cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero (No Data Plan)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero (No Data Plan)

Actually, I have a pretty good idea about what you "want or need" -- you want to stay on your outdated plan because you need to, due to the fact that you're likely too cheap to pay the prices Everything Data plans require.

Do me a favor: don't respond to me anymore, and stick with your Windows Mobile phones...or a flip, whatever suits you best.

Journeyman

All the major carriers require data plans for smartphones, and don't think I am so naive as to be oblivious to the fact that people buy smartphones "for different reasons."

Also, cellphone carriers don't care that such a small minority of smartphone users like you will only occassionally access the mobile web using the carrier's wireless network as you say "rarely." Since a vast majority of smartphone users get the plan required of their handset, (data plans for smartphones), they'll likely use it, which means that the carriers will charge everyone same data connect fee, regardless if they use it or not. I had a contract for mobile broadband throughout college for my laptop on Sprint for about 2 & 1/2 years, and there were months at a time I didn't use it. Now, should I not have to pay? I mean, I bought the mobile broadband modem, right? I didn't always access the network, right? Wrong! I signed a contract for a device that will give me an allotment of data every 30 days, regardless if I use it or not. Same concept pretty much fits the scenario I'm arguing for. Most people use smartphones and use the data plan religiously, plus modern smartphones need constant access to the network to update and refresh widgets, apps, different feeds, etc.

Journeyman

One thing you could do is accept that the phone will only work with an Everything Data plan, and that, eventually, you'll likely have to get real and let your old plan from earlier this decade go.

No wireless carrier sells smartphones that have Wi-Fi and has a policy that states "Smartphones with Wi-fi do not require you to update to a data plan." People, please try and understand and accept that Wi-Fi is no substitute for network mobile data plans, regardless of what national provider you're on, especially Sprint. Wi-Fi is merely icing on the cake on a cellphone... an extra feature, a luxury, a special high end feature to simply extend the carriers' networks to allow you to access data connections where the carriers' networks don't reach, and to give you the convenience of even faster data connections in wireless hotspots. That's all. Also, people need to just LET GO of this concept that they're being "wronged" because the newer current plans being offered by the providers today cost more than a plan they signed up for earlier this past decade. I remember when Sprint first came out with Mobile Broadband aircards for laptops to allow laptops to wirelessly connect to their 1xRTT network. When it first came out, for $59.99 you could access the network unlimitedly. When my contract expired, and by then I had purchased a new computer, I needed a new connection card. Regardless if I wanted to pay full price and do month to month without signing a contract, the unlimited data plan wasn't available and no longer existed. It simply wasn't an option. I had a few choices: 1) get the card and extend my contract by signing a new one and go with the closest plan that I had before and while the price was the same, your data was now capped to a total of 5 gigs of data transmission per month, 2) go month to month without signing a contract and pay full price (like $399.99 for a Mobile Broadband connect card for accessing the EVDO/1XRTT network) and still be capped, or choose not to sign a contract at all and forego having mobile broadband with Sprint (or AT&T, Verizon, Cricket, or T-Mobile as the 5 gig cap is pretty much standard in the industry.) I wouldn't expect that I could use a Hero, Tour, Pixi, Pre, Curve, Instinct HD, or any other Sprint device requiring the EDP on my old plan. What I've been demonized for in this forum is that I say to people who don't want to updgrade to a new modern plan, (especially to those who think that wi-fi justifies a data plan exclusion) is that they likely don't really want and/or need a smartphone/high-end multi-media feature phone. Bottom line. I'm not trying to be this typical forum @$$hole, I'm just here to bring the truth and get people to lighten up on the networks thinking they're always out to screw us all. They're really not; and no, I don't work for Sprint.

Message was edited by: Will.I.Am82

Message was edited by: Will.I.Am82

Wizard

Will.I.Am82 wrote:

All the major carriers require data plans for smartphones, and don't think I am so naive as to be oblivious to the fact that people buy smartphones "for different reasons."

Also, cellphone carriers don't care that such a small minority of smartphone users like you will only occassionally access the mobile web using the carrier's wireless network as you say "rarely." Since a vast majority of smartphone users get the plan required of their handset, (data plans for smartphones), they'll likely use it, which means that the carriers will charge everyone same data connect fee, regardless if they use it or not.

Bingo.  On top of this, I would point out that the options for consumers have increased dramatically over the years.  You can now choose whether you just want a regular phone that does texting and calling, or a smart phone with all the bells and whistles.  No matte what you choose, you have got tons of options from a wide range of carriers.  Blackberries, Android phones, the iPhone, Windows mobile phones, and a whole host of others.  Plans are just as varied.  Sprint offers incredible value.  They can only offer that value because the services are bundled.  If every single service was separately priced and you could choose from a menu and mix and match, the value would be lost.  Everything Data includes messaging, and some people use more messeging and some people use more data.  But because everyone pays the same rate, it balances out, and the consumer doesn't have to be constrained.  Asking that the bundle be broken is sort of like asking your ISP to go back to charging you by the minute or by the amount of data you use.  After all, if you really believe that you should only pay for only what you use, that IS the fairest way to do it.  You know, like your electric bill.  I, for one, would like my cell phone bill not to become as unpredictable as my electric and gas bills.

Journeyman

Will I am  Don't presume to think you know what everone needs.  Or to call someone cheep because they don't want to spend more money.  Yes you were required to pay for your broadband service because you signed a contract for that monthly service.  Just like I pay for monthly cable service whether I watch the TV or not.  But I don't pay for premium channels because I don't need them. and won't watch them.  I personally like Sprints everything plan because itI is much less expensive than the other two and ATTa customer service stink.  Some people don't need that data service but want other features of smartphones regardless of your idiotic thoughts on the subject

Journeyman V65
Journeyman

Clueless one (aka mouthpiece for Sprint), what I want is a plan (yes even a current one) that allows me to have data on one line only within a family plan. I just upgraded 3 of 4 lines earlier this year that are just voice and text. My choice. I have data and picture mail disabled. Again, my choice.I've had data on my line for several years and use it sporadically. Even if I had a phone like the Hero I would not be using it 24/7.

I do not want to have separate plans and don't feel I should be forced into an all encompassing that Sprint now only offers in the family option. You really seem to have an issue with me and others who have grandfathered plans. Chew harder. Go ahead and pay for your premium service(s). You obviously want them. I do not. As I've stated previously, I've given up on the idea of the Hero for now and can live with what I got. And will. Buh bye.

Master

You can add data to one line only if you want, but you are limited with your phones. You won't be able to get a WebOS, Android, or Instinct device. If you are looking at a Blackberry you have to be on a Talk Only plan (Not the Everything Messaging) to add the data plan because the messaging plan codes in the EM and the Blackberry Pack conflict with each other.

Or you can get an Everything Data plan and use any of the devices on the lineup.

Wizard

segar123 wrote:

Some people don't need that data service but want other features of smartphones regardless of your idiotic thoughts on the subject

Setting aside personal insults (which I think is what a 5th grader should be doing, not adults), let's say you're right.  Some people don't need the data service but want other features.  But Will.I.am is correct that this is the industry standard with Smartphones.  With Sprint, you can pay full retail price for an Android phone and have it activated on your plan, and not get a data plan.  Part of the reason you get the discounted price is because it's partly made up by your monthly plan payments.  That's the deal.  If you don't like the deal, don't sign your name on the dotted line.  It's that simple.  If that's not good enough for you, that's one thing.  But calling other people idiots for explaining how things work and that they are satisfied with it is ridiculous.

Journeyman

I'm only responding to will I am because he thinks he knows what everyone wants and why they buy certain phones.  I understand that right now the industry standard is to require data plans with smartphones.  Just because they do doesn't make it th right thing to do.  I like Sprint they have the lowest data plans I found I didn't originally want that but when I left ATT to come here I got data as icing on the cake and still pay less than Att charged without data and only 2000 texts a month.  But I don't live on the internet don't have to check my e-mail every 5 minutes infact I very rarely check my e-mail on the phone.  and maybe 3 or 4 times a week look up something on the internet it a nice extra.  getting the internet on my phone is not the main reason I have it I use it for the word and excell capability a lot more than internet.  As I said before I save me from carrying 2 devices and a huge briefcase with files( and besides he started the name calling so I'm telling mom)LOL.

Journeyman

Does anybody know that Sprint won't let you keep an existing data plan with the HTC TP2 anymore? That's what they told me today. That even if I wanted a Centro or Blackberry Pearl (which were popular way before these everything plans existed) I would need the 70$ plan. A supervisor claimed it is Google and other manufacturers that are requiring these plans. They told me EVERY smartphone or PDA no matter what it runs will require a minimum 70$ plan. They were also quite willilng to let me leave than make any sort of concession. I even refused the rep who wanted me to talk to a retention supervisor. Then I talked to a guy who could only read from a prepared set of statments about the subject.

Journeyman V65
Journeyman

What a timely post! Just tonight I was going to upgrade from a Moto Q9C to a Palm Treo Pro via a craigslist purchase. The Treo Pro, just like the HTC TP2, is one phone that is/was supposed to work with existing legacy plans. I can just imagine the polite conversation I would have had with a Sprint rep when I wouldn't have been able to activate the Treo Pro. Might have to hold off now until I/we know more. Thanks!

Journeyman

So I spent more time with Sprint getting to the bottom of this whole debacle. After talking with (finally) a knowledgable supervisor and several knowledgeable reps, they were able to tell me that only the google phones, newer blackberries, instinct and pre/pixi require the upgraded plan. The TP2, Centro and pearl could work on an old plan with data; in this case my unlimited power vision pack. The catch is that I was not eligible for a rebate under my current plan with the TP2 making it 400$. I pressed them and got them to agree to a 60$ everything plan so I decided to upgrade to the Hero since it is the same amount of money as the TP2 over the long term. At least in my case. 50$ a month on the old plan with a 400$ TP2 or 60$ a month with a 150$ Hero. Call and ask the reps if the Treo you want will work on an old plan and get a supervisor to confirm it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat