cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

Joe --

I'm not having any of those problems with the update. It has gone extremely smoothly for me with no adverse consequence that I'm aware of. Awake time is around 10 to 12% with average use of the phone.

-- GadsHill

Journeyman

I'm not using my Hero anymore as a phone and have the Moment. But I still use the Hero via wifi. Seem to get the same error others are having.

The firmware update could not be completed. Please try again later. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service Error code: 1012.

edit: the download can only be done via OTA via the mobile network, not over wifi. actually had sprint tech support lie to me saying I could download it from HTC's site.

I need to support the phone since others at work use it. I prefer the Moment so that's my phone. A bit of BS that you can't keep the phone up to date even after you paid for it. Perfectly capable wifi device. Maybe I'll just switch phones, do the update and switch back. Then just raise some hell if they try to charge me for it.

Message was edited by: crogs571

Highlighted
Journeyman

crogs571 wrote:

I'm not using my Hero anymore as a phone and have the Moment. But I still use the Hero via wifi. Seem to get the same error others are having.

[quote]The firmware update could not be completed. Please try again later. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service Error code: 1012.[/url]

I'm pretty sure you cannot do the OTA update over WiFi.   Have you tried with WiFi off?

Journeyman

Well, some of your problems are easy. Stop using a task killer for one. It's clearly shutting down more than it is supposed to and they are entirely pointless anyway. With a task killer you are pretty much 100% of the time making your phone run worse than without one.

That's nonsense.  I've gone 24 hours with the task killer and 24 hours w/o the task killer and the phone has never slept a second in either case. Prior to the update I used the task killer all the time and the phone slept like a baby.  I'm still using the same apps as before the update, no additions and no updated apps.

So something else is obviously the problem and the ONLY difference was the update.

Journeyman

Correct, the OTA update can only be done via the mobile network on a phone that is on an active line. A bunch of bull. You can pay hundreds of dollars for the phone but you can't have it updated. So now I have to hop online, activate the phone, do the update, reactivate my Moment. Kind of a pain. Can't do any sort of download and install from the PC either.

Though if the Hero isn't that problematic it might not be worth doing since it kills the ability to access paid apps in the market and who knows when they'll fix that new bug or whatever other ones might've been introduced.

Journeyman

Re: wifi without Sprint connection?

crogs571, how did you get the Hero to use WIFi without being actively connected through Sprint? I tried before and it would not see WIFI without being currently connected to a Sprint account...

Journeyman

It was once activated, but then I switched to the Moment. Turned off the mobile network and just connect via wifi. Hasn't been a problem. Haven't done anything special. Maybe it just initially has to be activated.

Journeyman

That's funny. Mine had been activated previously and it simply would not work once deactivated. I'll try it again...thanks.

Journeyman

If I can think of anything special or different, I'll let you know.

Journeyman

Sunday 4:30pm PST.

Used the Paid Version of MyBackup to backup apps and data to be on the safe side.

Did a PRL backup 60654>60657

Did the Firmware backup from 129.65.1>1.56.651.2

I was very patient.  It seems like it took forever for some tasks but I just waited.  I should have timed it, but on the last re-boot I must have waited 10 minutes and then it all came up again

Everything seemed to work for.  All apps are still there and I checked for one of my paid apps and it was there in the marketplace.

I have an early phone (pre-Google) and it still says CDMA - EvDo rev.0, but I'm not sure what that means (I live in the SF Bay Area).

Otherwise, for whatever reason, the upgrade seemed to work for me.

Journeyman

There's no such menu on my HTC Hero! (Settings, About Phone, System updates, Firmware update). I've only a menue "Firmware Download" in the Security options. But it's ony an automatic update! I can't start a manual update!

Journeyman

I asked on another thread and didnot get a response maybe someone on this thread has experienced this after the update.  When texting if I move the hero slightly to the right it turns to landscape and will not go back to potrait unless I go to the home screen and start over.  Any ideas on how to correct this?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat