cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

Wizard

HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

A software update is available for the HTC Hero.

You can initiate the update from the Settings, About Phone, System updates, Firmware update.

Feature Updates and Enhancements

HTC Hero Software Enhancement SW 1.56.651.2 provides feature updates and enhancements to address the following:
•    Improvement to camera picture quality
•    DST (Daylight Savings Time) issue addressed
•    Unable to receive SMS due to full memory
•    Memory leak when Bluetooth is in connecting state
•    3.5mm mono when not using headset with mic
•    Dialer application causing excess battery draw

Important note:  Dedicated Mute/Speaker buttons have been added to the Talk screen

Verification of updates:
To verify the customer has the updated build after the update:
1.    Press Menu, Tap Settings
2.    Flick Up, Tap About Phone
3.    Scroll up and check Software version: After update 1.56.651.2

140 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2

Thank you for the long list of fixes great job.  Now I can go buy a Bluetooth headset.  Great job.

Journeyman

thank youuuuuuu!

Journeyman

Sarah,

I sent you and Will a private message on this but this is a real critical issue for many users. Purchased apps (as well as free) appear to be missing from the Android Market post update so many of us are unable to update/re-install or use these apps. There is a thread over on Google's Android Market help forum and one here as well as Sprintusers. Can you please escalate this to the Sprint product manager? I believe based on my research this has to do with the fact that after the update the Sprint Hero identifies itself differently than before and this causes this issue. The fix should be on Google's side and not require a software update to the phone.

Either way this is a huge problem since it's stopping me from using products I legally purchased. I would get this fixed before it gets out of hand and starts being picked up by blogs, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Related thread:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=34a071cd60d59177&hl=en

Journeyman

Yes, thanks a lot for the update......very cool

1. I agree with the previous post. Lots of missing apps from my list of those purchased.Fortuanely, I had made backups.

2. It's amazing how much the picture quality has improved with the camera. It's actually usable now!

Wizard

BUNK wrote:

2. It's amazing how much the picture quality has improved with the camera. It's actually usable now!

yeah, I can't get over how great the camera action is now.  I don't have to say, "okay, now stay very, very, very, very still....."

Thanks Sarah for posting the release notes!

Amazing how these few items can really improve the performance of the phone.  This will hold over many people until 2.0 including myself.  I do hope the paid apps thing gets figured out.  On the google forums, it looks like an Eris owner posted a similar thing in Appy Conversations, it it might be more widespread on Google's end, but exaggerated by Hero users because we are updating a bunch of stuff now.

Journeyman

This is a great update. Thanks to everyone involved.

Journeyman

Definitely a welcome update which has improved my (already mostly positive) experience with the phone quite a bit.

Thanks so much for your efforts in providing information and keeping us updated, Sarah.  Letting the community know when an update is in the works is exceptionally valuable and very much appreciated!

Journeyman

I'm still experiencing horrific battery drain after the update last night.  WiFi is off, Bluetooth is off, background data synch is off, mobile is off.....

why did I get this phone if I have to turn all this off and STILL get no battery life????

WHAT IS SPRINT DOING TO HELP PEOPLE DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE????????????????????

I've had the phone for less than a week and I'm considering returning because this is ridiculous.  IMHO Sprint needs to at least provide a backup battery to customers until the REAL fix is determined.

Journeyman

How can you back up information on the Hero?

Apps?

Contacts?

Can you back it up to the SD card?

Also, is everyone else getting the calendar issue (event information says the event is the day before, including holidays)?

-----

Unrelated comment:

Thank you so much for this update.  I am very happy with my phone.