cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

Still a text (display) error.  The phone gets RevA speeds.  There's only so much space in a OTA update and that bug didn't make the cut.  The fix is coming.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

wengla02 wrote:

Still a text (display) error.  The phone gets RevA speeds.  There's only so much space in a OTA update and that bug didn't make the cut.  The fix is coming.

That's ridiculous. Just because there's not enough space in OTA they take it out. They have to do something with size limit on OTA, might as well just release it on the HTC site if thing's are going to be taken out. So, I guess when they release the Android update it's not going to be through OTA.

Journeyman

I wouldn't hold my breath about an update. The phones microprocessor is only reading the chip ID.  Apparently, the chipset has been incorrectly manufactured with the Rev.0 label,although it also runs on Rev.A.   Unfortunately, i believe it wouldn't be possible to correct the reading cause its a permanent "burn" in the chip (At least, that's how it works in a PC).  However, i personally compared the 2 revision phones side by side and concluded that both phones run at the same speeds. Sprint has also stated that the phone is only displaying an error in text.

Message was edited by: zeusautomotive

Journeyman

My phone reports RevA, my friends Rev0.  We tested side by side (Speedtest.net) and got VERY close to the same speeds.  Don't sweat it.

Journeyman

Oh naw I don't care about the Rev. issue, my phone has w/ Google and shows Rev.A. I was just sayin' it's ridiculous how there's a limit and only Sprint is the one with limited OTA.

Journeyman

wengla02 wrote:

I curious of something.  If this is a text bug, why are there reports of HTC Heros out there that actually say EVDO Rev. A when they are in Rev A area?  Curiously, these are phones with the Google branding on them.

I am to understand here that there is no difference between the phones with Google branding and the ones without Google branding...but apparently there is, at least on the software level.  The text string for those phones was fixed and they show Rev A.  I wouldn't think this would be difficult to put in the OTA since it was fixed in the newer phones before the SMS wake lock and the Bluetooth stack issues (those phones also had the SMS and Bluetooth issues).

So, right now, the lesson learned here is don't go out and pick up any of the Sprint's newest phones in the first week of release...Sprint will fix the issue on additional phones that they sell, but for those that are early adopters?  Sorry, you're out of luck.

Journeyman

wengla02 wrote:

That is pure bull and you know it, the update included a full new cooked rom with all new sprint .apk's and a few updated htc .apk'.

Journeyman

tkirton wrote:

wengla02 wrote:

I curious of something.  If this is a text bug, why are there reports of HTC Heros out there that actually say EVDO Rev. A when they are in Rev A area?  Curiously, these are phones with the Google branding on them.

I am to understand here that there is no difference between the phones with Google branding and the ones without Google branding...but apparently there is, at least on the software level.  The text string for those phones was fixed and they show Rev A.  I wouldn't think this would be difficult to put in the OTA since it was fixed in the newer phones before the SMS wake lock and the Bluetooth stack issues (those phones also had the SMS and Bluetooth issues).

So, right now, the lesson learned here is don't go out and pick up any of the Sprint's newest phones in the first week of release...Sprint will fix the issue on additional phones that they sell, but for those that are early adopters?  Sorry, you're out of luck.

I have not seen these reports. If you have a link to such reports, I'd be interested to see them.

My phone says Rev 0, but it's obviously operating at Rev A speeds. You can't get 700-900 Kbps up on a Rev 0 link.

By the way, I got my phone October 9 at 9 AM, two full days before the official release. I'm running the same updated software as everyone else and it's working great.

Journeyman

Nanan wrote:

wengla02 wrote:

That is pure bull and you know it, the update included a full new cooked rom with all new sprint .apk's and a few updated htc .apk'.

That's pretty much all it included. I suspect that the Rev 0 display bug is part of the RIL/radio ROM and would require a reflash of the whole thing. The Sprint update was, what, 4 MB?

Anyway, as an addendum to my previous post, here are some screenshots of my phone from a few minutes ago. Note the high upload (Rev 0 isn't even capable of 200 Kbps up) and Rev 0 display bug.

speedtest.png

network.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know how to post my results like jonnythan but I tested mine which still states rev O and my results were  1.05 Mb/s DOWNLOAD  0.09 Mb/s UPLOAD  398 Ping

Journeyman

My Hero is saying the software version is 1.22.651.1, but when I go to Firmware Update it always says No firmware update available. I tried with just the internet on, just wifi on, and then both on, but it always tells me there's no firmware update available. What can I do about this??

Journeyman

different thread (or read older posts here) - but basically, send a PM to wengla and he will give you 'official' directions...  turns out you need the 1.29.xxx version to get the update (not the 1.22.xxx version)...  his directions (or do some searching on google) will almost undoubtedly cause you to completely-factory-reset - so youll want to back up as much as you can first...  gl, h.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat