ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Journeyman

Re: Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

You would be amazed at the number of people who have done that too and all of them got the same answer. I think it's safe to say that Sprint is not going to narrow down the release date any further before it's finally pushed out. It's too bad. But we are at their mercy and will just have to wait for them to throw us a bone if they even want to or cut and run to another carrier that already has 2.1 phones.

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Journeyman

Your 100% on that Hunter! I forgot to mention also that i will never go to verizon again (been there done that).... i was just saying that to see if i could pressure them into an answer. Guess they've been through that. Oh well, i dont think i'll touch the firmware update until the 10th and maybe we'll get lucky.

Journeyman

I noticed in that transcript that she said something about waiting for word from Google. Shouldn't the update be out of Google's hands by now and in Sprint'/HTC's?  I've said on other forums that this whole 2.1 update fiasco is being handled by Google somehow and for Google's purpose (whateve that may be). To date, the only phone in North America to get the 2.1 update is the Droid. Sprint is not the only carrier with phones waiting to be updated. I'm thinking Google has the carriers by the balls (maybe some back office money deal) and is calling the shots when updates get released.

That's my conspiracy theory.......LOL.

Journeyman

The only people that know what's going on are the HTC, Samsung, and Sprint testers. Between Sprint and Samsung, the answers are nearly identical. I'm sure HTC would provide the same reply. If any progress has been made, it's been in their ability to coordinate on their answer to customers.

Both Samsung and Sprint say they dont want to speculate and get it wrong and risk angering customers and the like.  Only problem is I dont think they are in any danager of angering wating customers anymore by speculating on a release date. They are now on the other side of that spectrum and the lack of any news in over a month and a half (close to 7 weeks since the last tweet from Sprint) is what is now angering people.

Journeyman

Hunter hit the nail on the head.  Sprint has to weigh which is worse.  Angering customers with the waiting or sending an update that doesn't work.  I personally say that they have had enough time to make this happen.

Journeyman

Come on, guys.  They have set at least a rough release expectation.  The worst thing you can do at this point is set a more defined release date and miss it or force the release on that date and spend the next 3 months cleaning up the mess and releasing 'patches'.  Let's let them meet their "early Q2 timeline" and support them doing a solid release.  That gives them no more than 44 more days to make the release.  The devices work well for now, this is additional bonus functionality we didn't pay for on day 1.

Journeyman

It all boils down to two tweets made February 16th indicating they were close to being done with the updates. That was 44 days ago. Why post ANY update if your definition of soon and everyone else’s is that far apart? Now we need to remain patient and wait another 44 days? I think all the Sprint customers waiting on the 2.1 to correct issues with their phones deserve to be nominated for sainthood for their patience. I mean how long can they keep saying early 2Q2010? I suppose until May 15th right? Then what? Wait another 45 days because they still are working on it and are still on track for 1H2010? How many times will you risk putting it off before you put your customers off? Personally I think we're already at that point.

Journeyman

So early 2Q consists of 4/1 to 5/15?  That would mean late 2Q would be 5/15 to 6/30.  Where exactly is the inbetween?  Seems to me early 2Q would mean 4/1 to 4/30 giving sprint 29 more days after today.

Journeyman

that's why they weren't specific about it, early Q2 COULD mean any day before the halfway point in Q2, just like late Q2 could mean sometime in the second half... If they were confident they could get in out in the first 3 days, they probably would have said something like "mid to late April"...  Not meaning it won't come out in April, just that at the time of the tweet they couldn't narrow it down any farther than a 45 day window...

Journeyman

"mid to late April"... but not early April obviously.  So a month has an early, middle and late but in a 3 month period, the 2Q of 2010, there's only early and late, no middle?

Journeyman

noooooo, there MIGHT be a early-mid-late Q2, but since they didn't ever specify, early COULD mean first third, or first half, we don't have enough data to determine...  that being said I stand by my point that if they thought it would be out in the first third of a 3 month period, they wouldn't have said "Early Q2", they would have said the month... 

Journeyman

You're right, we don't have enough data to determine.  We can't say they meant first third or first half anymore then we can say they would have said a specific month.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat