Did you mean: 

HTC Hero update to Android 2.1 pegged for mid-March

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero update to Android 2.1 pegged for mid-March

i give up on the update.

Journeyman

I wouldnt give up too soon. Let's think about it. Sprint is due out with the EVO and the N1 this summer (June - September). In the mean time, they have a presumably large inventory of Heros and Moments they want to sell. Why would you wait on an upgrade to the Hero and/or Moment when you can simply wait a few more days and get it with the phone on the N1 and EVO?

You bet your android Sprint asked the same question to themselves.

They would be killing their own sales by leaving such a large gap between rev levels. But the upgrade opporunity plays the other way too. If they wait too long, you'll get the 2.1 update and you wont want to buy the EVO and N1 when they come out (if you base your purchase on the software and not the hardware aspect).

That leaves us right in the comfort zone for Sprint to get the 2.1 out very soon. Otherwise, they risk potential sales on either side of that window of opportunity.

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Journeyman

Every Sprint rep I talk to has a different answer on when this 2.1 update is going to roll out.  EVERY SINGLE ONE.  It's ridiculous!  The same thing happened when the CL14 rolled out.. some people would call up their local Sprint tech store and some reps there wouldn't even know there was an update even after it had been out for a week!  They admitted this problem later and publicy apologized and even said they would make sure everyone got memos on upgrades from now on. 

.... now it's happening again.

Sprint, please get it together before you lose the base of your cellular saavy members.  I know we don't really mean shit to you since most of your users have no idea what Android is, or that you even release updates at all, but the way you are handling this is completely the wrong way.

Journeyman

I litterally had a LOL moment when I was in Vegas attending a security vendors show (ISC West) and listening to what was coming out of CTIA.  We, the Hero community, are all wondering what the heck is happening with our (formerly) flagship phone and the 2.1 update.  When I heard about the Evo coming out with 2.1 I had to laugh.  After reading some more articles I laughed yet again to read that Sprint, HTC and Google have been working together for almost 2 years on this phone.  We knew that HTC had it's hands on 2.1 for some time since the Nexus one came out months ago.  But hey they were under NDA by Google right?  Right?  With Sprint fully involved in 2.1 development for the Evo why the delay for the Hero.  For that matter why the delay on all of the 1.5, 1.6 or 2.0 phones out there?

The Hero in my opinion was a stop gap Android phone until the Evo could come out...  To bad

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint

The Not Right Now Red Headed Step Child Android Phone™ on the Now Network™.

Journeyman

infamousjax wrote:

Every Sprint rep I talk to has a different answer on when this 2.1 update is going to roll out.  EVERY SINGLE ONE.  It's ridiculous!  The same thing happened when the CL14 rolled out.. some people would call up their local Sprint tech store and some reps there wouldn't even know there was an update even after it had been out for a week!  They admitted this problem later and publicy apologized and even said they would make sure everyone got memos on upgrades from now on.

.... now it's happening again.

Sprint, please get it together before you lose the base of your cellular saavy members.  I know we don't really mean **** to you since most of your users have no idea what Android is, or that you even release updates at all, but the way you are handling this is completely the wrong way.

You get different answers because none of them know any more than we do.

Early 2Q10. April 2010. That's it. Anything else is a rumor.

Journeyman

Unfortunately until we have the update on our phones I don't even count on early April.

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint

The Not Right Now Red Headed Step  Child Android Phone™ on the Now Network™

Journeyman

I thought that one of the points of this portion of Sprint's website was for customers to ask questions and have their questions answered by a Sprint representative.  Maybe I am just dreaming here, but wouldn't it be so wonderful to have a Sprint rep tell us for sure when the update is coming?!  I tried calling tech support, but we all know how much of a dead end that it, if 5 out 50 of those people knew their head from a hole in the ground it would be nothing short of a miracle!!

Journeyman

Why does anyone think that there is anything more than an internal deadline set at this point?  Sprint isn't going to give anyone a date until the date is 100%.  The worst possible thing they could do is tell the public April 15 and then miss the date due to a software conflict that none of the engineers could ever see coming.  Just be happy that they have committed to upgrading the Moment and Hero and are treating the customers like Apple and AT&T and just saying "If you want the new features, buy the new phone".  Have a little patience.

Journeyman

I don't know how long you've had your Hero, but I feel we've had patience. I feel about the time they get the upgrade on the Hero, is about the time I pay for the new Evo phone, which is going to be a better phone already with 2.1. Sprint is waiting longer than expected for most of us when a lot of people who have other services and devices have 2.1. My son has a G1 which has had some form of  an update. It has the new market and a few other upgrades. His phone is older and is faster and has more feature than mine.

Journeyman

Guys, HTC hasn't released 2.1 yet. Remember, the Hero is sold all over the world.

Sprint's not the holdup here. It requires a pretty significant lack of insight to think that Sprint is holding back the 2.1 update when HTC itself hasn't even released it.

Journeyman

http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/sprint-htc-hero-moment-android-21-update.html

Probably what they're talking about

Journeyman

jonnythan - any proof of this?  Lets see it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat