cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hero Firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1 - When

I need to know when Sprint will release the firmware upgrade to 2 or 2.1.  I want the new Google Maps with voice navigation, and it will run only on Android firmware versions above 1.5.  I'm planning a vacation in May and the new Google application would be crucial to gps guided touring.  Sprint has no reception in the Yosemite National Parks areas (or just about anywhere in NW Cal outside major cities, or along the pacific coast.  So I may have to buy more harware if the firmware release doesn't come soon.

I love my Android phone, but would like to enjoy all the latest Google apps, especially the new voice navigation Maps and all its neat features that would aid in touring new places.

330 REPLIES 330
Highlighted
Journeyman

Verizon did very little promoting of the release for Android 2.1.  I just don't get it.  Sprint has only given tid bits of info though Tweets.  Why not scream it from the roof tops that your phone is going to get better on X date.  What is bothering me is how vague they are being with when it will be released.  I would be much more satisfied if Sprint were to say that Android 2.1 was going to be released on May 15th and then move up the date rather than just say first half of 2010 and then early qtr 2 of 2010.  Just give us a date!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still not official, but it appears the update will be done on April 9th

http://www.androidspin.com/2010/04/01/htc-hero-android-2-1-release-from-sprint-updated/

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why give a date or divulge that it will never be released when they can string you along for a few more months before the truth finally comes out that they were buying time until the N1 and EVO were released?

On the otherhand, if the way they have handled the 2.1 update and support for the Hero and Moment are any indication, they will let the EVO die on the vine too. Why pay premium price for a premium phone when you can get an N1 and just use Sprint's service? Think Google should use that as a selling point--no carrier update BS.

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Highlighted
Journeyman

izzy the moderator - the guy in charge of making announcments over the sprint forum (i think) has DISPROVED THE APRIL 9TH RUMOR.

I REPEAT, APRIL 9TH IS A NO-NO.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd wish they would give a us a date too, and I know what you mean when it just feels like they have not set any type of priority on this update at all.

If they just released a day it would put all of us at ease - how hard is that?

And don't get me wrong I want the update to be as bug-free as the next guy but it just seems like they are purposely holding back information.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good Evening everyone,

The HTC Hero will not be upgraded anytime soon. Anything you hear about it coming in the next week, or April 9th is rumor and not true. The Hero will not get the 2.1 update until AFTER the EVO is released on the 4g network. Sprint announced the EVO will be the first device to have Android 2.1 on the Sprint network and has been marketing that fact. Once the EVO is released in June, they will then work to move all the Android devices to 2.1. My guess is Sprint Androids would see the 2.1 coming maybe June, but more likely July (which was the original release date in the statement) depending on how the EVO is received. But as of right now, there is little pressure to move any Sprint phones to 2.1 and you will see maintenance updates coming through for various bug fixes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know where you are getting your information, but Sprint has promised the update in early 2Q. Also, they no where state that the Evo will be the first 2.1 phone. And the Nexus One will probably be out before the Evo as well. Not to be rude, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Highlighted

Actually, I believe Sprint stated the evo will be the first 4g phone on the Sprint network and will be running Android 2.1.  So there is another person taking words and twisting them for even more rumors.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Man, I sure hope you're wrong.

If my Moment doesn't have 2.1 by the end of this month then I'm afraid I'm going to have haveta kiss Sprint goodbye and switch over to the DROID on Verizon.  I love my phone but it's just way too buggy...  I can't deal with having it for a personal and business phone because of all the CDMA lockups among other quirks that the 1.5 OS has but at the same time I love Android!  I'd get the Hero but since it doesn't have a full keyboard, it's a dealbreaker.

It's been confirmed that the update will come EARLY 2Q, but I know how Sprint is about release dates.  Usually way off.

In all honesty, you're probably not too far off from the truth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually I have a friend that is a tech in my local sprint store and he tells me the same thing. They had a meeting with a HTC rep No update for Hero for a few more months. Until after release of the EVO. However he also said that the moment could possibly get the update earlier though but nothing concrete. And no new date set.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If this is the case, that is B.S.!  That is not why I switched carriers....to be locked into a phone with dust under my screen, a chipping "end call" button and then to not get updates in a timely manner.  What a joke.  They don't want to honor warranties and now they can't update my phone.  WTF!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, if that's the case then Sprint is gonna lose a lot of customers.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat