ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero vs. iPhone

Journeyman

Re: HTC Hero vs. iPhone

I read another review that sd the phone does have file manager just have to download the app. So many different reviews say diff things 1 loves this, the other hates that but loves this. I think were all getting the Hero and we can make our own unbias opinoin abt what it has and doesnt have. See u guys on the 11th.. LOL

Journeyman

It is true that you cannot run apps from the sd card, however, the Hero has a 512mb rom that has room for 150-200 apps in addition to the OS. This is double the amount of the G1 with 256mb,  which only had room foe 30-50 avg size apps. In my opinion this is very ample space.......who needs more than 200 apps!   

Journeyman

troyboytn wrote:

It is true that you cannot run apps from the sd card, however, the Hero has a 512mb rom that has room for 150-200 apps in addition to the OS. This is double the amount of the G1 with 256mb,  which only had room foe 30-50 avg size apps. In my opinion this is very ample space.......who needs more than 200 apps!  

100% Agreed. As long as pics and music will be stored on the sd card, I'll be just fine. I think most iPhone apps are a couple MB each. The only way you should fall short on internal memory is if you want a bunch of games. I'm not so much into playing games on my iPod Touch, so I don't see why I'll be any different with the Hero.

Journeyman

Hero has 288 megs of RAM and 512 megs of flash memory with approximately 125 megs free for your use according to most reviews.

Journeyman

I would like to point out that an off the shelf stock Hero can not run apps off the SD card, but a rooted Hero can. I believe that the ROM Cyanogen cooked used this to help free up space, which is why you often see people talking about the speed of their SD card a recommend getting one with a rating of 6. I believe the stock SD card that ships with it has a rating of 2, so theres a huge different in read/write times.

The app itself is called Apps2SD, I believe it requires root access and a 3rd partition on the card.

I donno if Andoid will ever address this issue by making it able to read/write apps to the card, or if the only solution will be to add more memory to the phones themselves. For the brave, however, there might be hope. Depending on the ablilty to root the CDMA version.

Journeyman

Right on...

Thanks for everyones responses.

It looks like I'll be rooting my Hero once i get bored with the out-of-box newness.

I have a jailbroken ipod Touch already so im pretty comfortable with the idea.

I do love my video games. If I'm going to only have a 125megs of onboard flash to store them it will fill up with a quickness.

Time to start pricing 16gb class 6 microSD cards...

Journeyman

Loved that series of three videos comparing the iPhone and Hero. They did a great job comparing the phones. And even though the iphone has some obvious perks/advantages, I like the overall concept of Hero and Android much more. Nevermind the fact that I don't have to switch to AT&T.

Off topic, I loved the video from phonedog when they received their first Hero in the mail and the screen was smashed. Noah's reaction was priceless !

Journeyman

Here's another comparison video, this one from SmartphoneCompetion, NOW can you imagine if this was conducted with the Sprint HTC Hero!!!!

Journeyman

Why you want a Sprint Hero instead of an iPhone

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/why-you-want-a.php

"Hero acts and feels like a slightly smaller multitasking version of the iPhone. Hero's sensitive touch and smooth finger scrolling is the best I've tried since the iPhone. It's got multi-touch capabilities, albeit a little herky-jerky ones, and it offers MS Outlook contact and calendar sync. It does most everything the iPhone does and more, even if Apple has 10 times the apps Android has… at the moment. And the Hero's looks are sophisticated: sleek and cool, admired by men, wanted by women."

This a good article worth reading, he points out the good and the bad about the Hero. These next few day won't go by fast enough. 

Journeyman

Cire wrote:

Why you want a Sprint Hero instead of an iPhone

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/why-you-want-a.php

"Hero acts and feels like a slightly smaller multitasking version of the iPhone. Hero's sensitive touch and smooth finger scrolling is the best I've tried since the iPhone. It's got multi-touch capabilities, albeit a little herky-jerky ones, and it offers MS Outlook contact and calendar sync. It does most everything the iPhone does and more, even if Apple has 10 times the apps Android has… at the moment. And the Hero's looks are sophisticated: sleek and cool, admired by men, wanted by women."

This a good article worth reading, he points out the good and the bad about the Hero. These next few day won't go by fast enough.

I'd say that overall it was a good assessment of the Hero in its current form. However, I have a couple of points.

It probably was not on 1.6, so that update should speed things up android a bit. Not clear if he tried using Peep (which by the way, was fixed today and is now working correctly, so sayeth the HTC tweet) which was causing issues as of late.

The camera. There has been a good amount of unhappiness with the camera. 5MP but always blurry. Its believed that can be fixed with a software update, so who knows.

The battery. Yeah its only got a 1500 mAh battery, but Im sure it wont take long for 2700 mAh batterys and rear covers to pop up. It'll bulk up the phone a bit I imagine, but at least it is an option.

Journeyman

The Heros / Android Turn offs..... Not the iPhone lol

!!! In short I would go with this phone if all of the turn offs would be changed to a simpler plan= less movable parts, limit to four or less physical buttons, Sync to MAIL, Address book, iCal and my iTunes Music. With my macintosh with out additional software, out of the box.!!!

Questions:

Does the calculator have a % button?

Do we really need flash websites?

Where are the games? Not that I play games.

Can you be online or get in to apps while your on the phone with someone?

Is there a feature to record phone calls?

Well to be serious: Turn Offs:

*The track ball, I never have thought this to be a good idea event on the Black berry. you have a touch screen!!!!

*I like the software keyboards when done correctly ( Enlarging the letter that your thumb is over is a big plus. )

*I dont know if it will sync to iCal or Mail easily with out any purchase of additional software.

*Android seems harder to navigate but after a week or two of learning it would be easer

*Does Android have a SDK? If so is it simple to understand? :O)  (SDK this will make it more simple to create appz.)

*Tethering a big issue on all phones all cell phone companies are trying to lock this down. This should be a feature of the phone, not a service that they charge for.

*ITS MISSING A LIST OF APPZ for the public to view. (if I am wrong, good.)

*this phone has to many physical buttons all it needs is one and a button for silents.

*I get dizzy from all the back and forth.

*Standard usb or (iPod lol) connection would be nice.

Turn Ons:

every thing else the phone has could be a turn on.

Looks like google isnt locking down the apps, people can make for droid. “Which makes it safe for Children”

I designed the iPhone and the Palm Pre they didnt add every thing I asked for in the specs. but I think they got pretty close. I have improvements on the designs (they will have to get ahold of me) sent an idea to Google too I think was it but unsure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H80Zyhu82M8&feature=player_embedded

Patrick B. McCutchan a Sprint user for up-to one more year, unless they get the iPhone.

"Great for business and great for life" is my goal.

Message was edited by: iampatrick

Wizard

iampatrick wrote:

The Heros / Android Turn offs..... Not the iPhone lol

!!! In short I would go with this phone if all of the turn offs would be changed to a simpler plan= less movable parts, limit to four or less physical buttons, Sync to MAIL, Address book, iCal and my iTunes Music. With my macintosh with out additional software, out of the box.!!!

Questions:

Does the calculator have a % button?

Do we really need flash websites?

Where are the games? Not that I play games.

Can you be online or get in to apps while your on the phone with someone?

Is there a feature to record phone calls?

Well to be serious: Turn Offs:

*The track ball, I never have thought this to be a good idea event on the Black berry. you have a touch screen!!!!

*I like the software keyboards when done correctly ( Enlarging the letter that your thumb is over is a big plus. )

*I dont know if it will sync to iCal or Mail easily with out any purchase of additional software.

*Android seems harder to navigate but after a week or two of learning it would be easer

*Does Android have a SDK? If so is it simple to understand? :O)  (SDK this will make it more simple to create appz.)

*Tethering a big issue on all phones all cell phone companies are trying to lock this down. This should be a feature of the phone, not a service that they charge for.

*ITS MISSING A LIST OF APPZ for the public to view. (if I am wrong, good.)

*this phone has to many physical buttons all it needs is one and a button for silents.

*I get dizzy from all the back and forth.

*Standard usb or (iPod lol) connection would be nice.

Turn Ons:

every thing else the phone has could be a turn on.

Looks like google isnt locking down the apps, people can make for droid. “Which makes it safe for Children”

I designed the iPhone and the Palm Pre they didnt add every thing I asked for in the specs. but I think they got pretty close. I have improvements on the designs (they will have to get ahold of me) sent an idea to Google too I think was it but unsure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H80Zyhu82M8&feature=player_embedded

Patrick B. McCutchan a Sprint user for up-to one more year, unless they get the iPhone.

"Great for business and great for life" is my goal.

Message was edited by: iampatrick

There are a lack of 3D games at this point, that I will give you. But I never play games either really, except suduoku, jewels or TRAP! (addicting)

Trackball comes in very handy at times

Hero's software keyboard has enlarged letters and better autocorrection/suggestions than iphone

Physical buttons are a plus and makes it easier to navigate the menus/quickly customize the settings,

Android SDK is the most complete I've seen and openly available...and very, very easy to understand it uses simple java,

it uses standard mini-usb connection (well, HTC bump on it, but standard ones fit just fine),

check out www.androlib.com = unofficial desktop app portal...no google didn't release a full desktop market to browse yet.

Droid is a phone for Verizon, not the operating system.  Google doesn't interfere at all with apps that people make for Android, they do however remove malicious ones after the users have spoken.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat