ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Journeyman

Re: Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

For your information justauser, 2Q10 is a 3 month period which includes April thru June.  Early 2Q10 doesn't mean April 1st thru the 9th it means at the very least the full month of April.  Some feel early 2Q is April 1st thru May 15th.  IMO if you don't have 2.1 by May 1st at the earliest and feel that Sprint or HTC are not living up to the expectation set forth then you can get as upset as you want.  Just remember that tweet says early 2Q, not early April.

Journeyman

thecodemonk wrote:

Where is all this rage coming from?

I have a hero and 1.5 seems to work just fine. Is there some major issue that is causing the phone not to work just because it's not on Android 2.1?

It has it's issues, but mainly people are mad at Sprint for being unforgivably slow with an update, even though they've yet to be outdone by pretty much anyone.

Most of these people have convinced themseves and others that we've been waiting 10 months because Sprint loves dragging their feet and making customers mad for fun and profit and/or can't the NASCAR app working.

The problem is Android, and the set up. We don't wait for Charter and Dell to team up on a new build of windows any time Bill Gates changes anything, we get that straight from microsoft, charter is a dummy proivder, and Dell provides some low level drivers that tell windows how to use the hardware.

A simmilar set up is pretty much the only thing that can stop Android from being a fragmented relic in a very short while. If the android team releases a bug fix, or a perfomance fix, we should be able to get it from them.

Message was edited by: vita10gy

Journeyman

The correct setup should be this.  Google creates Android OS that is "Open Source" it is available to the devise manufacturers developerers, and mobile providers.  The devices are made to run the OS and all the drivers are installed on the devise.  The manufacturer gets with the provider to have what is necessary to operate on carrier's network.  All other "fluff" (such as Sprint Tv/ Sprint Nav, Nascar, etc) is not hard coded to devise.  Its an App it should be like the rest.  Installed after OS is already there and at the whim of the consumer.  Updates go through when Google gets them.  Hadware bugs are fixed by the manufacturer and the Apps are fixed just like in the Market.

This is the way it works in Windows OS.  Microsoft makes/updates/fixes the OS.  The "HP & Dells"  worry about the hardware.  And the software is the software industries problem. They all work together but are not at the totally tied together.

Well everyone, I don't know if you want to hold ur breath or put money on it, but this is the lates news I've found coming from HTC. http://en.andigg.com/android-2.1-dated-for-htc-hero/ They stated they just released a date of April 16th for our update. Again, I'm not going to hold my breath and I don't think anyone else should either. Until my phone says version 2.1, I wont believe anything I hear.

Master

untrustingsoul2009 wrote:

Well everyone, I don't know if you want to hold ur breath or put money on it, but this is the lates news I've found coming from HTC. http://en.andigg.com/android-2.1-dated-for-htc-hero/ They stated they just released a date of April 16th for our update. Again, I'm not going to hold my breath and I don't think anyone else should either. Until my phone says version 2.1, I wont believe anything I hear.

That is referring to the GSM version of the Hero. It says so in the article link.

Journeyman

I've been following this supposed update since early Oct '09 (going on 6 months now) shortly after I purchased the Hero from Sprint. I can say that Sprint isn't dragging their feet as they would have had to have an intention to actually provide the update to begin with to be dragging their feet. This update issue/rumor all started when another carrier at that that time was about to announce/announced a new phone(s) with 2.0/1 so why would you buy older tech with Sprint unless it was rumored that it would be updated. So the game is this if we think we are going to get an update we won’t be as upset as if there wasn’t any update planned. So, keep us thinking an update is coming and if they can keep us happy or should I say not as upset for another 6 months or so we will all be buying new tech anyway HTC EVO, Nexus 1, etc… or should I say anyone that even cares about an update to begin with will be buying new tech.

Journeyman

So just curioius. What does a 2.1 upgrade do? What does it fix. What features does it bring?

I think the Hero is the best smart phone around right now and curious as to why 2.1 is a big deal.

Is a site/post some where the describes 2.1 v 1.5?

/PP

Journeyman

Google it.

Journeyman

Really. What a novel idea.

I did thsi already it all looks fairly cosmetic. Not worth all the hand wringing on this thread if thats all we're waiting for. "live wall papers" Can't wait..

Journeyman

Pasadenapirate wrote:

Really. What a novel idea.

I did thsi already it all looks fairly cosmetic. Not worth all the hand wringing on this thread if thats all we're waiting for. "live wall papers" Can't wait..

You have to look at the 1.5 -> 1.6 as well.  the jump to 2.1 appears to be a solo upgrade,  but in fact adds the functions of 1.6 that are not further upgraded to 2.1

One such '1.6' upgrade that affects this phone is the 'Native CDMA Support' -- in other words,  space is freed up because HTC/Sprint didn't have to shove in their own code to handle the data radio.

Another is fixing the YouTube app.  Not a minor fix either;  when you can watch maybe 1 in 10 videos,  that ain't minor!

Really,  this is more than a 'cosmetic' update.

Journeyman

What others have said, and not to mention the basic fact that many people have had *basic functionality* issues that are unresolved. Aside from one small maintenance release to address the most egregious immediate bug (the phone never sleeping and batteries draining), there has been exactly nothing released to fix the other bugs that many have encountered. It would be inexcusable not to put out regular MR to fix functionality issues, but the promise was made that INSTEAD of trying to fix all the problems, and INSTEAD of updating us to 1.6 (which also would likely have fixed some of the problems), Sprint would jump us straight to 2.1, thus ensuring we would have the "latest" Android software. And it is presumed all around that that update will fix the outstanding functionality issues that are as yet unaddressed. So though there are a few people around who feel the need to tell others the problems they're having either don't exist or aren't important because they themselves aren't having them or don't care about them, most of us bought into the idea that in lieu of a series of MRs and perhaps a jump to 1.6 (which also has some market options we do not have), we would wait for the big enchilada.Or maybe the big pastry is more appropriate.

One reason for the crankiness is that most of us who have had the Hero from the beginning bought in to the waiting game very soon thereafter and thus have been waiting now for 3-4 months since the last (and only) MR. And though many like to suggest that it's whining because Sprint is still in their 1H2010 window, and their 2Q2010 window, we may also fairly point out that if Sprint had *meant* 2Q2010 then they shouldn't have said 1H2010, which of course suggested the possibility of 1Q2010. So it is not unreasonable at all for us to have believed there was some possibility of an update in 1Q2010. Now that that first quarter has come and gone with little more than an "early 2Q, probably" comment from Sprint, yes, people are starting to get antsy. The leaked memo suggesting a MR for 4/9 to address one of the biggest functionality issues (MMS) just caused incredible confusion after we were also told here that there would be NO MR prior to the 2.1 update. I myself was told by 3 different tech support people that a MR was coming on 4/9.  So again, it's reasonable to believe that the MR being discussed in the memo was in fact the 2.1 update. Should it turn out not to be the case, as we have been told here unambiguously, then expect the crankiness to get kicked up a notch. Combine people's past bad experiences with Sprint not following through on promised updates with the lackluster customer service so many have experienced and the wildly divergent information coming from the various levels of Sprint customer service and tech support, and, well, frankly I think it's kind of ridiculous to suggest that Sprint's customers *shouldn't* be wondering just what the heck is going on over there. And whether you like it or not, customers vote with their feet and Sprint continues to bleed customers. Don't blame us for thinking that perhaps if they intend to stay in business they just might possibly want to look into the reasons that so many of their customers are so unhappy that they leave completely. After all, we're still the customers who *haven't* all bolted (yet) - we just want Sprint to show us a little love and appreciation for staying - is that so wrong?

Journeyman

+1

*golf clap*

This.  This!!!!!!  Thank you for taking the thought out of my brain and diligently forming it together in the way you have.

Sprint - take heed.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat