cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero Text history won't delete

Wizard

HTC Hero Text history won't delete

Have several threads with many text SMS messages in them, probably about 6,000 in total. The phone is lagging so I'm trying to clear some of these messages out.  When I try to delete some of the large threads it doesn't work. Sometimes it comes back and tells me it's out of memory.

Is there any good way to get these delete or do I have to wipe the whole phone and start over?

I've been trying to find info on the site but haven't seen any solution that seems to work.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero Text history won't delete

I have the same issue and I just keep trying until it finally deletes it.

Wizard

Ended up giving up and resetting the phone. Had one thread over 1500 messages, and no matter how many times we tried it would just fail.

Journeyman

Oh my I have over 3000 in one thread and I haven't attempted to delete it yet but will try.

Journeyman

I know this is kinda opposite on what others are trying to do, but is there any way I can back-up my texts? I have to restore my phone to fix my YouTube App, Flash & the hour time display difference between my sent & received text messages. Thanks!

Journeyman

Same problem,  I use HandcentSMS. I cannot delete Threats that are larger then 300 messages. I have on with 2000 messages and I have to delete one by one, because I get the Foreclose message and then the phone freezes up (only in txt message) i have to restart to have the txt function back.

Because of those messages the phone has slowed down drasticly. Refuse to doa hard reset because you loose all your settings.

Also when is the new upgrade coming out?

Journeyman

I use Handcent SMS and had the same problem. I had one message that had over 7000 messages in the thread. When pressing and holding on the thread you wish to delete and the screen comes up with the options look at the bottom of that list there is an option force delete. That worked for all of mine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem here with stock text app. Can't delete the texts.

Journeyman

Just download one of the few message deleters from the market. 

Journeyman

I've kinda been having the same problem but I noticed that when I go to 'All Messages' and press the Menu key then select Delete and mark the threads I want to delete with an X it will usually do the job successfully but it takes a long time to delete larger threads (500+ SMS) for some reason. Today it took about 20 minutes to delete a thread with around 1000 messages. I really wish HTC would fix this issue, it shouldn't take so long.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat