ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero OTA Update: 1.5 to 1.6?!? No support til 2010? WHAT!?

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Hero OTA Update: 1.5 to 1.6?!? No support til 2010? WHAT!?

In an article over at AndroidandMe.com, they have shed light that the HTC Hero will be shipping with 1.5 instead of the newly released 1.6, aka Donut, android version. While this is no shock as developement on the phone has been going on long before this update was released what concerns me is that they are suspecting that Over The Air (OTA) updates wont be available til 2010, leaving sprint users out in the cold on some of the newer Apps that will be coming out that require 1.6. For more info on this read here: http://androidandme.com/2009/10/carriers/more-info-on-the-sprint-ota-problem/ . If we are required to update manually, when can we expect these updates, and will Sprint follow through with support for Android or just drop the ball, since updates for devices are in the hands of the Carrier, not the Open Handset Alliance. Any info on this Sprint? How does everyone feel about this after reading it?

31 REPLIES 31
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero OTA Update: 1.5 to 1.6?!? No support til 2010? WHAT!?

Sprint will need to wait for HTC to do what they do before we can get our hands on it. Just be glad we will get a chance to manually update, while not an ideal situation, its better than no options. Right now, the CDMA Hero isnt even up on HTCs site, and Im not sure what, if anything, they will have to change in the software. Will they have to remove the old code that made 1.5 CDMA? Was it the code found in 1.6? Or something HTC did on thier own?

Personally, this isnt news to me, as I knew this was the case prior to making my purchase. We talked about it on the phandroid.com forums. Like I said, I would like OTA updates, but I'll take what I can get.

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you a time frame yet, as the device does not officially launch until 10/11, however, over on the Sprint Developers forum, they have stated..........

HTC Hero will ship with 1.5 but we will work on plans to support 1.6 when available from HTC for the Hero

Thanks
Sprint ADP

http://developer.sprint.com/show_thread.do?forumId=453&searchBy2=MSG_PARENT_ID&searchValue2=-1&searchBy3=MSGFORUM_FORUMID&searchValue3=453&ps=10&pn=1&threadid=26764&sortDirection=0&sortCol=MSG_AUDIT_CREATE_DT

So if I'm understanding this, it looks like HTC has to do their part first before Sprint can release it. However, it seems like HTC has been pretty good with providing updates for their phones in a timely manner in the past...........

Journeyman

To me this is a non issue for the time being.  The changes from 1.5 to 1.6 were ok but not significant enough for me to care that much..now the 2.0 update I may have a issue with.  For right now I'm just having a good time playing with what I got

Sprint Product Ambassador

Correct - because of the changes HTC made to the Android platform for their user experience, integrated apps, etc. you can't just grab the stock OTA 1.6 update.

HTC will have to develop their own update - and it remains to be seen if that'll be available as an OTA update or if it will need to be sideloaded from a computer.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Understandable but I was not too worried about it just trying to start a conversation was all and let people know what was going on. 1.6 has a CDMA code in it, and maybe because of HTC and Samsung, its in there. But isn't the "Sense" user interface just a simple overlay, I believe I remember hearing that you can actually switch "Sense" off, if thats the case couldn't we simply just update to 1.6, then load "Sense UI", if HTC made it downloadable. Now I know that its only a matter of time before someone comes out with a custom ROM for the Sprint version, but not alot of people are willing to root their device, possibly void warranty to get the update before HTC and/or Sprint decide that the phone needs an update. I think taking care of a customers device should be part of taking care of a customer as well, theres alot of carriers that tend to drop off on the belief once you sign a contract. And if an update will be given out, will the let us know, or will it be something I read on Gizmodo, Engadget, or Phonedog, since theres a new ROM for my Touch Pro that I wouldnt have known about unless I had read about it on a blog. And please, when the update comes, which I'm hoping is sooner then later, don't do the whole iPhone thing and charge us for it, that seems so stupid to me, charging for a device to be updated is like Microsoft charging for the updates that were suppose to fix Vista, dumb, pointless, and just another way to make a buck. (I own a Mac however lol)

Journeyman

so guys i need some help..im new with all this android stuff...love the htc hero..A LOT. haha...but..my software version says 1.29.651.1 sooo im not completely sure..if there is an update to 1.6? or what? idk..anyone help? and if so..how can i update the phone?!

I don't think that their is an update to 1.6 available.  It is my understanding from the research I have been doing on the web over the past couple of weeks that an update to 2.0 is in the works and should be available around the beginning of the year.

Journeyman

abester wrote:

so guys i need some help..im new with all this android stuff...love the htc hero..A LOT. haha...but..my software version says 1.29.651.1 sooo im not completely sure..if there is an update to 1.6? or what? idk..anyone help? and if so..how can i update the phone?!

There are, as of this moment, no available updates of any sort for the Hero.

HTC will be bringing 2.0 to the Hero some time in the future. We don't know when. There will probably not be a 1.6 update.

In the nearer future, potentially the next day or two, there will be a minor maintenence release to fix some of the bugs users are currently experiencing.

Journeyman

ahhh ok i see...do any of you know how to get rid of the apps that already come with the phone? and also..ive noticed that on my main page..the weather takes very long to update on its own..i have to select it and refresh it..when it should do it on its own right? anyone know why? or have the same thing?

Journeyman

OTA MR update has been released today. Quite a few people have it now. NOT A 1.6 UPDATE. But at least it fixes all the major bugs and a few other enhancements. Like camera is tons better.

Journeyman

i just got a firmware update for...1.5..somethin somethinn...is that the one your talking about?

Message was edited by: abester

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat