receive calls, but no network still.  I try to update the Profile/PCL and get the same error code.

Journeyman

Tried to update profile and PRL again today.  Also tried rebooting the phone.  I'm still getting Error Code: 1012 and am not seeing any icon for data (EVDO or otherwise).

Here's an interesting thing though, when booting up the phone and after having it fail out of the "Hands free activation", I select the option to manually activate my phone.  Then the EVDO icon shows up and it seems like the browser is launched.  The browswer just tells me to dial *2 to contact customer service and continue activation.  If I close out of it, the EVDO icon disappears.

Perhaps data just hasn't been enabled for my account?  Maybe a processes is crashing?  I'll bring the phone into a Sprint store tomorrow to check this out, and hopefully someone there can help.

Journeyman

Another interesting update.  I go to device self service (that's where you can activate or update software) and then I get the EVDO icon.  If I click the home button right away, it goes back to my homescreen and I still have the EVDO icon.  The icon disappears about 10 seconds later.

Journeyman

I did a hard reset by turning the phone off, and then holding the Home and Back arrow.  Tap the End Call key to perform the reset.  Immediately a white screen should pop up asking if you'd like to erase user data.  I tab the trackball (that's the action button) and then Menu.  The phone resets.

After the reset, Hands Free Activation worked, I have EVDO and I was able to update the PRL and Profile.  Keep in mind that this will remove all of your contacts, data, apps and whatever else except what is stored on the sd card.

Whew thank god that's over.

Journeyman

Re: Realed: HTC HeroError code for Device Self Service: 'Call customer Care ' error

After getting a new replacement HTC hero , I can not access the Device Self Service 1.1 app.THe error reads:

" Because of the type of  account you have, we'll need to help you with this task. Please dial *2 so we can assist you.

Call Customer Care"

I can access email, EVDO and internet browser well. Though I have also now noticed with hours of delay it takes to update location on the weather iof I I travel. In addition some of the apps needind network location do nor work- ?possible network issue again

Spent 3 hours with Sprint phone customer ervice and 2 hours at the sevice center without any solutions.I would appreciate help

Message was edited by: apurvez

Message was edited by: apurvez

Journeyman

Re: Realed: HTC HeroError code for Device Self Service: 'Call customer Care ' error

If you send me a PM with your acct and contact information and a link to this thread, I'll ask to have someone call you back from SprintCares.

Journeyman

The very exact same thing happen to me... how did you get this fixed?

If you remember... I see that it's been a while...

thanks for any help.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat