cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero Maintenance Releases Blog

Highlighted
Wizard

HTC Hero Maintenance Releases Blog

Whenever there's a maintenance  release for a device, it's posted individually as a new thread on the  device's sub-community.  You can currently go to the device's support  page to see a consolidated list of all updates for the device, however,  there is also a blog that now shows all updates to the device.

By  subscribing to the blog you can receive notifications whenever  there  are software updates available.  Comments have been restricted on  the  blog - I will continue to post a new thread when an update is  available  and comments should be noted in that thread (as usual).

Access the HTC Hero Maintenance Release blog here.  To subscribe to the blog, go to 'I want to' in the upper right hand corner of the blog and select 'subscribe'.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Maintenance Releases Blog

Good info for those running the sprint 2.1 OS.

is there a 2.2 update blog? oh, that is right sprint said 2.2 would not run on the HTC Hero.....

Another Happy Sprint Customer because of XDA Devlopers.

I'm Running Android 2.2 on a Sprint hero for months with ZERO problems.

Journeyman

how can i get 2.2. update to my phone???

Journeyman

To get 2.2 on your phone you need to google XDA Developers, search around in the Hero forums. Plenty of info and help there.

You can also get some video help on youtube.

I'd deal more with XDA then youtube, but the tube is good for a reference to see how it is done with your eyes.

It's not difficult, really.

Master

Putting anything other than the official Sprint software releases on the phone would void your warranty on the device. This includes any Android 2.2 software release, and anything you would get from XDA.

Journeyman

Seeing as how 4 visits to a corporate sprint store, 3 visits to a 3rd party repair center and dozens of calls to customer care didn't get my HTC Touch fixed with TEP, I wouldn't care too much about your warranty. Go ahead and get Froyo from XDA, they'll take better care of you then Sprint will anyway, they'll even help you fix your phone faster if you (or they) mess it up!

You guys should start cutting checks to XDA, I'd imagine they're the only reason anyone even slightly tech/computer savvy stays in business with you and your non-updated devices, myself included.

Journeyman

@Moustachio  All I can say is "BINGO"

Journeyman

@HALCYONCMDR117

So what you are saying from your post is if I download anything from the google market or web that are .apk's and all the apps from XDA site, my phone is not in warranty?

LOL

What you should have said is:

"We at sprint do not want you to load any non sprint android/OS on your phone that would make it usable. if you load non sprint android/os releases it will void yout warranty and make your phone work as intended by google and HTC. Our goal is to make your phone only work sometimes, if it worked all the time as intended, you would actually use your phone and our services you pay for."

Come on now... I understand you do not want people to be stupid and just start installing things and if things go wrong come to you to fix it. But scare tactics about voiding warranty, when your warranty on a phone that will never work correctly as long as sprint android is on there is stupid.

Last I heard, I live in a "FREE" country. if a group of mods that get paid in beer money can put out better releases than carriers, why is it our fault? I know I do not stand alone hoping that a group like XDA starts selling phones and putting up towers, at least we know they would stand behind thier work. Not to mention they would be getting paid to do what they do for free.

I am a proud Hero 2.2 Froyo customer of XDA Developers, because Sprint said it could not be done!

Journeyman

Sprint, and all the other carriers, insist on pushing their own unique recipe of Android on to their customers phones. 

This stems from some misguided belief that they need to differentiate their phones from one another.  Sprint wants their Android phones to be unique compared to Verizon's Android phones who want their phones to be unique from ATT's Android phones and so on.

This is where they all do their customers a great disservice and a great injustice. 

Android, in and of itself, is a remarkable phone OS.  Burdened with Sense UI, however, and all the other bloat-ware that Sprint insists on loading onto your phone, especially the Hero, it becomes a mass of molasses-laden circuitry.  With all that useless junk kludging up the operating system, Sprint is correct in saying that the Hero will not run Android 2.2.

Take away all that bloat-ware however, and your Hero will not only run Android 2.2 very admirably, it will be fast, responsive, and surprisingly "zippy" in ways you never imagined that your Hero could run! 

Sprint would be wise to at least look the other other way when its customers chose to use an operating system version that better suits their needs.  It would be nice if they simply gave users the option to decide: "Do you want Android 2.1 with Sense UI, or do you want stock Android 2.2"

I won't hold my breath for that to happen, but I can at least feel good about having options that make me a happy Sprint customer.  My phone now runs the way I need it to run.  Take away my option to run a more suitable OS on my phone, and Sprint will lose a 12 year customer.

Wizard

You have the option of rooting your phone.  However, as Halcyoncmdr stated, this will void your warranty.  Downloading apps from the Android Market or web is not the same as rooting your phone.

Journeyman

@dshoem01

My post simply states that it was stated wrong, if you read this line:

"This includes any Android 2.2 software release, and anything you would get from XDA."

that tells consumers if they install anything from XDA it would void the warranty, this includes lots of apps you can find on XDA or a simple google search.

This also tells consumers that when a newer OS comes out (ie 2.3) Sprint will allow you to put it on from anywhere!

Customer service can be a tricky subject and you must be either more general in your terms

"This includes any NON Sprint release of a android OS"

or more specific

"This includes any Non Sprint release or future android OS's"

make sense? feels like the kids teaching the parents around here.

Journeyman

Putting anything other than the official Sprint software releases on the phone would void your warranty on the device. This includes any Android 2.2 software release, and anything you would get from XDA.

Only issue is I was specifically told by the manager of one of the Sprint owned stores in Manhattan that I should root and install different software if I want my phone to work.  So since I was specifically told to see this employee by Sprint's own executive customer support division I think Sprint is obligated to support the phone in its rooted and updated condition.

Sprint has dropped the ball so badly on this phone.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat