cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero: The only Android phone without 2.1

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Hero: The only Android phone without 2.1

About 15 minutes ago, I heard a rumor that the Samsung Moment has finally gotten the long awaited 2.1 update. I checked the Sprint downloads section to verify this, and imagine my shock when I found out that it was true. So now it seems that every Android phone except the HTC Hero has 2.1 Eclair. Now I don't know what to really make of this. Are they really going to wait until the EVO comes out, which is rumored to be coming out with 2.2, to finally release the 2.1 update for the Hero? Give me your feedback.

31 REPLIES 31
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero: The only Android phone without 2.1

The complete lack of communication by Sprint is EXTREMELY frustrating.  I want the update to 2.1.  My phone lags when typing, the camera quality isn't good, there are apps that I would like to have that I can't because they don't support a version of Android that is 3 versions old, and the battery life stinks.  I think the 2.1 update is supposed to address some of those problems.

Journeyman

Do you know that there is a 2.0 firmware update for the HTC Hero on the HTC.com web site? The only problem is that it warns you that it will wipe out all existing programing on the phone making it useless as a sprint phone. This confounds me as to why there is the 2.0 update on the products website yet Sprint continues to lie to us! I know they're waiting for the Evo to hit the market.

Journeyman

I would think you would use that update if:

1. You are a developer
  2. Have an Unlocked Phone
Patron

they can wait all they want but its going to be hell that they are going to catch from all these hero owners. i like my hero and i dont want to give it up but the lagging problems do wear you down after awhile

Journeyman

Actually, it is only Android phone on Sprint without 2.1. There are other Android phones without 2.1.

Message was edited by: knaveofspades

Journeyman

Isn't that just awesome. Before today, I was only mildly concered with the lack of an update, however, both phones that were introduced after the Hero have been updated. I understand that the Moment does not have Sense... but the Eris does... Now I'm kind of ticked.

Journeyman

The 2.1 update is not going to fix any of these issues. If you think your battery life is bad now, just wait until after the update. I'm not sure what kind of issues you're having with your camera, but an OS update is not going to fix your hardware problems. Also, the 2.1 update will cause even more lag on the hero due to the fact that it's having to run both Android and Sense at the same time. The 2.1 on the Droid is not as bad because it does not have the Sense UI. I'm excited about getting the update, but I'm kinda nervous about what issues it's going to cause.

Journeyman

cornm wrote:

The 2.1 update is not going to fix any of these issues. If you think your battery life is bad now, just wait until after the update. I'm not sure what kind of issues you're having with your camera, but an OS update is not going to fix your hardware problems. Also, the 2.1 update will cause even more lag on the hero due to the fact that it's having to run both Android and Sense at the same time. The 2.1 on the Droid is not as bad because it does not have the Sense UI. I'm excited about getting the update, but I'm kinda nervous about what issues it's going to cause.

The camera can be addressed with a software update.  Software controls shutter speed as well as the software that renders the image.  That can help reduce bluring when you are taking pictures.  Macro focus was added in 2.0.

See some of the other things that came in 2.0 here:  http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0-highlights.html

Another useful video:

Just got a call back from HTC regarding the 2.1 update while I was typing this.  They said that they plan on having 2.1 for the Hero released on their site for the Sprint Hero by the end of the month.  It will be available at www.htc.com/us in the support section.

Journeyman

With all the nonsense that sprint customers have been putting up with for the Hero, I wonder why not give us hero users a huge discount on the Evo!!!!!

Journeyman

This endless delay is really starting to anger me. I was pretty upset to see the Eris get updated this week, but now that the Moment's running 2.1, I'm mad enough to punch a baby.  I've heard that the delay was caused by issues with SenseUI, but that doesn't seem valid seeing as the Eris was updated. Then I heard it's an issue with the Sprint bundled apps, but now that the Moment has been updated, that also seems fishy.

I've still got a year and a half before I can upgrade my phone, and paying the non-contract price for a better phone isn't an option financially. Thank you Sprint for leaving me stuck with a laggy piece of crap phone.  I only wish I could throw my Hero through the front window at Sprint headquarters.

Journeyman

cornm wrote:

Every review I've read of the leaked 2.1 roms has said that lag is greatly reduced and battery life is better.  Here's one review:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04/17/detailed-mega-review-of-android-2-1-on-our-htc-hero-discover-all-the-new-features-with-lots-of-screenshots/

If you read the forums where they tell you how to root & flash your phone to leaked 2.1 roms, there is nothing but praise about the improvements to performance and battery life.  I haven't done it yet, because I'd prefer to wait for the official update, but as days go by...

On a side note, if your phone starts to lag really bad, use a task manager to kill unused background tasks to get rid of some of that lag.  I use Task Panel, but there are several out there.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat