Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Journeyman

Re: Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Official Sprint Hero 2.1 Rom leaked

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653222

Journeyman

This is what I've been waiting for! Thanks for posting it.

Journeyman

Official Sprint Hero 2.1 Rom leaked

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653222

WARNING: There are problems with this "Official" ROM. It has bricked phones and has caused issues with the install. Do not apply this ROM unless you are experienced and have the ability to deal with the problems that inevitably arise.

Journeyman

Yeah thanks for warning everyone. I just got through taking my device back to stock. It has major sync issues and causes a bug where it will no longer do PRL, Profile, Firmware updates, or Device self service. I keep getting error1012 when I try them, even after completely bringing my phone to factory settings. I'm going to have to call Sprint or take it to a service center. Probably the latter, as I don't like dealing with any customer service over the phone. I usually end up knowing more about the problem than they do, so it takes forever to solve. Anyways, it looks like its been modded a bit, and the poster is still having trouble with it. I would wait for a more official leak or get Fresh Rom 2.0c.

Wizard

Thank you for the warning.

This rom gave me the opportunity to check for the weather_sync

I found that the interval is set to 10800000

If it's in milliseconds, 10800000 ms = 3 hours.

There are 9 files with the same piece of xml code

<!-- Weather Sync Provider -->
    <category name="application">
        <module name="weather_sync_provider">
            <function name="settings">
                <set name="single">
                    <item name="temprature_unit">f</item>
                    <item name="update_interval">10800000</item>
                </set>
            </function>
        </module>
    </category>

temperature is misspelled temprature

Next weekend I will have more time to deal with it

Ideas? Comments?

Journeyman

This rom gave me the opportunity to check for the weather_sync

I found that the interval is set to 10800000

If it's in milliseconds, 10800000 ms = 3 hours

mxmarcus - Your observation deserves a separate post! This is the most idiotic, most impractical piece of shitake software programming HTC and Sprint could have thought up. I posted back in September that the OEM weather program was worthless because the user had to manually update the stupid thing for the correct info to be displayed.

Your post confirms the insanity of having a weather program update every three hours. In Southern California the temperature changes every ten minutes! It makes you think that somebody programmed the software lived in the tropics where the temperature stays the same for hours...oh, wait, maybe they do!

Message was edited by: unplugged

Message was edited by: unplugged

Journeyman

The leaked ROM is pretty amazing.  There are some slight annoyances but it tells us that 2.1 is definitely on the way soon and it's everything that I dreamed it would be. 

Journeyman

If you are not liking that HTC weather app, why not try market app like the Weathernetwork one or Weatherbug...Weatherbug updates for me automatically anytime I go to the home screen with the widget on it...also it can't be that big of a problem to click the "update" button on the weather widget.

Journeyman

"If you are not liking that HTC weather app, why not try market app like the Weathernetwork one or Weatherbug...Weatherbug updates for me automatically anytime I go to the home screen with the widget on it...also it can't be that big of a problem to click the "update" button on the weather widget."

The above quote is stating the obvious.

My point is that the OEM app is displayed on the home screen like it is a real program. It is useless if you have to 1) Touch the weather app, 2) After waiting for the new screen to appear, touch the refresh button, 3) Touch the refresh button again, because it often doesn't refresh to the current temperature, 4) Touch the "back" button to get to the home screen.

Do you really find this not annoying? Obviously, if you have to take FOUR steps to "click the 'update' button" it IS that big of a problem. Are you actually defending HTC and Sprint for placing a program on the home page that looks pretty, but is USELESS?!

And why should I go out and get a "free" app on the market and put up with advertising simply because HTC and Sprint can't program the software to update more often than THREE hours? You are taking your defense of Sprint to new levels.

Wizard

I know about other weather apps and I am runing the weather channel app

My point is if I can tweak the stock htc weater app, I don't have to install another one.

It is all about the space used on the device. If I can improve the installed apps, I would not have to install other ones performing the same functions

Journeyman

Ahh fair enough.

I am not defending shabby software..I hate that widget hence why I got one that actually works...It's Android we are dealing with, users have the option to customize their phone past stock software..if something by  HTC or Sprint is not working properly, why wait for them to fix it..sure we can sit here and complain about it..but come on, take it in your own hands and get something better.

When the first gen Android phones such as g1 came out (I got the Rogers Dream version)...the stock mail app was terrible..I could not setup my school e-mail..I believe at that time, the native mail app had issues with some domains but I believe that issue is fixed now...I got fed up, and sure I got mad...but come on, there are so many applications out there, that are superior to any stock software..I got K-9 Mail and have been using it ever since..and I have had 2 more Android phones since that Dream..

So, in the end..should the stock apps work properly? 100% they should...but if they don't, get something better that will work properly.

P.S. 3 hours though ?! That is kind of ridiculous, and that app needs to update properly...fail HTC stock app..they need to fix that for 2.1 for sure. Weatherbug is kind of an ugly widget haha

Journeyman

I see your point MxMarcus..and tweeking something like that is an obvious advantage of rooting..Disk space is a big issue with many Android devices, but most root users do use the apps to SD...changing the update to something faster is something that should have been done right away with Sense, giving you the option like how Weatherbug does for update, I got weatherbug setup for every hour but you can change it to anything from 30 mins to 24 hours I believe.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat