Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

Wizard

HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

A software update is available for the HTC Hero.

You can initiate the update from the Settings, About Phone, System updates, Firmware update.

Feature Updates and Enhancements

HTC Hero Software Enhancement SW 1.56.651.2 provides feature updates and enhancements to address the following:
•    Improvement to camera picture quality
•    DST (Daylight Savings Time) issue addressed
•    Unable to receive SMS due to full memory
•    Memory leak when Bluetooth is in connecting state
•    3.5mm mono when not using headset with mic
•    Dialer application causing excess battery draw

Important note:  Dedicated Mute/Speaker buttons have been added to the Talk screen

Verification of updates:
To verify the customer has the updated build after the update:
1.    Press Menu, Tap Settings
2.    Flick Up, Tap About Phone
3.    Scroll up and check Software version: After update 1.56.651.2

140 REPLIES 140
Journeyman

Check your signal.  I know on days when I'm home (and using my phone more because I'm not at work) I get a lot longer battery life than when I'm at work.  I work inside a brick building and I don't get good signal at all.  I don't use my phone during the work day other than the occasional text message and when I get off work (8 hours) my phone is dead... totally.  It's all because of it's constantly searching for signal or bouncing back and forth between roaming and sprint.

I've had this problem with all my phones and I'm used to it.  I keep my phone plugged in at work now and then it lasts until work starts the next morning.

I hope this helps.

Journeyman

@jonnythan

Then that must mean you are in a true CDMA EvDo rev. 0 area. Reason why I say that is because I went back to the store yesterday and swapped out my original Hero for a new one that has 'with Google' on the back instead of HTC and now that issue has been corrected. My new device is as follows:

PRI: 1.70_003

Build #: 1.56.651.2 CL85027 release-keys

My phone is now correctly displaying CDMA EvDo rev. A. When the store representative and manager noticed and verified the change they then pulled all their remaining stock of Hero's with the HTC logo on the back and are sending them back. I didn't know if that was necessary, but the manager insisted on doing it as she had a Hero like mine and changed hers out as well.

Journeyman

How do we revert back to the software version prior to the update?

I tried what I thought was a Hard Reset, back to "original state" (Menu-->Security-->Factory Data Reset) but like the name says, it just wipes out data and apps. After the reset, my software version is still 1.56.651.2 and the PRI is still 1.70_003.

To be honest, I've been content with Handcent solving the SMS Up Time/Awake Time issue, and the rest of the "fixes" in this update aren't worth the loss of apps for which I paid. I have no idea how or when I will get those back, so I'd rather un-do the update. Is it possible?

Incidentally, I bought my Hero at Best Buy pre-launch and got a model without "with Google" stamped on the back. It got dust under the screen within a week and I finally traded it in yesterday for a brand new Hero at BB. However, I am having all kinds of issues with my browser not loading pages, losing connection, acting sluggish... I thought I got a lemon that now says "with Google" on the back, but...

Is it a coincidence that I updated the new Hero with the enhancement and I have browser problems? I had not updated my first Hero.

Tim

Journeyman

timmydos wrote:

How do we revert back to the software version prior to the update?

I tried what I thought was a Hard Reset, back to "original state" (Menu-->Security-->Factory Data Reset) but like the name says, it just wipes out data and apps. After the reset, my software version is still 1.56.651.2 and the PRI is still 1.70_003.

To be honest, I've been content with Handcent solving the SMS Up Time/Awake Time issue, and the rest of the "fixes" in this update aren't worth the loss of apps for which I paid. I have no idea how or when I will get those back, so I'd rather un-do the update. Is it possible?

Incidentally, I bought my Hero at Best Buy pre-launch and got a model without "with Google" stamped on the back. It got dust under the screen within a week and I finally traded it in yesterday for a brand new Hero at BB. However, I am having all kinds of issues with my browser not loading pages, losing connection, acting sluggish... I thought I got a lemon that now says "with Google" on the back, but...

Is it a coincidence that I updated the new Hero with the enhancement and I have browser problems? I had not updated my first Hero.

Tim

If a factory reset doesn't work, you can reflash the original firmware.  Read this thread for details (they also have a link to the original firmware):  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=586258

FYI:  I have done this multiple times and other then initial driver communication issues with the PC, it's worked just fine for me.

Journeyman

Yes, thanks very much for the updated firmware. My Jabra BT8010 was absolutely worthless with the original BT software, but it is now pairing and connecting with ease. STS messaging is working and I'm very pleased with the Hero's functionality. Next, voice dialing through the bluetooth headset!

-- GadsHill

Journeyman

Updated last night and all my apps are still there.  Pandora even started working again!

Thanks for improving the camera!  It was a little frustrating having a _crummy_ 5MP camera in my pocket all the time, I was still carrying my tiny 3MP camera but maybe I will stop now if it does well.  (A flash would be nice though....)

Have not yet tried rebooting to see if my personal app bug is still there: App names were getting corrupted on reboot.  In most cases the apps still worked, but the names were reset to the main package name.

Doesn't look like I have a battery life bug so far.  I recharge every night - very different from my last, non-smart phone which was about every 3 days - but under heavy internet use I might only get 5 hours on a charge.  With "normal" use I seem to have half a battery when I go to bed at night.  Use the internet (Twitter and txt and weather and search/browse) way more than I use the phone.

Journeyman

i cannot get the update to work.  i click on firmware update and nothing happens.  suggestions?

Journeyman

I just reverted back to the stock rom with the RUU posted on xda developers and will re-install my paid apps. then i will update to the latest release by HTC and Sprint. It's ashame that we customers / users have to take matters into our own hands to get things solved. HTC has clearly responded to many users already stating that it is not their issue and to take it up with Sprint. That's bad business in my book. Google clearly has issues dating back to when Android was first made that still haven't been fixed for current users stuck with 1.5 (email to sms texts causing merged threads) and I doubt they will jump on this. That means we are stuck waiting to see what Sprint can do.

I hate to say it but I'm sure that leaves a lot of sour grapes in people's mouthes because it is not easy to get a refund after 24 hours for an app that you no longer have access to. So I'm sure many users will just root and go the gray way.... and at this point I can't blame em.

Journeyman

Post the upgrade, I'm not seeing some paid for apps. I called Sprint, and they transferred me to HTC. HTC has escalated the issue internally and should be getting back to me.

If others are having the issue, you may also want to call in so that they are aware of how widespread the issue is.

What I suspect is that the signature of the phone changed and HTC needs to inform Google that this new signature is valid released production code.

The issue is that DataViz Documents-to-Go (full), and Sprite Android Backup (full) are no longer visible to the phone.

(Those are the 2 apps I've paid for).

Other apps seem to have the issue as well based on other forum posts.

Please call HTC ( 866-449-8358 ) and report what apps you are no longer seeing.

Thanks!
Journeyman

Took about twenty minutes tops, but I am now working correctly again and all my paids apps are back with the latest rom update. Had to revert back to the stock rom, install my paid for apps from the android market, and then update the rom via the firmware update program.

...now I just have to hope I don't get hit with another bug that causes me to have to hard reset because then I will be back at square one. or at least until this issue gets fixed.

thanks to all the people that linked to the RUU stock rom file on xda developers and for instructions on how to get back up and running. I just couldn't wait for them to fix this when I could do it on my own as I was unable to download power manager full and twidroid pro because of this. And those two programs are very important to me, especially power manager full.

Journeyman

Buy a copy of My Backup Pro on the market ($4.99).

Lets you backup apps, contacts, email, texts, etc, etc.

Then you won't need to wory about it again.

It re-installs the backed up apps quickly.

Journeyman

What does it mean to be in a "true CDMA EvDo rev. 0 area"?  I have this and the HTC branded phone ... should I be worried?

What is PRI?

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat