cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero vs. iPhone

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero vs. iPhone

BobBruff wrote:

So, I really like what I'm seeing about the Hero and a friend of mine wanted me to explain why I think it's better than the iPhone. Of course there's Flash support, the fact that it runs on Sprint, and the Hero running Android, but these things didn't seem to impress my friend (who has been with AT&T for a long time and might just be having a love affair with the iPhone). I guess I wanted to start a discussion about the Hero vs. the iPhone. Which one is better? Why? What are the implications of Flash support? Why is Android a big deal?

Some people would sooner die than to admit a company finally came out with a product that is just as hood if not better than iPhone. There are, for me, far more reasons to go with Hero over iPhone. If your friend thought the Herk was made by Apple, he/she would probably be all for it.

Journeyman

Oops, sorry for the typos. I'm using my iPod Touch (have to use 2 different devices since my Instinkt phone doesn't serve the purpose)

Journeyman

http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/hero/index.asp

With "Htc Scenes" your phone can reflect your life, whether it be the weekend or workday or whenever...

Most people will set a phone to fit there business needs, and this is the look they see 24/7. But to truely reflect their life, for example,  on the weekend, they would need to recustomize the phone to fit their weekend needs, only to change it back for the workweek. But with HTC Hero scenes, it's as easy as pressing the weekend selection to instantly change your phone to the way you would want your phone to look on weekends, and choosing the way you want it to look on the workweek is as easy as selecting the option for work. Up to 7 scenes to reflect your lifestyle.

No longer are you opening individual apps to check twitter, flickr, or email, it's open already, depending what scene your using.

This is beyond customizing, this is Genius...

Wordwrapping a zoomed in email or web article is as easy as pinch and zoom, no more panning left to right...

Another is how the phone can adjust to the timezone your in automatically, throughout the phone universally, with no help from you.

The iphone may be a good phone, but it can't touch the Hero when it comes to reflecting your life...

My two cents...

Journeyman

mmark27 wrote:

BobBruff wrote:

Sorry, I just thought of another question...YouTube on the iPhone?

There are applications for YouTube mobile on the iphone and the Hero, and both play well.  They both will be able to directly upload video as well (3GS only of the iphone world).  The Hero can play it directly from the youtube website because it has Flash integrated into the browser, but it is a little jerky, that might improve with the new ROM, but I haven't seen anything yet.  iphone can not play flash content at all.

The beta version of Flash 10 for android is supposed to be offically released on Oct 6th.

The new Flash player will support Android, Nokia Symbian, Palm Web OS, and Windows Mobile powered devices, and is expected to be unveiled at the Adobe MAX conference for developers that is scheduled to take place in October.

Taken from http://www.talkandroid.com/1308-adobe-flash-player-10-for-android/

Take note of the missing platform in that statement. Of course, if I was a betting man, I would bet that "flash support" is going to be a key selling point in the next gen iPhone. The 3GSF. Hey, if the S can stand for speed, the F can stand for flash amirite?

As far as Android v/s iPhone goes, and I say that over Hero because the whole platform is going to rival Apples phone. As it stands now, the iPhone has 2 years over Android. Apple has a bigger app store, but again 2 years over android. In 2010, the gap is going to be closed, as more handsets enter the market.  Ones open, the other... not so much. If you want a phone that tells you what you can do with it, get an iPhone, if not, pick an android. Androids potential is still being realized so its only going to get better as time goes on. HTC has done a great job of pulling it all together with Sense UI. Motorola has Blur which just shows there is lots of ways to use the platform.

Journeyman

The PhoneDog guys did a nice 3 Part Series on this subject here's number One:

Journeyman

I love the iphone I would get one, but don't want to pay $40 a month for me to be on my grandmothers plan.  I don't see the point in paying $40 a month, when I could just stay on my mother plan with sprint and not pay anything. The main things the iphone has going for it is apps, it's hardware. The iphone is a speedy device. If andriod could gain the main apps that are on the iphone then andriod would be a monster, If we could get so phones with better internal hardware. Also google needs to allow people to run apps from your microsd instead of using up the internal space on the phone.

IMO

Hardware: iphone

Sexyness: iphone

Personalization: HTC Hero

Software: HTC Hero

Mutitaksing: HTC Hero

I think google or somebody need a commercial or something showing people about andriod and the apps. That's why the iphone is so big, when people see the commercial they be like dang my phone can do all that.

Journeyman

Quezz wrote:

I love the iphone I would get one, but don't want to pay $40 a month for me to be on my grandmothers plan.  I don't see the point in paying $40 a month, when I could just stay on my mother plan with sprint and not pay anything. The main things the iphone has going for it is apps, it's hardware. The iphone is a speedy device. If andriod could gain the main apps that are on the iphone then andriod would be a monster, If we could get so phones with better internal hardware. Also google needs to allow people to run apps from your microsd instead of using up the internal space on the phone.

I think google or somebody need a commercial or something showing people about andriod and the apps. That's why the iphone is so big, when people see the commercial they be like dang my phone can do all that.

I'm sure I have said this numerous times, but I'll say it once more anyway. The iPhone, and the app store have 2 years on android. Not to mention the only android phone that was out was the G1 on T-Mo for much of the that year. It didnt get much publicity. Not nearly what the myTouch is getting now. Android really lacked marketing. That all changes between now, and sometime early next year when 3 of the 4 major mobile companies all have between 3-5 different android devices.

Google just dropped an app to vote on the ADC2 apps that were submitted. Im glad they hold yearly challenges like this, but I really wish I could be evaluating some of these new apps. Either way, as the android platform continues to grow, so will the apps. It wont be long before the Market has iPhone owners crying because Apple and ATT have disapproved apps that Android owners get to use. The phone itself is really nice, but when you take into account AT&Ts network, and the lame approval process of Apple, it brings the phone down quite a bit.

I almost feel bad for AT&T. If they ever lose exclusivity with the iPhone, the churn is going to be very nasty.

Journeyman

I spent about 30 mins playing with the iphone 3Gs today at the at&t store... I must say it is a very nice phone, very responsive, it feels and looks good. I can see way the everyday person would fall in love with it. But those people who like to have options and like to arrange their phone to fit their lifestyle would look for another device. The more I think about the hero vs the iphone, I have to say it is a toss up. It just depends on what you want out of your phone. IMO... the iphone is like the pretty, popular girl that has tunnel vision whereas the hero is an well-rounded, above average girl that has plenty of substance. 

Journeyman

Cire wrote:

I spent about 30 mins playing with the iphone 3Gs today at the at&t store... I must say it is a very nice phone, very responsive, it feels and looks good. I can see way the everyday person would fall in love with it. But those people who like to have options and like to arrange their phone to fit their lifestyle would look for another device. The more I think about the hero vs the iphone, I have to say it is a toss up. It just depends on what you want out of your phone. IMO... the iphone is like the pretty, popular girl that has tunnel vision whereas the hero is an well-rounded, above average girl that has plenty of substance.

while I find the girl comparison funny, that's the furthest thought from my mind when talking about phones.

iphone is great but for me:

doesn't justify me spending the money on an ETF with Sprint

doesn't justify the extra money I'd spend for the same plan as I get from Sprint

I'd rather be on the 'newer OS' train that has the potential of being something cool while still having a pretty kickazz phone.

I'd rather have a phone that all the women downtown don't have.

Journeyman

I agree with you about the cost... the iphone 3Gs 16g is 299.99 and at$t charges 149.99 a month for the unlimited plan. That is just too much in my opinion for a phone. When you can get a phone that is considered equal or rated slightly less for 179.99 with any unlimited plan for 99.99 a month.  That is a savings of $720.00 the first year and $600.00 every year after that. I can think of a number of things I can do with an extra $600.00.

Journeyman

I've read here and there little mentions, as you wrote, about not being able to run apps from the microSD card on the Hero.

I haven't read any 'official' indications of this and I really don't want to believe it. haha

It just seems so counter to Androids goals for the Market.

So, can someone clear this up for me? Say it ain't so... pretty pretty please.

Thx!

Journeyman

According to CNET's video review by Bonnie Cha, you cannot run apps from the microSD. CNET also posted this... "The bad: The smartphone can occasionally be sluggish. Flash content didn't always work from the Web browser. Apps must still be downloaded to the phone's internal memory. Media syncing software would nice, as would be a file manager." http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-hero-sprint/4505-6452_7-33770450.html

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat