cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero Operating System

Go to solution
Journeyman

HTC Hero Operating System

Just a few quick questions... I have already preordered my HTC Hero from my local Best Buy and will pick it up on October 11th. However, I have read a few reviews stating that Sprints HTC Hero is still lagging. So my questions are: (1) will the phone ship with lag - (2) will the phone ship with the android system 1.5 or 1.6. I would just like some straight answers and see if this phone will run slow. I've also heard they could send a firmware update shortly after the release date. Thanks for your time.

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

micahdunning wrote:

Just a few quick questions... I have already preordered my HTC Hero from my local Best Buy and will pick it up on October 11th. However, I have read a few reviews stating that Sprints HTC Hero is still lagging. So my questions are: (1) will the phone ship with lag - (2) will the phone ship with the android system 1.5 or 1.6. I would just like some straight answers and see if this phone will run slow. I've also heard they could send a firmware update shortly after the release date. Thanks for your time.


Answer to question #2.  Was reported about a week ago that the Hero would come out with 1.5.  And 1.6 would be supported once HTC makes it available to Sprint.

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

Not sure what kind of phone you are currently using, I own and use an Instinct and am kind of the opinion that maybe every phone has a bit of a lag here and there. I've been all over all the videos and reviews and I've yet to see much of a lag problem with the Hero.

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

Yeah, I feel you tshaw1, I have used the original Rumor (it has broken 4 times because I work a rough job) so I switched back to my ancient Katana. The original phone is a work horse, and the good difference is that it doesn't have lag unlike my rumor with a fancier "face". However, from the videos I've now watched and knowing the system will firmware up to 1.6 I think the Hero will be more than fast enough for me. 

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

A few days ago a Sprint rep at a Best Buy in Charlotte, NC had a demo Hero and it was perfectly snappy - no lag.

I know the review models that many online videos are based on have Android 1.5 + the 1.xx ROM which is the notably laggy ROM.

Other Sprint employees have reported their demo models being just fine with no lag as well. 

I personally have faith that at least we'll have the latest "non-lag ROM" on the 11th.

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

Now I have heard that the Hero does tend to get a bit laggy after several days of use, but a simple reboot fixes that problem. What wasnt mentioned was if it was just with the software loaded, or if there were additional apps added. Firmware updates will also improve the performance. HTC did minor tweaks to Sense to improve performance as well. Such as the analog clock display as it "flips" to the next minute/hour.

Task killers are also your friend.

I do wonder though, how long it will take to get our updates after 1.6 is released. As well will be waiting for HTC to put their mark on it, as well as bundle the Sprint stuff. Will we be able to update straight from HTC or will we have to wait for an OTA update froms Sprint?

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

I've also heard some reviewers comment about what they say is 'lag', but I must agree Edaze55 that a task killer app is your best friend simply being a Windoze user myself.  HA!

However, I wonder what changing scenes on HTC Sense really does in the background when the Hero switches scenes.  After all, shouldn't changing the scenes kill all the the widgets and applications that are running when it switches to the new scene?  Using that logic, maybe simply saving your favorite scene with two different names and switching between them every other day could provide the same optimum performance results without having to reboot. It would be easy enough to find out by simply running a task killer as a widget on two different scenes and switch between them with an application running to see if that application is still running after the scene switches.  But then, maybe you don't even need two scenes because if you can select the same scene that running and reload it, it could do the same trick if when it reloads it kills all the background applications that were running.

Hummmm, I guess I really won't know if this theory works until I get a Hero!  Speaking of that, WHERE IS THE COUNTDOWN TIMER APP FOR THE HERO LAUNCH DAY ON SPRINT???   My estimate shows only 12 days as of this post, but how many hours, minutes, and seconds is that?

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

DaWeav wrote:

However, I wonder what changing scenes on HTC Sense really does in the background when the Hero switches scenes.  After all, shouldn't changing the scenes kill all the the widgets and applications that are running when it switches to the new scene?  Using that logic, maybe simply saving your favorite scene with two different names and switching between them every other day could provide the same optimum performance results without having to reboot. It would be easy enough to find out by simply running a task killer as a widget on two different scenes and switch between them with an application running to see if that application is still running after the scene switches.  But then, maybe you don't even need two scenes because if you can select the same scene that running and reload it, it could do the same trick if when it reloads it kills all the background applications that were running.

I dont know how exactly it works, but you may be correct. It could act just like you described. After all, from the way I understand it, you not only change the look of your phone with scenes, but also the widgets, and even the hardware usage like GPS, 3G and WiFi for example.

Obviously you would not need GPS or 3G (assuming you have a wireless router) at home so you could have those settings turned off. You wouldnt really have much of a need for widgets at home either saving even more battery life. So it stands to reason that you reload when you swap scenes.

Message was edited by: Edaze55

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

Hey hey everybody-

Let me start by saying that I'm a COMPLETE novice when it comes to smart phones...the nicest phone I've owned is my current, which is a samsung m520.

I preordered my hero at bb a couple weeks back (first person in that particular store, which I was pretty stoked about), and absolutely CANT WAIT to start using it.   I LOVE electronics, and have been researching this phone quite a bit...decided to go ahead and get it for the simple fact that I"m a gadget guy.  The options seem limitless.  Sooooo many possibilities with this phone.

Anywho, here's my question.

Seeing as how I've never personally owned any kind of touch screen, the closest I've come is just playing around with my buddies' iphones.  Obviously, the lag issues are probably going to be non-existant (or unnoticeable) for me due to a lack of experience...but I WOULD like to have the quickest running phone possible.  So, how do I go about upgrading the OS shipping with the release phones?  I.e., once I have the phone in my happy clutches, how do I physically upgrade to the 1.6 version (or donut? i think)?  Firmware?

I'm kinda lost.

Just wanted to know if there's some kind of a disc with programs i need to download to my computer, then upload to the phone....or if it's something I take to the sprint store and have THEM do...or something as simple as going to a website FROM my phone?

Again, sorry for being so noobish on this topic, but it IS going to be my first smartphone, and I'd really like it to be operating at optimum levels.

Checked around on the forums, but didn't see any type of an f.a.q. or anything.

My apologies in advance for the questions , but any help would be greatly appreciated.

CHEERS,

and thanks

cory

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

bronconia wrote:

Anywho, here's my question.

Seeing as how I've never personally owned any kind of touch screen, the closest I've come is just playing around with my buddies' iphones.  Obviously, the lag issues are probably going to be non-existant (or unnoticeable) for me due to a lack of experience...but I WOULD like to have the quickest running phone possible.  So, how do I go about upgrading the OS shipping with the release phones?  I.e., once I have the phone in my happy clutches, how do I physically upgrade to the 1.6 version (or donut? i think)?  Firmware?

I'm kinda lost.

Just wanted to know if there's some kind of a disc with programs i need to download to my computer, then upload to the phone....or if it's something I take to the sprint store and have THEM do...or something as simple as going to a website FROM my phone?

and thanks

cory

Heres the thing Cory. You could use a custom ROM like the ones Cyanogen cooks up, which I hear are pretty snappy, however this is going to drasticly change your phone in a number of ways.

The first being you will have to root your phone. Rooting is more or less opening up your phone so that you can gain Root access. This is probably where you should be very careful. You can easily mess up your phone doing this. Its commonly refered to as "bricking" your phone.  Who really wants to break their phone? If you get passed this part, the rest is usually easy. I say if, because they have made it more difficult as of late to root and its unclear if Sprints handset will even be rootable at this point. I suspect it will be, but it might take some time before theres a guide to doing so.

The next problem you will run into is that you will not have Sense UI. Since HTC owns the UI, you will more than likely not find it cooked into a ROM. Certainly not legally anyways. So you will be running a no frills version of Android. Which you will end up customizing to your liking with available apps off the market.

You will also most likely void the warranty on your phone if say you brick it. Good luck trying to explain that one.

Or.

You could just wait for HTC and Sprint to send you an OTA update. No word on how long thats going to take, but I doubt it will be all that long after we get our Heros. 1.6 has already started showing up, so its only a matter of time before HTC puts their polish on the firmware and sends it to Sprint.

The best way to keep your Hero snappy is probably going to be to not run a lot of background apps, and use a task killer. I really think you'll be fine with the Hero straight out of the box. Just remember that you arent working with unlimited memory on the phone and you will be fine.

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

To further clarify, when "upgrading firmware" on your cell phone normally there's a section under "options" that will say "update phone" or something of the sort. So you simply click update software and it will download for free to your phone over the air. This phone may even upgrade itself or prompt the user (you) to upgrade your phone when the upgrade is finally released from sprint. You shouldn't have to go into a sprint store, download drivers from the internet, or get a cd and transfer the upgrade. Sprint tries to make the process painless. Hope that helps.

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Operating System

That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks.

Edaze, very helpful info as well, but like you said, it's complicated and until I really familiarize myself with the phone I probly won't be attempting any kind of "bricking" .   Without a doubt my phone would be broken faster than I could eat a snickers (really really fast).

cheers again everybody, and thanks

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat