cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero vs. iPhone

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Hero vs. iPhone

So, I really like what I'm seeing about the Hero and a friend of mine wanted me to explain why I think it's better than the iPhone. Of course there's Flash support, the fact that it runs on Sprint, and the Hero running Android, but these things didn't seem to impress my friend (who has been with AT&T for a long time and might just be having a love affair with the iPhone). I guess I wanted to start a discussion about the Hero vs. the iPhone. Which one is better? Why? What are the implications of Flash support? Why is Android a big deal?

45 REPLIES 45
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I think Hero beats iPhone basicly by its ability to be fully customizable for your needs, and wants. And it has a much more organizable interface, not to mention, more attractive. Just over all, the capabilities are over whelming with the SenseUI and Android OS. Can match iPhone, if not surpass it... atleast until the next iPhone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good point with the customization factor...I've never been a fan of conformity (which may be why I have mixed feelings about the Chinless Hero) and if I were to buy an iPhone it seems to me like I'd be conforming in two ways: 1. In a general sense just by getting and iPhone I would feel like I was getting it just because 'everyone' else is doing it. An acquaintance of just bought an iPhone this weekend and I couldn't help but roll my eyes...she's just trying to be 'cool' which in her mind is being like everyone else. 2. In a more detailed sense the iPhones UI is so constrictive. Every single iPhone looks the same inside and out. I like the idea of Android & HTC's Sense UI b/c of its customizability. My Hero will look different than every other Hero out there. I promise!

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you want to see a comparison of features take a look at this http://www.sprintenterprise.com/hero/Why_Sprint.pdf. From my bias point of view I think that Hero is better then the iPhone. But being truthful it appears that the iPhone 3Gs has better video quality, more apps, and  the hardware looks a little bit more polished. The Hero has a better; UI,  camera, battery,  messaging and social network intergration.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Boiling down to the honest truth, its totally based on what YOU like. I just CANT convince a friend of mine that the Hero will be better than his Palm Pre'. Its nearly impossible to convince him. Which is completly fine! We just need to see it this way, the Hero can only get better as time goes on... as far as better ROM updates and so on... iPhone usually updates every phone. (as far as i believe) # of apps isnt a portion of anything to compare. Quality of Quantity. Face it, some people just love iPhone. Period. I don't Hero seems like my kind of phone. Yes, may not have best video, or picture quality (but 5MP camera is nice) but hey, I already have a digital camera for those jobs, not a big deal for me. The phone, and its capabilities are endless! I cant wait to see whats in store for Android in the future... like I said, it can only get better.

Highlighted
Wizard

Exactly.  The customization and open OS is far better than the iphone.  Simple example, when you add something like a new keyboard for the Android through Better Keyboard application, the options are embedded into the phones OS and shows up on the global menus.  It isn't something that you have to enter each time you want to use that keyboard and then have it talk to the rest of the applications on the phone.  That is a very simple example, but this occurs all over the phone, camera applications, etc.  Another example of openness is how each application has the ability to use and embed other applications.  Watch a few of the Android developer videos, they all can build on each other very easily given the framework.  Android Market also doesn't restrict their applications like the apple app store does.

My iphone fan friend says, "I don't need multitasking if the app is coded right".  Which is totally false. Widgets are a wonderful advance to an OS and something I am sure that the iphone will go to in future iterations.  The one app at a time is really (a) lame and a (b) slow way to talk from app to app.  We can get all our information in one place at one time.  Imagine, and I will do this, that you want to watch your fantasy scores for football and watch the NFL scores at the same time and the world series is also going on so you grab a widget for MLB.com (not sure it exists....yet)....one then could also watch their favorite nascar or soccer team updates right on one page with small widgets filling the screen.  Of course you pay processor penalties, but you wouldn't have to flip from app to app every time you wanted to see what the scores were.  It's like an entire sports bar in your pocket!  The same can be said for business related multitasking, editing spreadsheets while emailing or texting.  All the while, you don't have to save, exit, switch, then resume...just bump it to the background and come back to it.  Or maybe you are in the Sprint Navigation and you want to check an email quickly, but it is still running and will prompt you for you next turn (I am guessing on this one, but I might be possible, it happens on the BB).

The only downside on the Hero or Android, which will come with Eclair I am sure, is that the iphone can use the dynamic pinch zooming on google maps and other applications.  Once Android implements this, remember it is only HTC Sense that has this for the browser and photos now, then we will be all up to speed.

The iphone 3GS has a slightly faster processor as well as no lag....but remember it is only running one app at a time.  Once I have my Hero, I will stop all the background processes and try to just run one application and I am sure it will be screaming fast, it already has very minimal to no lag already with the new ROM running a mess of widgets.

They come out pretty even overall, but I think the biggest one up for the Hero......it is on SPRINT, which has a better network, better customer service and waaaaay better plans.  My current plan $120 a month for me and wife to have everything unlimited plans would be over $200 with AT&T if you try to make them comparable.  I send texts and MMS constantly to my iphone friends because they all are limited to 200 a month or can't get them, chumps.  "Life without limits....Sprint".  That should be their new marketing campaign....although I am pretty sure someone already coined that one.

Highlighted
Wizard

BobBruff wrote:

In a general sense just by getting and iPhone I would feel like I was getting it just because 'everyone' else is doing it. An acquaintance of just bought an iPhone this weekend and I couldn't help but roll my eyes...she's just trying to be 'cool' which in her mind is being like everyone else.

Argh!  I hate the Apple Drones!  But I take a pretty hard stance against Apple, I don't even use itunes, I use Songbird, last.fm and Pandora....once the itunes updater started asking me to download safari, mobileME and iphone manager, I flipped and deleted it all.  Also, you know you also can't insure the iphone, and they break quite easily too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You mentioned Google Maps in your response and I've actually been wondering about this...

1. Is Google Maps Street View Flash based?

2. How does street view look on the iPhone?

3. Is it possible to use street view on the Palm Pre?

Highlighted
Wizard

BobBruff wrote:

You mentioned Google Maps in your response and I've actually been wondering about this...

1. Is Google Maps Street View Flash based?

2. How does street view look on the iPhone?

3. Is it possible to use street view on the Palm Pre?

1. It isn't flash based.

2. thanks for the meatball.....iphone can, but not like the Android.  BOOM, forgot about that one.  Android has the awesome compass view where you can move the phone and the views change.

3. Not sure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry, I just thought of another question...YouTube on the iPhone?

Highlighted
Wizard

BobBruff wrote:

Sorry, I just thought of another question...YouTube on the iPhone?

There are applications for YouTube mobile on the iphone and the Hero, and both play well.  They both will be able to directly upload video as well (3GS only of the iphone world).  The Hero can play it directly from the youtube website because it has Flash integrated into the browser, but it is a little jerky, that might improve with the new ROM, but I haven't seen anything yet.  iphone can not play flash content at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Hero, in no way trumps the iphone.......why? because Stevie Jobs says so!    lol  Just a little humor, and yes, in my opinion, the Hero is much better than the iphone, at least in certain categories.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat