cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

I need to know when Sprint will release the firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1.  I want the new Google Maps with voice navigation, and it will run only on Android firmware versions above 1.5.  I'm planning a vacation in May and the new Google application would be crucial to gps guided touring.  Sprint has no reception in the Yosemite National Parks areas (or just about anywhere in NW Cal outside major cities, or along the pacific coast.  So I may have to buy more harware if the firmware release doesn't come soon.

I love my Android phone, but would like to enjoy all the latest Google apps, especially the new voice navigation Maps and all its neat features that would aid in touring new places.

330 REPLIES 330
Highlighted
Journeyman

Should be sometime in April that the 2.1 upgrade is released.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, don't worry. Sprint will release this update without a doubt. HTC and them have worked too hard on it. I'm going to get the EVO as soon as I am able, but I love the Hero and am glad that Sprint is supporting it as much as they have. By all indications, we will be among the first Android users to get the update. All is well in Android land...

Highlighted
Patron

Soo... im gonna take a wild guess and say April 1st... i say that cause on March 31st sprint looses deal with NFL and then starting April 1st when you click into the Sprint NFL app it will make you download thier new service Sprint Football Live.. soo i think it would make sense for them to release the 2.1 as it basically will set phone back to factory standards and have Sprints new Football app...  cause it would be Dumb if they didnt do it that way as in why would they have us download the new football app to have it replaced some other time in april with NFL agian and have to re-replace it.. wouldnt make sense... Soo yeah just a ponder i had right now... cause i could see that sprint has wrote the new football app into thier 2.1 update soo why not release it same day that Sprints switch from NFL to Sprint Football Live....

ps.. if im right...

DAN HESSE... YOU OWE ME A SPRINT HTC EVO 4G!!!!!!!! LMAO

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

RH: Relax.  Sprint and HTC are committed to support the Hero and produce a 2.1 release for it.  And since it's Open Source Android based, most of the long term problems you may encounter could be resolved by the community.  Even long after Sprint and HTC drop support for the handset, the Open Source community will support and enhance the device.  That's the great thing about Android phones - they aren't throwaway.  You're not locked into waiting for the MFG to drop a firmware update.

I don't have a date for the 2.1 update but we have committed to 1H2010 - so absolutely no later than June 30, 2010.  Could even be sooner.

Thanks for joining and thanks for posting!  Enjoy your phone!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought the last official  info was  Early 2Q , which should be Aprilish.

Highlighted
Journeyman

stephen866 wrote:

I thought the last official  info was  Early 2Q , which should be Aprilish.

Sprint has officially committed to 1H10. Semi-officially, they've said that it looks like early 2Q.

Compare:

"Upgrades.. now expected early 2Q10"

vs:

"will be updating straight to Android 2.1, not 2.0, in 1H10."

These are both from the official Sprint Twitter feed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Um.. actually it's been a definate commitment to EARLY 2Q from what I've been told by almost every tech I've encountered.  And if you're saying it won't be here til June, you are going to have a lot of pissed off Moment/Hero users.

And let me clear something up - it's not that I WANT or NEED the latest and greatest Android system to be on top of everyone else, it's the fact that 1.5 does not natively support CDMA and if you've ever used the Moment, the current bastardized version of 1.5 that's installed is buggy as hell.  I mean, it's really bad.  Bad enough to think the phone didn't even make it out of beta testing.  Now, I know theres hundreds of thousands of message demanding answers for the 2.1 upgrade and I know that nobodys going to give those answers until the time is right, but, I'm just saying that this update is desperately needed... I know a lot of people that have already switched phones due to the countless bugs in the operating system.  The hardwares great, the feel is great, the customer service is fantastic.  However, we _need_ that release... Please understand that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jedi Mind Trick is in order.

"Update April will come, it will" MMMM

"These are the Droids you are looking for"

Did that help

Message was edited by: dayvedayve

Highlighted
Journeyman

infamousjax wrote:

Um.. actually it's been a definate commitment to EARLY 2Q from what I've been told by almost every tech I've encountered.  And if you're saying it won't be here til June, you are going to have a lot of ****** off Moment/Hero users.

And let me clear something up - it's not that I WANT or NEED the latest and greatest Android system to be on top of everyone else, it's the fact that 1.5 does not natively support CDMA and if you've ever used the Moment, the current bastardized version of 1.5 that's installed is buggy as ****.  I mean, it's really bad.  Bad enough to think the phone didn't even make it out of beta testing.  Now, I know theres hundreds of thousands of message demanding answers for the 2.1 upgrade and I know that nobodys going to give those answers until the time is right, but, I'm just saying that this update is desperately needed... I know a lot of people that have already switched phones due to the countless bugs in the operating system.  The hardwares great, the feel is great, the customer service is fantastic.  However, we _need_ that release... Please understand that.

The techs don't have any information we don't have. Sprint has not made a definite commitment to early 2Q. They said it's "expected" early 2Q and it "will be" 1H. Those are the only statements Sprint has made on the issue.

At this point, I think there will be riots if it doesn't show up in "early 2Q" / April. But they have definitely not committed to that time period.

Highlighted
Journeyman

straight from sprint cs this morning:  Thank you for contacting Sprint about the Android 2.1 update.   I understand that you want to know about the availability of Android 2.1 with HTC Hero.  We are actively working on having the Android 2.1  platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the coming  weeks.  Please look for more information coming in April about Android  2.1 platform for Hero and Moment.    You will find product details on Sprint.com and in promotional  information at our retail stores. We encourage you to watch news reports or monitor our web site to see if a change in availability occurs.   Thank you for writing to us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I contacted Sprint yesterday and they pretty much can't tell you anything but "We Don't Know!".   So I then contacted HTC Technical Support and the tech I spoke to there told me it was supposed to be released on April 9th.  Guess we can hope that is the true date of the release.  If that is indeed true, then we are only 2 weeks away from the release.  When it is released if you go to http://www.sprint.com/downloads and click on Smartphones you can then select the phone and see if it's there.  More than likely you can do the update yourself but you have to have the latest version of HTC Sync loaded on your computer so you can do the update.  BTW.. It will flash your phone so make sure you have your important information backed up that you want to keep.  As for apps downloaded; you can always download them again.  I'd just suggest noting what apps you have loaded.

So here we go again boys and girls!!  Just hold on a little longer..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, to reload your apps after a wipe, just go to market right after you turn it on the first time. Go to downloads. All your apps will be there, but do not leave that page until all the free ones you still want are downloaded and installed. Basically don't do anything but download and install until all your free apps are back. Then do a restart. That way everything will reset and the phone will run properly. Now you can get purchased apps, since they are always saved in downloads. The other thing to remember is to connect to wi-fi before going to the market if you can. It will make the process faster. I know it can take a while and be a bit mundane, but its worth it. Just don't get any phone calls during the original download.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat