cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Journeyman

Re: Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

The Hero may be slow, however some people dont realize that it is slow because Android powered phones have the ability to multi-task. If you use the app: advanced task killer or any other task killing app, im sure you will see gains in performance of your device. With that being said, 2.1 really dosent have that much more to offer over 1.5, however the more robust app store looks to be the ultimate goal with this update.

Now that the moment has gotten an update, it really upsets me that sprint hasnt gave the Hero its fair due. You already know that the update is out, think about it; the EVO will have 2.1 or 2.2 android. Therefore the software has already been made by both counterparts to this puzzle. I really feel cheated tho, that my Hero isnt getting its propper attention, and it makes me debate even wanting the EVO. Sprint owes us Hero owner.

Journeyman

wbpo5l wrote:

A few anoying problems that I think may be fixed in 2.1 are things like face hang ups and face call records.  I also thought I was getting away from having to manually unload applications from memory when I went from my old trusty Treo 700wx to the Hero.  But I had to put the little Kill App icon on my screen to hit every now and then so things would run.

As I just purchased the Hero I am thinking about returning it and waiting for the new HTC getting ready to come out.

I think I would do that. I advised a freind not to get it in september, and I certainly would do the same now. If you live in a 4g area maybe you can justify the extra $10 a month for the EVO, but there's got to be some other things on the near horizon.

The Hero was close to outdated for those of us that got it on release day in October. Even if it had 2.1 out of the box, I wouldn't advise buying one now.

I feel like some giant strides are on the horizon. The Hero will probably feel like a Commadore 64 compared to some of the phones released before you qualify for the upgrade credit.

Journeyman

1. I just got off the phone with sprint and there new  messsage is that it is pushed back to the 3Qt o and i did have  a comfirmed e-mail regarding this and sprint removed my post.Any way i told u all that they wouldnt release this update until after the evo i know its released to the moment but according to the rep and email heros will not get it till 3Q sry.           2.Well i am sry for saying previous statments 2.1 is out was released on may19th                  

Message was edited by: cookies2178

Journeyman

Honestly, I got off the phone with Sprint yesterday and I'm within my 30 day return policy.  I'm returning my Hero for the EVO which will be out June 4th.

For those of you thinking the reason Sprint and HTC is delaying the 2.1 for the Hero is because they don't want it to interfer with EVO sales...don't worry.  The Hero is no where close to an EVO.  Night and Day.  In fact, I cannot imagine if you were like me and ready for an update why you would get a Hero right now and not just wait for the EVO.  I don't know what I was thinking.

Journeyman

I just had to say ive used all sorts of task managers and killers and honestly found that when i stopped using one i had less problems...i had all the settings so i wasnt killing anything important and my phone was still more laggy than once i finally uninstalled em for good....but now i flashed the leaked rom on my phone this morning and its a huge difference for me in performance way less lag especially in the keyboard...that was always my biggest issue....texting was a nightmare it would lock up and the keyboard would think i wanted a longpress when i only tapped the letter or just general accuracy of typing....but now it seems responsive and easy almost like a whole new keyboard...plus everything just kinda looks and feels nicer im really happy now...only problem is some apps arent in the market and i didnt back my apps up so i cant get them....but i read that they might get released when the rom is officially released but for now its hidden or something.....idk either way its much better

Message was edited by: ledzeppelin824

Journeyman

http://www.4shared.com/file/gfPzbRcS/RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_2276515_R_si.html

This link is a Sprint signed version of Android 2.1 ROM for the Hero.  I have downloaded and installed it on my Hero and it works great.  This is a Windows EXE file so you run it on the pc while your phone is connected via usb.  Use Astro to back up all of your apps before the update as it will blow them all away.  Good luck with the update.

Journeyman

I have found that using the cache cleaner in Astro gave a much more impressive boost to performance than killing task. I'm only using the task-killer on things like games and other apps that serve no importance when not the active app. There is a way to kill task without installing a task killer it's just tedious so, the concept of forcibly terminating an app may be okay but, it gives less informed users a way to give themselves a headache.

Message was edited by: sdialect31

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat