cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Sync Issue

Journeyman PGR
Journeyman

HTC Sync Issue

For the past few weeks the mouse cursor on my PC has been momentarily turning into the "busy" circle every 5 seconds or so. By momentarily I mean it's little more than a flash, but it's noticeable and annoying as heck because I don't like my computer doing things I can't explain. Each of these flashes was also accompanied by an equally brief activity spike in all four cores of my processor.

I finally had enough and began suspending processes to see what was causing this and you'll never guess what it was.

To make a long story short, I don't have the problem as long as I prevent the HTC Mobile Connectivity Suite (\HTC\HTC Sync\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe) from starting, but when I either let it start during startup or manually launch it from the Start menu, my mouse icon will start flashing again. I should add that the PC OS is Windows Vista x64 and the copy of HTC Sync I'm running came off of the SD card in the phone.

So is anyone else experiencing this?

Pete

Message was edited by: PGR

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: HTC Sync Issue

I believe there is an update for the Sync program, newer than what came on the phone.

(I just remember reading it somwhere, I haven't gone out looking for it.  (I don't/won't run Microsoft (or Apple) OS on any computer I own.)

On the other hand, I have seen problems on windows machine before like you describe with other devices (printers, wireless keyboards, and card readers come to mind.)

The culprit has *usually* turned out to be antivirus software taking a LONG time to scan files as they are accessed, and in almost every case it has been Norton causing the problem.

On anoter instance (a multi-function HP printer) the problem was outdated USB hardware drivers.  (If you have an Intel motherboard, try going to intel's support site, and updated the "inf" file for your MB, also check to see if there is a bios update, and for any actual USB drivers (although generally the updated .inf file for the hardware is all that is needed/available as far as USB devices are concerned, especially on newer boards, and since you mention a quad-core CPU, I'm guessing your hardware isn't some 6 year old MB with only USB 1.1 ports)

Journeyman PGR
Journeyman

Re: HTC Sync Issue

"and since you mention a quad-core CPU, I'm guessing your hardware isn't some 6 year old MB with only USB 1.1 ports"

No, it's not. I built it from the motherboard up using top-shelf enthusiast-grade and enterprise components about 8 months ago. It's about as bleeding edge as a Socket 775 / X48 workstation can get which isn't the latest and greatest anymore, but stuff built 2 months ago isn't either.

And It's all up to date and I don't do Norton. I dumped that bloatware about 5 years ago and switched to Kaspersky.

Pete

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat