cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Journeyman

Re: Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

If anyone is "desperate" for the 2.1 update. Root and flash one of the new 2.1 roms. They work great, save on power, and have resolved most glitches you would find in 1.5. There are a few new glitches, but most can be sorted out pretty easily. Those who just want to complain, well, I don't know what to tell you, except that its coming, sprint isn't behind, and its going to be awesome, so just try to keep it together.

Journeyman

So a screen grab posted on XDA (take all rumors with a grain of salt), says April is the soonest more information (information, not software) will be available regarding the upgrade.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=648780&page=2

It is near the bottom.  So the wait continues, as does the sloughing of customer base.

Wizard

This is not good.

Looks like I have to root the device after all

Journeyman

The fiirst Info Sprint officially released on the TP2 WM6.5 was "sometime in March" on a business fler around March 13th.  Then they "Officially" stated on March 16th that it would be available March 19th.  March 19th it was indeeed available.

So they went from its this Month to this day to available in about a week.  Taking that into consideration.  They used "coming weeks".  So that means less than 4 and then more info in April which is a week and a half away.  They can drop the info (a hard date) on us and within 3 days we got our update.

Only 1 devise got the update to 2.1 and that was starting in Germany then rolling out across Europe.  The "Droid" has had 2 is coming in a few days then nope sorry.  (that would piss me off more than waiting with no info).  Tmobile has nothing about an update for their phones.  ATT, well nuff said.

We are nearing the end of the wait.  Relax.  Just Hope that Google doesn't release 2.2 anytime soon.

Journeyman

I actually talked with tech support and they told me around March 22, 2010 2.1 will be available, I just hope their souce is accurate!!

Journeyman

Let's hope so!!!!

Journeyman

I tried this morning, with no luck.  Anyone else tried?

Journeyman

Pretty sure the update won't be over-the-air.

Journeyman

From AndroidCentral: http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-uses-announcement-nexus-one-pimp-android-21-moment-hero

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/articleimage/Phil%20Nickinson/2010/03/untitledsprint.jpg

What it says:

What you need to know:

• With all the anticipation of Nexus One joining the Sprint  Android family of great devices, customers with the HTC HeroTM and the Samsung MomentTM with GoogleTM may wonder about the Android 2.1  platform that supports Nexus One.

What you  need to do:

• We know that technology has enabled  greater productivity and spontaneity in our lives,and because of this we  have become very dependent on staying connected. Customers don't only  expect more from their wireless phones -- they demand it.

• Let  your customers know we are actively working on having the  Android 2.1 platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the  coming weeks.

• Look for more  information coming in April about Android 2.1 platform for Hero and  Moment.

And don't forget:

• The  HTC HeroTM and the Samsung MomentTM with GoogleTM are superior devices.

• Sprint is the only national U.S.  carrier to offer HTC Hero, and it picked up top honors as the Best  Mobile Handset at the 2010 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

• About.com  readers have nominated HTC Hero as their favorite smartphone for the  2010 Reader's Choice Awards.

Highlighted
Journeyman

that's excellent to learn there is likely more "information" (if not a release of 2.1) coming in April.  April is well ahead of June--hope springs eternal.

Journeyman

I just tried this morning also with no luck.

Journeyman

Got a text last night (on my new Hero) from Sprint touting the release of the new HTC EVO for the 4G network.    You bet it will be running 2.1.  

I'm now seriously concerned that Sprint is going to stick me with another "top-of-the-line dead end" phone.   This would make it the third for me, first the MotoQ, then the Touch Pro, now (possibly) the Hero.   I don't mind signing up for 2 more years to get a better price on a phone, but I do mind putting down $200 (more or less) every 6 - 9 months just to fix some broken capability that should be remedied with a free(?) upgrade.

I really would like 2.1 on the Hero, to hopefully fix some of the BT flakiness that seems to be prevalent in 1.5.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat