cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Journeyman

Re: Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Sprint isn't a communications company. Not in the sense you are inferring. They are  a utility. They provide a communications service but are no more communications centric than any other business. They are doing what is good for their business. What you people don't seem to get is that software is not a straight forward thing. There is lots that can go wrong and a lot of work and testing involved. For example, something as small as the automatic brightness not dimming when its dark could take tons of code rewriting and testing. We're dealing with an OS that is tailored to our device. There is tons of work and it takes months to get it working right. I can tell you right now they have most of it working, but there are still bugs. How do I know this? I am using a modified version of one of their test roms. Even modified, there are still some minor issues that everyone here would complain about all day long. As said before, you have a concrete date. They will have the update out before June 30. Don't get mad at them for not narrowing it down any more. It would only hurt them if something goes wrong and they have to take back their date. There were a lot of angry Droid owners for a similar reason. Sprint is doing a good job. If you really fell the need to rant, go to the Rants and Raves forum. Knock yourself out. But stop posting the BS that Sprint is a horrible company because they make decisions based on business and not on your silly little whims. Can a mod please end this thread? This is starting to get ridiculous. Everyone seems to just repeat the same stuff over and over.

Journeyman

I haven't read through all of these ridiculous posts but has anyone pointed out the obvious?

The update is coming from HTC.  It is not up to Sprint to release it, and Sprint is not responsible for telling people release dates.  Anyone with any familiarity with software knows that deadlines are never met. If Sprint gives out an exact date and HTC misses it, all of a sudden Sprint looks really bad.

People need to stop blaming cell phone companies for equipment issues.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

Chrispy17 wrote:

I haven't read through all of these ridiculous posts but has anyone pointed out the obvious?

The update is coming from HTC.  It is not up to Sprint to release it, and Sprint is not responsible for telling people release dates.  Anyone with any familiarity with software knows that deadlines are never met. If Sprint gives out an exact date and HTC misses it, all of a sudden Sprint looks really bad.

I think this is false. I'm pretty sure the update will be coming from Sprint.

Journeyman

I actually accepted the idea that the firmware update will occur someday. When? Who knows. I perused AT&T's and Verizon's website and compared what I'm getting in regards to services (Simply Everything Plan) and what they offer, gosh, that was enough to just be grateful for what I have. If I were to jump ship, get a Droid with 2.1 (with hopes to see the iPhone on a CDMA network, Sprint gets it afterwards.... of course) - I would have to fork out more $$$$ for less services!? Really. So while I cease to moan about the firmware on my device, in a non-defense-towards-Sprint kinda way, we as customers get more in other areas where Verizon customers don't. Verizon's contracts are still overly priced (how the heck do you think they pay for all those commercials on TV?). So I'll watch this thread in amusement and just accept that an upgrade will come soon. It's just pathetic since every phone I've had with Sprint had automatic updates in regards to firmware (which occured monthly, not quarterly or bi-annually).

Wizard

jonnythan wrote:

Chrispy17 wrote:

I think this is false. I'm pretty sure the update will be coming from Sprint.

Sprint will distribute the update.  Read this for an explanation of the update process.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/docs/DOC-1211

Journeyman

vespa5 wrote:

I actually accepted the idea that the firmware update will occur someday. When? Who knows. I perused AT&T's and Verizon's website and compared what I'm getting in regards to services (Simply Everything Plan) and what they offer, gosh, that was enough to just be grateful for what I have. If I were to jump ship, get a Droid with 2.1 (with hopes to see the iPhone on a CDMA network, Sprint gets it afterwards.... of course) - I would have to fork out more $$$$ for less services!? Really. So while I cease to moan about the firmware on my device, in a non-defense-towards-Sprint kinda way, we as customers get more in other areas where Verizon customers don't. Verizon's contracts are still overly priced (how the heck do you think they pay for all those commercials on TV?). So I'll watch this thread in amusement and just accept that an upgrade will come soon. It's just pathetic since every phone I've had with Sprint had automatic updates in regards to firmware (which occured monthly, not quarterly or bi-annually).

What phones have you had that have received monthly automatic updates?!

Journeyman

I just can't understand this sense of entitlement people feel with their phones.

You bought the phone with the software it had on it, and that's that. If you went out and bought a new laptop with Windows 7, knowing that Windows 8 was going to be released in a few months with a ton of awesome new features, you probably wouldn't bitch at the laptop manufacturer for not giving you a free update to Windows 8 at the earliest possible moment, would you? No, you wouldn't. In fact, when Windows 8 was released, you would go out and buy the upgrade disk and install it yourself.

So either be patient and wait for the update that Sprint is graciously giving you, or go download the software and update it yourself. Either way, stop frickin' complaining.

Journeyman

Being a software developer for the past 10+ years and having worked for various software companies in that time, i tend to get a little miffed when i see ignorant statements such as this.

jvermillion wrote:

You bought the phone with the software it had on it, and that's that. If you went out and bought a new laptop with Windows 7, knowing that Windows 8 was going to be released in a few months with a ton of awesome new features, you probably wouldn't ***** at the laptop manufacturer for not giving you a free update to Windows 8 at the earliest possible moment, would you? No, you wouldn't.

Where do I begin?  First, if you want to try and play the you paid for it with the software it had at the time card so you have no right to expect anything card...here is where your sorely mistaken...When microsoft releases a new version of windows they dont release it and call it a day.  They release regular updates freely to keep up support, fix bugs, and so on.  After they release the newest version they still, yep you guessed it, continue to release updates for not only the new version, but the previous version as well.  and they continue to do so for quite some time after the previous version has been around (XP was still receiving regular updates even after 8 years, 9 years, etc)

Every software company I have worked for as a developer has done this as well.  If a customer purchases a product, they will continue to receive updates for said product simply because there will always be bugs in software (just some bigger and more apparent than others).  The fact that HTC released the phone on 1.5 and has only issued 2 updates to fix bugs that im aware of. 1 fixed a lot of lag issues, the other fixed pitiful camera and 100% awake battery drain issue.

So going by your stance that we are not entitled to an update is far from the norm in any decent software company.  Even the software i write and sell on the side will get bug fixes when found.

Again by your definition that they are doing us a favor by giving us an update even though they are not obligated is completely destructive to any software companies reputation and would be looked upon closely by new customers.  Why you ask?  Simple, who wants to spend the money on a computer (and yes a smartphone is no different than a computer at this point) that will no longer be supported either as soon as its released or within the first 2-3 months of its release?

Smartphones are not set top dvd players, calculators, or even a clock radio that is not updateable and thus the expectation of updates that fix the frequent bugs are expected.  Especially considering we are also paying a monthly service fee.

Ive said this before, the only thing most of the people on these boards are expecting is to have the issues with the software they purchased to be fixed whether that be releasing fixes to 1.5, or a full on upgrade to 2.1.  Id be fine with it not being 2.1 if they were to actually release timely updates to fix the current issues...MMS not working, dialer lag, ring lag, etc.

Journeyman

jmiller808 wrote:

Being a software developer for the past 10+ years and having worked for various software companies in that time, i tend to get a little miffed when i see ignorant statements such as this.

jvermillion wrote:

You bought the phone with the software it had on it, and that's that. If you went out and bought a new laptop with Windows 7, knowing that Windows 8 was going to be released in a few months with a ton of awesome new features, you probably wouldn't ***** at the laptop manufacturer for not giving you a free update to Windows 8 at the earliest possible moment, would you? No, you wouldn't.

Where do I begin?  First, if you want to try and play the you paid for it with the software it had at the time card so you have no right to expect anything card...here is where your sorely mistaken...When microsoft releases a new version of windows they dont release it and call it a day.  They release regular updates freely to keep up support, fix bugs, and so on.  After they release the newest version they still, yep you guessed it, continue to release updates for not only the new version, but the previous version as well.  and they continue to do so for quite some time after the previous version has been around (XP was still receiving regular updates even after 8 years, 9 years, etc)

Every software company I have worked for as a developer has done this as well.  If a customer purchases a product, they will continue to receive updates for said product simply because there will always be bugs in software (just some bigger and more apparent than others).  The fact that HTC released the phone on 1.5 and has only issued 2 updates to fix bugs that im aware of. 1 fixed a lot of lag issues, the other fixed pitiful camera and 100% awake battery drain issue.

So going by your stance that we are not entitled to an update is far from the norm in any decent software company.  Even the software i write and sell on the side will get bug fixes when found.

Again by your definition that they are doing us a favor by giving us an update even though they are not obligated is completely destructive to any software companies reputation and would be looked upon closely by new customers.  Why you ask?  Simple, who wants to spend the money on a computer (and yes a smartphone is no different than a computer at this point) that will no longer be supported either as soon as its released or within the first 2-3 months of its release?

Smartphones are not set top dvd players, calculators, or even a clock radio that is not updateable and thus the expectation of updates that fix the frequent bugs are expected.  Especially considering we are also paying a monthly service fee.

Ive said this before, the only thing most of the people on these boards are expecting is to have the issues with the software they purchased to be fixed whether that be releasing fixes to 1.5, or a full on upgrade to 2.1.  Id be fine with it not being 2.1 if they were to actually release timely updates to fix the current issues...MMS not working, dialer lag, ring lag, etc.

Well said.

Journeyman

Well,  the rumor mill is buzzing with dates now of the 26th. Slowly  they seem to crop up as the day slowly dragged on. Most of us  approach this type of data with skeptism with just cause. So, now  instead of getting excited as I use to I try to remain optimistic  even though I have read post after post of people that have "called   support and heard from a tech"or " know a friend who knows someone  at sprint" or htc yadda yadda with dates being tossed around and dates  come and go yet no upgrade. For those of you who excercise  extreme patience. Bear in mind that companies are now touting wimax this  and 4G that. New phones with great hardware; faster processors,  more memory, etc. trying to push the phones to new customers while  the rest of the devout android users who have followed religiously are  just  left  with a feeling that unless we either wait for another  18 months to qualify for a upgrade we will remain out of the 2.1 race. Sure, its easy to  say "if you dont like it just bail". But we have also invested money  in this and have learn to work around the quirks just waiting for the word to come down from the techs. But to hear of new  technology, that has everything we have been waiting for available to "newer"  customers while the rest of us just sit idly by, like a  forgotten stepchild, makes you wonder. Maybe the race to put out the latest and greates phone out before everyone else  has caused the big companies to forget about the loyal paying customers that have led them to such great success ?

Patiently waiting that upgrade.

Message was edited by: jcf304

Message was edited by: jcf304

Journeyman

in response to what jonnythan said: What phones have you had that have received monthly automatic updates?!

Samsung Instinct (remember? the so-called iPhone killer) - got an update at least once a month (and I'm not just talking about PRL updates). I'd get a message from Sprint telling me that an OTA update is needed and that's all.  And Sprint sent me these text messages with updates.  Now, maybe it's because of all the commercials pushing for the "iPhone Killer (aka: Instinct)" and the fact that it bombed that they were so informative about these updates, but I still got an update.  And before that, I had a Sprint Treo 755P and THAT got firmware updates as well. I did get firmware updates, but I didn't have to wait over half a year for them.

Journeyman

vespa5 wrote:

in response to what jonnythan said: What phones have you had that have received monthly automatic updates?!

Samsung Instinct (remember? the so-called iPhone killer) - got an update at least once a month (and I'm not just talking about PRL updates). I'd get a message from Sprint telling me that an OTA update is needed and that's all.  And Sprint sent me these text messages with updates.  Now, maybe it's because of all the commercials pushing for the "iPhone Killer (aka: Instinct)" and the fact that it bombed that they were so informative about these updates, but I still got an update.  And before that, I had a Sprint Treo 755P and THAT got firmware updates as well. I did get firmware updates, but I didn't have to wait over half a year for them.

I had the Instinct for I think 4 or 5 months right after it came out. I got one update. Maybe two.

I then had the Touch Diamond for over a year. I got exactly one update.

Before that I had a series of featurephones and got a total of two updates over the course of I think about 7 phones.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat