ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Journeyman

Re: Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Only thing I would say about the weather App that comes with the new version of the Android software is that if it sucks I wish we had the option to uninstall it.  We all know we could use the space!!!  Unless they fixed the software so you can load it to your SD card then space is a valuable commodity to utilize.  From what I have been reading about the update I really am looking forward to it being loaded on my phone.  The biggest key I am looking for is the performance increase and the ability to run newer apps..  That way I don't feel cheated as much on the purchase that I made.  After all the hype that this was the best Android phone on the market (at the time), I would like to enjoy the phone to it's full potential.

Journeyman

I guess the thing that makes me so irrational about the HTC weather program is that they intentionally disabled it by having it update every three hours. Why would they do that and make every customer have to install some other widget? Strange thought process for HTC to develop the software and then have everyone not able to use it. Weird.

Message was edited by: unplugged

Journeyman

justauser wrote:

Only thing I would say about the weather App that comes with the new version of the Android software is that if it sucks I wish we had the option to uninstall it.

Which would do you zero good as the /system filesystem has nothing to do with the /data filesystem where your user applications live.  The idea that removing system applications somehow increases space for user applications is one that just will not die.

Journeyman

They are still on the same partition. When I remove apps from the system I get some space back. It might not be more than 10 MB but I still get memory back. Also, developer roms remove unnecissary files and clean up system files, and those give back memory to the user as well. I think you should do more research before you say that it is a lie. I've used these methods, and I know how much memory I get back. And it isn't 0.

Journeyman

They are still on the same partition.

Except they aren't, of course:

/dev/block/mtdblock3 /system yaffs2 ro 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0

But don't let that stop you.

When I remove apps from the system I get some space back. It might not be more than 10 MB but I still get memory back.

Not enough to make a significant difference.  You get back space occupied by data files that application might have created, you get back its cached dalvik pseudo-code.  Neither is likely large enough to matter significantly.

Also, developer roms remove unnecissary files and clean up system files, and those give back memory to the user as well. I think you should do more research before you say that it is a lie. I've used these methods, and I know how much memory I get back. And it isn't 0.

We weren't talking about replacement ROMs, not that it's any more relevant for a replacement ROM than Sprint's.  They're still separate partitions.  Didn't call anything a lie, either... a lie is a deliberate attempt to deceive.  Android is quite up-front about how its memory/storage management works.

Anyway, I knew better than to try, but did anyway.  My bad.

Journeyman

ok yeah, nevermind. You're actually right about the partitions. Still I have gotten back between 10 and 20 MB just by removing OEM apps I never used. Whether most of that comes from caches and data is not really that important. Its still 20 MB which can hold up to 20 more apps. I'd say that is significant. With these "First Gen" android phones, every bit of memory matter. (ok maybe not literally every bit, but every KB at least.) Thanks for staightening me out. I don't know what I was thinking with those partitions. 🙂

Journeyman

I think my post got lost in the translation somehow.  What I was trying to state is that some of the apps they put on the phone aren't worth the space the occupy.  Therefore I wish we could have the option to remove those apps without having to replace the ROM or root the phone to do it.  That's all I was trying to convey.  Like others have said before, until they fix it so that your apps are saved to the SD card you have to be conscience of your phones memory so that you don't run out of space.  That's all I was trying to say..  Sorry for the confusion I might have caused.. LOL

Journeyman

Justauser,

Apparently the mass response on this forum is if you don't like it go somewhere else.  Evertime it is brought up that users would like the option to remove the garbage apps they don't want, a bunch of people jump in with "Sprint can do what they want with their phones, get over it."  I franly am tired of hearing it.

There is supposed to be openness to these phones, and yet Sprint reduces the effectiveness of them by putting apps on them many don't want, or that could be better replaced by other apps they would prefer.  Forcing us to keep Peep, NFL, NASCAR, Sprint TV, Sprint NAV, etc. is in no way open.

A bunch on here state that people would not be happy having to customize their phones, but then why go with an android device.  That is what you are supposed to be able to do with phones like the G1, N1, Hero, Moment, etc.

i am with you Justuser, unfortunately many of the people on these forums are not.  They bought the phones to seem cool, not to do with them what was intended.  Sprint should not be able to force us to keep the garbage on our phones.  As long as it is there I will not open any of the apps I dislike, and will generally spurn anything that demonstrates to the NFL or NASCAR or any other group Sprint is dealing with that I am related to Sprint.  Maybe when the contracts are renegotiated these business entities will not resign with Sprint, then we can have devices that work as they are supposed to, not as Sprint tells us they are supposed to.

Journeyman

Hmm, the "mass response"? I think most people think that Sprint should NOT just be able to install what they want on the Android phones and prohibit uninstalling. It is unfair of you to paint everyone with such a broad brush. In fact, I would say that most people don't like the Sprint take-it-and-leave-it-alone approach.

Unfortunately, all we can do is complain. The alternatives are not any better....

Don't give up just yet on the upgrade. It's there and its coming. They won't give us an exact date because they don't know when they will release it. However, what u have heard about Google navigation storing ur route is not quite accurate. I had a mytouch 3g before I switched to Sprint. I ran version 1.6 and navigation planned the route but as soon as I lost data service it turned into a blank map with a green line where the road is. It does however save ur route in word form similar to mapquest. But back to the update, Germany has received it already, Taiwan will get it on April 26th, so I am crossing my fingers that it comes on April 9th with the "maintenance update". Time will only tell.

Patron

It is sad Droid was released after Hero and has been updated to 2.1 before Hero

Journeyman

Not really. It was the only device with 2.0. Technically, it should have gotten the update right around the time the Nexus One came out. It actually is sad that it took so long to update a vanilla device by .1. The Hero is a couple more versions behind, but HTC was rebuilding their own software to work on a newer release and has been working hard to support 2.1. It is already done, Sprint just needs to finish testing it. Believe me, there are some bugs in one of the early releases, so be grateful that Sprint and HTC are putting so much time into this. It is no easy task to upgrade software and get everything working. Anyone who knows anything about electronics won't complain, because they know how hard it is and how much testing is required to be sure everything works. It will be a lot more bug-free by waiting an extra month, and personally, I would rather them catch most of the bugs now, then release an unstable rom and have to wait 2 months to fix the bugs. People really need to learn some patience. I've been using 2.1 for a few weeks now, so its not like you have to wait for Sprint. But if you want really good software, then wait patiently. The Droid is going to take a couple of weeks to cover everyone. I'm sure Sprint's will cover most people within a couple of days.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat