Dear Sprint Admin  or  Kind Sprint Hero user,

How do you get the 2.1 update on your phone if you have no access to a PC

A very pissed Macbook owner right now

Thank you.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Help

Sorry for your pain. Do you live close to a library? They have windows PC's that you can use.

Journeyman

I tried to use Parallels v.4 running Windows XP Service Pack 3, to installed the leaked version a couple days ago, but wasn't successful. I installed the HTC Sync app, but ultimately when I ran the leaked 2.1 update, it hung at "Sending" for an hour each time I tried. Luckily it didn't harm my phone, I just had to pull the battery to reboot it. Then HTC Sync started to act buggy, so I don't know what was going on there. It seems something was amiss with the USB recognition, it looked like it recognized it, but the sync program wouldn't connect to the phone.

I upgraded to Parallels 5 this afternoon, (running the same Virtual XP machine) and did a repair of the HTC Sync and it seems to have been able to connect. That could mean absolutely nothing, I realize, but at least something is recognizing the phone. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope after all. I need to use my phone for the rest of the evening, but I will try to see if the Sprint release recognizes the phone and updates it, at 2 am probably. I'll post back the results

Also no luck using Crossover 8 either.

If any Mac users have found a virtual Windows app that does allow them to use Sprint's 2.1 Upgrade, please give us the details. I haven't had the need run many .exe files using Parallels, but have never had a problem doing so until now. I am NOT a Parallels expert, or an expert in running Windows on the Mac in general, hopefully someone out there is!

OSX 10.5.8

Journeyman

I just read in another thread that they took their phone to s Sprint store and they upgraded it for them. Is this an option for you?

Journeyman

Made a few calls, found out that any Corporate Sprint Store that is ALSO a Repair Center will do the update for you. The guy I talked to said they stop repairs much earlier than the hours listed on Sprint's website for that store, so call ahead. Hopefully this should help some people. The store I talked to is not quite accessible by public transportation, so I'll try again with Parallels tonight. Or start looking for a ride tomorrow!

Journeyman

It worked. It did freeze up at 69% and I thought I bricked my barely 3 week old phone! I shut down Windows and restarted it (kept Parallels 5 running), restarted the 2.1 upgrade, and it started updating right where it left off (or froze off!) So it's possible to do it on a Mac (Leopard), running Parallels 5, Win XP SP3.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat