cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero SMS Text Messaging Conversations Timestamp

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hero SMS Text Messaging Conversations Timestamp

I have this issue with SMS timestamps using the stock "messages" program. There seems to be some delay in the times, thus making the messages in a conversation totally out of order and difficult to read / follow.

I have installed Handcent and it solved this issue (Chomp SMS was unable to fix it). However, I find it ridiculous that I have to install 3rd party software to have the sms program / conversations work properly. That seemed to be the only solution I've found by searching, which is not really acceptable.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a fix, aside from 3rd party? I assume it's Sprint network?

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

Re: Hero SMS Text Messaging Conversations Timestamp

i have the same problem, however i dont get any picture messages, and sometimes i get an error saying that i have to send it to a 10 digit number, extremely annoying.

Journeyman

I have this issue, its only happened recently however... even a hard reset did not fix my issues... I've converted to Handcent. We have two Hero's and the other one does not do it as often as mine does...

Journeyman

@Langella - Fortunately I have no problems to send / receive text, and I have received MMS no problem as well. I don't have the 10 digit number problem either. It's just this out of order conversation / timestamp issue so far.

@dfbonney re: "I have this issue, its only happened recently however... even a hard reset did not fix my issues... I've converted to Handcent. We have two Hero's and the other one does not do it as often as mine does..."

Weird that one has the issue more often than the other. But they both do have this problem?

I still feel it's completely unreasonable that one needs to resort to 3rd party additions (Handcent) to solve this. I like the android messaging layout, I don't want to use Handcent.

Why does Handcent work, but Android doesnt...

Journeyman

My only guess is that the default HTC Messages application runs purely off of sent time instead of receive time. Even when I look at Handcent the time is incorrect. If I open my texts in Messages they are organized by the time, not by when my device actually got them. The Messages application is built by HTC, I dont think this is really a Sprint issue, nor a specific Android issue but an HTC issue since they developed the application. It all has to do with how the texts are organized... sounds like something simple to change but could actually take a good amount of coding time. Maybe we'll see a difference in 2.1 when its released.

Journeyman

I have the same issue as the OP but in my case its on the HTC touch pro 2. The TP2 has 2 messaging apps built in. The standard windows mobile app and one embedded on the TouchFlo interface (touchflo is a Ui for windows mobile by htc similar to what they did for android with Sense). Anyway the text conversation in completely out of order and wrong time stamps on the htc app. On the stock app the time stamps are still incorrect but they are in order as far as the messages that are sent and received. Also what I have noticed is that when i get a sms from someone on the sprint network they come in with the correct time, but when friends on other carriers text me the time is off usually 15-30 mins.

On a different note, it seems there have been issues with HTC phones not displaying text information properly. Ever since the new year, TP2 users were experiencing their texts with the year on them being 2016. A few weeks ago HTC released a official fix for the "2016 text" issue. Basically its difficult to tell wether its a HTC issue, Sprints issue or just a network issue but whatever it is id like for it to be resolved.

Journeyman

@dfbonney - Good points, I also hope they fix it in a new release. I guess it doesn't matter if it's HTC or Sprint, so long as the issue is resolved.

@Westsiide  - That's interesting, as I notice it most with texts from people on other carriers as well (ATT & I believe my sister has Verizon). It is roughly 10 to 15 minutes off. I deleted all my conversations and reset to see if that fixed anything (I'm doubtful), so I'll pay better attention when the texts start coming in again.

And, re: "On the stock app the time stamps are still incorrect but they are in order as far as the messages that are sent and received".

That is a start, having the messages in order (without 3rd party apps). That would be my first wish, being able to read a conversation as it happened. However, bottom line, sometimes I need to look back and know the exact time a message was received.

Journeyman

Just an update, I contacted HTC and they suggest a factory reset because that will re-install their HTC messaging program. I guess I'll give that a whirl, though I am somewhat doubtful it will be the solution.

Journeyman

The text message timestamp problem isn't really anything new.  It's been happening for quite a while (there's at least a few posts on the subject on each of the Android forums around the internet).  The best I've heard from anyone from Sprint is a "meh" and a shoulder shrug.  The cookie-cutter tech support response of "do a hard reset and wipe the phone" didn't do anything to solve the issue.

With all that being said, for some reason it hasn't happened to me over the past month or so, but maybe I'm just lucky.  I certainly didn't do anything different so maybe Sprint fixed something behind the scenes?  But apparently not if people are still having problems.

Journeyman

Still happening... Hopefully the new update is around the corner with a fix.

Journeyman

Here's an example of the issue, that just happend this afternoon. The HTC seems to rearrange the actual times messages were sent.

This is the exact order as displayed on my phone:

13:16 (THEM) - I'll call you on my way home!
13:19 (THEM) - Oh, how does it look?!
13:20 (THEM) - I can't wait to hear!
13:22 (ME) --- BTW I got mom's birthday present delivered
13:23 (ME) --- It's a lot of peanuts, so I didn't unpack it, I'll check tonight!

Somehow these are totally wrong times. Read it, it's out of order and doesn't make sense.

Here is how it should read, and in the order we texted:

13:16 (THEM) - I'll call you on my way home!
13:22 (ME) --- BTW, I got mom's birthday present delivered
13:19 (THEM) - Oh, how does it look?!
13:23 (ME) --- It's a lot of peanuts, so I didn't unpack it, I'll check tonight!
13:20 (THEM) - I can't wait to hear!

The times are totally incorrect for some reason.... I am not sure if this is coming from the network or the messaging program, but HANDCENT can put them in proper order, so it's obviously fixable.

Message was edited by: elh1

Journeyman

Another interesting find is that ChompSMS has the same out of order sequence as the default messaging application. I'm wondering what the developer for Handcent is doing that is different than HTC and Chomp.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat