cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero and Android 2.2 (The Real Story)

Journeyman

Re: Hero and Android 2.2 (The Real Story)

Just root it and add a custom 2.2 rom. its easy, and your phone will be faster with a longer battery life.

Message was edited by: 1sdhayes

Journeyman

HTC wants "Sense" branded phones.  They want their phones to be differentiated from other Android based phones from Verizon and others.  To accomplish that, they've developed their own operating theme to lay on top of Android.  That's all Sense is: a layer of software between the user and the operating system.

To run that layer efficiently, you need a phone with a suitable processor.  The Arm6 processor in the Hero is not that chip.

That's why as long as you are running SenseUI on top of Android you will always have lag on your Sprint Hero. 

The only solution seems to be to root the Hero and install a custom ROM such as CM6.  I have no lag when making a call, no lag when typing a text message, and slide from screen to screen with no lag.  I don't have any additional tweaks or overclocking or any other tricks.  Just a good solid stock Android OS.  I can get my emails, perform web searches, do voice to text, MAKE PHONE CALLS, send text messages, use the GPS, and much much more.  CM6 after all is FROYO 2.2. 

In other words, the phone simply works.  Why?  No burdensome SenseUI. 

Shame on Sprint/HTC for selling a promise and failing to deliver. 

Journeyman

whistler5153 wrote:

HTC wants "Sense" branded phones.  They want their phones to be differentiated from other Android based phones from Verizon and others.

In other words, the phone simply works.  Why?  No burdensome SenseUI.

Shame on Sprint/HTC for selling a promise and failing to deliver.

HTC is not Sprint. HTC has several Sense devices available on Verizon, most notably the Droid Incredible.

As for the last part, my phone with Fresh 2.4 and Darch's OC kernel is more lag-free than CM6. It's not just Sense.

Journeyman

As I said, HTC wants their phones to be uniquely HTC.  That is where SenseUI comes in.  Regardless if the phone is on Sprint, Verizon, ATT, whatever, you will know it's an HTC phone because it is running SenseUI.  That's the branding part of it.

I've run both CM6 and Fresh 2.4 - both with Darch's kernel.  I was disappointed with Fresh and went back to CM6.  Other user's experiences will vary.  Use what you like.  That's the beauty of Android!

It all comes down to the fact that the "SenseUI by HTC" branded Hero offers sub-par performance and a less than satisfying experience for many, many users.  The only solution after more than a year seems to be rooting and flashing a custom ROM.

Neither Sprint, nor HTC appear willing to acknowledge that fact.

Journeyman

Are there simple directons on Rooting the Hero, and Flashing a custom ROM?  The process sounds sketchy to me as it is, but I think I could do it to my son's Hero if there were some step-by-step directions.

Patron

There are directions for rooting the phone however before I can direct you to such a place I need to know what version of HTC's OS you have on your phone.  Also are you able to do very basic DOS type activiities like open a command prompt, change directories, and cut/paste commands into the command prompt.  The ability to follow instructions exactly is very important when rooting a phone.

To get the version of your OS:  Menu -> Settings -> About Phone

From there I think it is the Kernel Version.  You should have one of the following versions:

1.29.651.1 - original 1.5

1.56.651.2 - patched 1.5

2.27.651.5 - inital 2.1 release

2.27.651.6 - patched 2.1 (to prevent rooting but was bypassed within 1 week)

2.31.651.7 - patched 2.1, most recent patch and does make rooting harder but haven't looked into it in detail.

There are different instructions based on the version you have due to changes made by HTC.  Please keep in mind that (as I did when I rooted my phone) that you are responsible for correctly following directions and educating yourself on rooting.  Any damage to your phone is your responsibility.  With that said it is very rare that someone bricks their phone and when they do it is because they didn't follow directions.

Patron

Also another note as to the discussion of lag on the phones.  A good deal of the lag does come from the overhead that the HTC sense software puts on the phone.  For the modded HTC based roms like Fresh ROM  it has a lot of stuff stripped out and a UV kernel added to it.  For those that don't know the UV kernel is a kernel developed/modded that allows both overclocking and undervolting of the cpu on the phone.  This allows for better peformance and better battery life.  The improvements in Froyo also do contribute to reduction of lag and as previously stated each users experience will differ slightly.

Here are some real world specs that were done using Quandrant bench marking tool that is on the Market:

HTC 2.1 initial release:  Scored 212

Darchdroid (v2.7 which is Stock Android 2.1): Scored 292

Froyo 2.2 (CM6): Scored 386 (as of my last run) however the scores run any where from 350 to 500 depending on how you tweak the performance settings.

I did run benchmarking on other HTC versioned ROMs and got scores from 180 to 220 but that has been a while and I'm sure there has been improvements to them (especially on the Fresh ROM) so I didn't put any details down for them.

Notice that I still state a reduction of lag.  The Hero's main problem is the hardware.  Not enough memory and a poor CPU.  The CPU on our phone sucks at floating point calculations.  It's funny when people compare the Hero to the Droid (not that it has been done in this thread) so here is a comparison based on what can be done with the CPU without going into architecture details.  Forgive me if I am slightly off on these numbers.

Hero CPU:

1. Stock speed 528 Mhz,  Max overclock speed 768 (not all phones can do this though and 691 Mhz seems to be stable across the board).  My phone can go to 768 and be stable although it would get a little hot with use so I run either 691 or 710 Mhz.
  2. Quandrant max score I've gotten on Froyo is 452 with CPU overclocked to 768 Mhz although I've seen postings of around 500.

Motorola Droid CPU (Newer version than Hero's):

1. Stock speed 550 Mhz.  Not sure of Max overclock but I have seen it overclock to 1100 Mhz in person and it is useable daily at that speed.
  2. Quandrant max score (that I've seen in person) on Froyo with CPU overclocked to 1100 Mhz is 1368 which is higher then what the Nexus One scores (1100 on 2.1 OS) with a 1 Ghz CPU.

No matter what HTC or the community developers do, the lag will not be completely eliminated.  The hardware in the Hero is just not good enough.  All we can hope for is some improvement to make it bearable.

Message was edited by: svanmeter1

Journeyman

i'm curious what performance others are getting after the most recent update (to 2.31.651.7).  i have almost zero lag in the dialer and the phone overall is much more responsive...

Journeyman

Have you tried contacting Sprint Executive Services?

They are a small office out of Ft. Worth, TX and have been very helpful for me in the past. Try Googling to find a working number. (They change the number a lot..)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had .7 when I attempted to root my Hero. It can be done as mine is rooted but it involves some more steps and your phone getting wiped out. You basically have to revert back to Android 1.5 (yes, you can!) and then run the rooting instructions. From there you can then upload custom froyo roms and what not. I am still using the stock 2.1 as 2.2 does not have a lot of the htc features like sense and the rom I used did not have android market.

However, by rooting, I was able to uninstall useless sprint apps, change my boot loading screen, make backups and use "root only" apps from the market!  Its like a brand new phone again!  I would post links but I am sure the mods will delete them and/or ban me so I am going to be on the cautious side. Simply do a search on rooting the sprint htc hero, do your homework on the site you look at, read the comments (if any) and follow any instructions TO THE T!

Journeyman

i want to root my hero.

does it erase my # and the sprint connect settings?

Journeyman

leo72793 wrote:

i want to root my hero.

does it erase my # and the sprint connect settings?

I used Universal Androot v1.6.1  I was running Android 2.1 when I did it.

It's a one click root. and gives you Super User if you chose to install it at the same time.

Using Fresh UI 2.4.0 I'm satisfied with it, no problems. No lagging.

I used Titanium (paid version) to backup apps and data, the uninstalled things I didn't want Such as Facebook app.

No it doesn't change anything else just to root your phone. You do that on your own after you've rooted.

Paul

Message was edited by: PITTSPGH1

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat