cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Journeyman

Re: Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

I do know that many people bought their phone with the idea that it would simply work. Sprint was one of the last carriers to adobt Android because they thought it was not ready for primetime. So the assumption was that when they did come out with Android devices, it was ready to go. Now we have numerous people that have partially functioning equipment, mostly due to the shortcomings of 1.5 and they want to know what and when Sprint is going to do something about it rather than cycling through replacement phones. All Sprint has to do is provide a generalized update every so often rather than sticking to the same broadcast they produced nearly two months ago. Instead, they talk more about the EVO and 4G and what happened at latest mobile conference. It makes those still waiting for solutions feel unimportant and when the time comes, many will leave just like the people before them that waited on Sprint to follow through with their commitment to customers. Dont think there's any truth to that? Just look at the number of defections from Sprint every quarter. They are obviously not doing something right dispite the ever increasing amount of complaints from their current customer base. The answers staring them in the face and they cant see the forrest for the trees.

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Journeyman

howulikethemapples wrote:

Getting on my soap box again...

I just don't get the people who are in this forum who are defending Sprint.  Those who are defending Sprint just don't get our frustration and are fueling Sprint in dragging their feet.

Yes Sprint said 1H 2010, and have updated that once to Early 2Q, and I understand how the upgrade process works.  I have discovered that most of my frustration as one post describes it as a lack of communication.  Keep us informed.  I would feel much better about the process even if they said that we are behind due to x situation and said that the release date would be August 1 (disappointed but at least I would have a hard and fast date.)

Getting off of my soap box and letting somebody else have the soap box for somebody who does not want to defend Sprint.

The people "defending Sprint" aren't defending Sprint - they're defending reality and honesty. They're defending people misrepresenting reality and telling lies.

I don't know why you'd rather "We're running behind, it will be August 1" over "Early 2Q10." How is the former statement in any way better than the latter?

I'll keep the latter, thanks. You can get your update in August.

Wizard

I just don't get the people who are in this forum who are defending Sprint.  Those who are defending Sprint just don't get our frustration and are fueling Sprint in dragging their feet.

Yes Sprint said 1H 2010, and have updated that once to Early 2Q, and I understand how the upgrade process works.  I have discovered that most of my frustration as one post describes it as a lack of communication.  Keep us informed.  I would feel much better about the process even if they said that we are behind due to x situation and said that the release date would be August 1 (disappointed but at least I would have a hard and fast date.)

Getting off of my soap box and letting somebody else have the soap box for somebody who does not want to defend Sprint.

Instead of being "those who attack Sprint" and "those who defend Sprint", and of course if someone is in the opposite camp they are the enemy, why don't we just have a discussion about the situation?  I do not believe that Sprint is intentionally dragging their feet, nor do I believe that in disagreeing with you I am in any way influencing when Sprint releases updates.  In your second paragraph, you admit that Sprint has not yet missed any announced target dates.  If they are still on schedule for their announced target date, how are they dragging their feet?  I do not know the reasons behind Sprint's decision to not communicate periodic updates about what is and is not working; but if I were doing the programming and testing, I would not disclose those details to this crowd, as then I would have to deal with some users arguing that it should be released right now because they don't use the feature(s) that are not ready yet, while others would be in the opposite camp, arguing that that feature is the most important one to them and it must be working upon release.  Just look at all the posters who complain about the "bloatware" and "crapware", then look at the other posters complaining because the NFL app was replaced with a different app.

Journeyman

I prefer concrete answers.  Sprint has been anything but concrete.  Sprint as earlier stated is a communications company.  Surely they have at least one employee who could tweet, facebook or make a general announcement to its current Android users as to the progress of the development.  While I want my update yesterday, I would prefer a concrete answer.  Sprint could put a stop to, or address rumors by giving concrete answers.  While I would be greatly disappointed by a later than expected release date such as August 1, at least it would be concrete.

Android 2.0 was available in 2009, and android 2.1 has been available since January 2010.  This is how Sprint is dragging their feet.

Boy I feel like I have said concrete a lot in this posting.

Journeyman

I prefer concrete answers.  Sprint has been anything but concrete.  Sprint as earlier stated is a communications company.  Surely they have at least one employee who could tweet, facebook or make a general announcement to its current Android users as to the progress of the development.  While I want my update yesterday, I would prefer a concrete answer.  Sprint could put a stop to, or address rumors by giving concrete answers.  While I would be greatly disappointed by a later than expected release date such as August 1, at least it would be concrete.

Boy I feel like I have said concrete a lot in this posting.

How do you propose they give a concrete date when they don't know precisely when it wil be ready?

Is it somehow better to give a random concrete date without knowing whether you'll be able to make it or not? If their actual target is 1H10 and they think they can get it done by 2Q10, then that's what they should tell us. "It will be out May 3" does us no good if they can't finish it by May 3 and they have to push it back.

I think "2Q10" is concrete enough.

Journeyman

I'm not defending Sprint, I'm just defending rationality and reality. Your ending there is a perfect example. What could POSSIBLY be in it for Sprint to "drag their feet?" They're doing the update. They'll invest the same money and resources either way. All drawing it out for the sake of drawing it out will do is make customers mad. Why would they do that? This is just classic conspiracy type crap where people make statements without thinking out the statement to its logical end. The question to update comes down to customer happiness vs cost. However, once they're already updating there is absolutely no reason to do it slowly. There are no pro's to that.

Furthermore there is absolutely, positively, NO reason to assert to know, or even come to the reasonable conclusion that, Sprint even is taking an especially long time to begin with. The competition hasn't updated any of the 1.5 phones either.

I too would like to know if they hit a problem that's causing any sort of delay. However, there's no reason to assert that a) that won't happen if there is one or b) that a delay we haven't been told about has happened.

Sprint admins, please placate the masses by giving us daily/hourly/minutely "Everything is still ok" alerts, because apparently people can't deal with assuming all is well unless we hear of a problem.

Journeyman

2Q2010 is good until you start to encroach on that time frame, then more specific dates are required for a true sense of keeping everyone informed. They don’t need to be exact, but when you consider a quarter is 3 months and you burn through one already, you have to either state this month, or next, or that it was pushed back again because of technical issues. Did you make fraudulent guess? No. You just simply provided a more specific timeframe. Nothing wrong with that. Have we gotten to that point yet? No. But we're getting close and the closer we get, the more fidgety everyone gets.

It speaks volumes that instead of getting any valid information from a Sprint official, we get most of our information, valid or not, from supposed leaked info, pictures, and screen captures by insiders at Sprint that send them anomously to mobile phone news websites. If it were not for KansasCityJoe and the like, we would not know anything was happening until it landed on our phones.

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Journeyman

Look. I know that my whole soapbox thing irritated some people.  I am just saying that wouldn't most of us feel better if they said that they were going to release 2.1 on May 3rd and then release it earlier if it was ready.  People can deal with a date that is concrete.  I work in a business environment and we are given deadlines.  We must follow these deadlines or there are consequences.  There is no reason that between Sprint and HTC that they can not give a concrete deadline and have it done by that time (or earlier).  1H 2010 or Early 2Q are just a timeframe and could be broken.  Sprint does not want to give a date because it does not commit them to a date so thus they can not fail in the eyes of their customers.

Wizard

Look. I know that my whole soapbox thing irritated some people.  I am just saying that wouldn't most of us feel better if they said that they were going to release 2.1 on May 3rd and then release it earlier if it was ready.  People can deal with a date that is concrete.  I work in a business environment and we are given deadlines.  We must follow these deadlines or there are consequences.  There is no reason that between Sprint and HTC that they can not give a concrete deadline and have it done by that time (or earlier).  1H 2010 or Early 2Q are just a timeframe and could be broken.  Sprint does not want to give a date because it does not commit them to a date so thus they can not fail in the eyes of their customers.

Sprint has already said that they will release the update on June 30 (1H2010), or earlier if it is ready.  You have had your concrete deadline for a long time.  Feel any better?

Journeyman

I have to disagree.  Yes Sprint said 1H2010, no where have they physically said June 30.  Yes the last day of 1H2010 is June 30th, semantics I know.

What I am arguing is that Sprint is a communications company has such poor communications with its customers.  I reiterate that 1H2010 is very vague. Hate to go back to the concrete thing again but lets have a hard and fast date even if it is June 30th, and if its June 30th they had better stick to it.

Journeyman

and if its June 30th they had better stick to it.

That's the essence of the problem. You want them to give a concrete date, and you are also reserving the right to blast them if they miss it.

Then you wonder why they don't give a concrete date.

Look, you have a target date range. Deal with it.

Journeyman

I have to disagree.  Yes Sprint said 1H2010, no where have they physically said June 30.  Yes the last day of 1H2010 is June 30th, semantics I know.

What I am arguing is that Sprint is a communications company has such poor communications with its customers.  I reiterate that 1H2010 is very vague. Hate to go back to the concrete thing again but lets have a hard and fast date even if it is June 30th, and if its June 30th they had better stick to it.

Or what? Ok, so they give 6/30 as a concrete date: Scenario 1) They finish 4/19. Should they wait until 6/30 to release it? No. Scenario 2) It's 6/29 and they aren't close to ready. Do they get a magic wand to fix everything that isn't working yet? No.

A "concrete" date is completely meaningless, in any and every sense. It's not just semantics. In practical terms it would be the EXACT SAME THING.

H1 2010 = (x <= 6/30/2010)

6/30, unless we finish early = (x = 6/30/2010 || x <  6/30/2010)

I don't understand how people have the attitude "I wish they would just say 6/30, cause at least then I'd know." Know WHAT? It wouldn't change anything. It could still come at any time, and 7/1 is still "late," at which point whatever "or else" you've concocted as your consequence for missing the mostly arbitrarily chosen deadline still applies.

Sheesh.

Message was edited by: vita10gy

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat