cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero hardware or software to blame?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hero hardware or software to blame?

I read through this forum on a regular basis, as well as various Android sites. And honestly I haven't really found a clear, concise explanation of the issues on the Sprint Hero. Some indicate that it is underpowered hardware while others claim that it is Android 1.5 to blame and still others that it is in fact HTC Sense that causes the slow downs, lag and crashes.

I personally doubt it's the hardware. While it's true that it isn't the latest, most mind numbingly fast hardware, I have used MT3G's that have even less RAM etc. and they seem to work just fine. Fast even at launching stuff, typing and general overall responsiveness. The ones that I've used however did have Android 1.6, which I hear fixes a lot of these issues, and did not have SenseUI.

My biggest issues are the ring lag, which has been gone for several weeks actually (I now get 3-5 rings to answer instead of 1 and a half), the overall lag after my phone is on for a few days (72 hrs uptime seems to be "my" magical number then performance plummits), the youtube issue (which has been less the last week or so, now videos play 7 out of 10 times on the first try while in wifi unlike the 2 out of 10 before. On 3G they still won't hardly play at all though) and the dial pad lag.

Plus just general unresponsiveness on occasion. Like me pressing on an icon to launch something and it turns the green highlight several seconds later then launches, but this seems to follow the more than 72hr uptime rule. The phone just becomes a lag fest after about 72hrs uptime for me. Before the first MR update I could easily get 100+ hrs of uptime with no slow down. In fact, I only rebooted my phone if an app update or something like that needed it.

The ring lag going away and youtube now mostly playing every video on first attempt, while in wifi at least, puzzles me. I have done nothing "new" or different. I haven't changed any settings or anything like that. Before the last few weeks if I didn't get my phone on the first ring, I missed the call. I could literally have my phone in my hand when it rang, and if I swiped to answer but it didn't register fully, I didn't have time to swipe again because it would ring about another half ring then on to VM. The caller would tell me that it just rang and rang on their end. I got about a ring and a half, sometimes 2 full rings. Now, as stated, I get a solid 3-4 rings. I counted 6 on a call a couple days ago. And youtube has just as suddenly started to work for me...while in wifi. Again, as stated, in 3G it won't play a video in hi-res unless I stand on my head, one foot behind me, my thumb in my @ss and beg pretty please. Then it "might" play. Just make sure you wash you hands afterwards though...

11 REPLIES 11
Patron

Re: Hero hardware or software to blame?

What a great point, I too would like know this.

Journeyman

In reply to your thread, Jturnbow,  I beleive that the problem lies within the software. After rooting the Hero and preforming various tweaks such as the custom kernel and others, the only problem that i am left with is Sprint and HTCs blatant refusal to issue a Youtube fix.  2.1 will cure this problem but this has been going on since the November MR (Nov 12th). With 2.1 not coming til at least April, this is a nearly 5 month span that something could have been done to fix the problem in the mean time. This is an HTC software problem as it is only present on phones running the current build of HTC Sence including Sprint Hero, Euro Hero, and Verizon Eris.

Also, for those of you who feel that 2.1 will be the cure all, rest assured, there will be other problems crop up that HTC will refuse to fix. Just sayin.......

Journeyman

I agree that, IMHO, we are experiencing O/S overload with all the applications HTC has running on top of the base Android in addition to the O/S hack to make 1.5 work with CDMA.

I wonder now if our and other HTC 1.5 phones are in a holding pattern so that our 2.1 release will not be before newer phones release dates?  I guess when April comes (and goes most likely) we'll see.

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now Android Phone™ on the Now Network™.

Unlike a certain battery powered bunny who  keeps "Going and going and going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and waiting and waiting..."

Patron

Fubie wrote:

I agree that, IMHO, we are experiencing O/S overload with all the applications HTC has running on top of the base Android in addition to the O/S hack to make 1.5 work with CDMA.

I wonder now if our and other HTC 1.5 phones are in a holding pattern so that our 2.1 release will not be before newer phones release dates?  I guess when April comes (and goes most likely) we'll see.

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint

Unlike a certain battery powered bunny who  keeps "Going and going and going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and waiting and waiting..."

Are you suggesting that our Hero's lag more than the GSM Hero because of the "O/S hack to make 1.5 work with CDMA"?

Journeyman

I am giving my opinion (hence the IMHO) that IN ADDITION to the overload that HTC piles on the phone including Sense, the CDMA hack I'm sure helps the cause tremendously.  Of course I do not have a GSM Hero to compare to my CDMA Hero.

LOL again I love my Hero and purchased mine without subsidy and will stick with it.  I'm not sure with the awesome response Sprint has shown for their "Flagship" Android phone that I'll lay out the bucks for another phone again though.

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint

Patron

Hmm it does make sense, since 1.5 does not natively support CDMA.

And yes, I will take my 2.1 update and run!

Journeyman

I don't care what the problem is, hardware or software although I really don't think it's the hardware.  I also don't care if Sprint/HTC issues another maintenance release for 1.5 or releases 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 or whatever the image is going to be.  I want Sprint to

1) Admit there is a problem instead of blindly swapping my phone out pretending it's only me having the problem so it must be a hardware issue

2) Provide the information to their phone CSRs who are clueless about issues

3) Provide some official word as to what they are doing about the problem

4) Give a realistic date of when we all can expect the major problems fixed

Instead Sprint who keeps taking a beating in the industry reviews for their poor customer service and how they keep hemorrhaging customers is continuing to do what they do best which is NOTHING!

So Sprint and HTC get your heads out of your you know what and address the problems!!!!

-TL

Patron

Time_Lord wrote:

I don't care what the problem is, hardware or software although I really don't think it's the hardware.  I also don't care if Sprint/HTC issues another maintenance release for 1.5 or releases 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 or whatever the image is going to be.  I want Sprint to

1) Admit there is a problem instead of blindly swapping my phone out pretending it's only me having the problem so it must be a hardware issue

Instead Sprint who keeps taking a beating in the industry reviews for their poor customer service and how they keep hemorrhaging customers is continuing to do what they do best which is NOTHING!

So Sprint and HTC get your heads out of your you know what and address the problems!!!!

-TL

You say you "don't care if Sprint/HTC issues another maintenance release," and instead want Sprint to

and then... never issue a maintence release? Well what's the point of doing steps 1-4 then, just for the fun of it? As idle as it may SEEM Sprint has been (with the delay of releasing 2.1) they are a corporate company managing a nationwide cellular service. I think the problem you are dealing with is a personal pride issue - you want Sprint to admit they are wrong, to make you feel better, even if it doesnt fix any phone problem.

Realistically, and as I'm sure more people would agree with, we dont give a darn what Sprint does or does not admit - what we need is for Sprint to get on the ball with actually releasing the updates that will solve our phone problems. I'd rather them spend all their time and energy doing that rather than taking the time to "admit they are wrong" so that a couple of people with pride issues can feel satisfied.

Don't take this the wrong way, you aren't the only one here doing that, and I'm addressing this to them all - not just you.

Journeyman

troyboytn wrote:

In reply to your thread, Jturnbow,  I beleive that the problem lies within the software. After rooting the Hero and preforming various tweaks such as the custom kernel and others, the only problem that i am left with is Sprint and HTC blatant refusal to issue a Youtube fix. 2.1 will cure this problem ut this has been going on since the November MR (Nov 12th). With 2.1 not coming til at least April, this is a nearly 5 month span that something could have been done to fix the problem in the mean time. This is an HTC software problem as it is only present on phones running the current build of HTC Sence including Sprint Hero, Euro Hero, and Verizon Eris.

Also, for those of you who feel that 2.1 will be the cure all, rest assured, there will be other problems crop up that HTC will refue to fix. Just sayin.......

All I know is, that when using my iTouch, it is usually a joy and great experience. I mean that. It is literally fun to use. I can't say that about my Hero. In fact, it often is like performing an unpleasant chore when trying to use my phone. On my Hero, when I want to show off a feature to a friend I'm secretly hoping that it doesn't f*ck up. I don't have to think twice when showing off my iTouch.

As these devices are all mass produced assembly line items, there are bound to be QC problems. Some just come off the line with defects that cause the software to not work as intended. The iTouch is no exception. The support forums are full of iTouch and iPhones not working correctly. The difference is that those issues seem to be really a QC issue and exchanging the device fixes it. I'm on my 3rd Hero and the problems all follow me from device to device.

It's the same with my daughters Hero. She is always asking something like; when you press an icon does it sit there a bit before it does something? Or, when you dial, do the numbers not show up until you've typed in a few then it stops until it catches up? Same with the keyboard lag while texting. Contrast this with my son's iTouch experience. He's 11, plays games, surfs the web, youtubes, watches movies and IMs constantly. He removes games, adds them back and downloads one demo after the next. And never a complaint. It just works.

They say you get what you pay for, and I have a cheap family everything data plan with Sprint. But the fact is, it's not the more expensive plan with AT&T that makes the iPhone better. That arguably makes it worse. It's that Apple made it better and HTC didn't. I don't believe that if Apple switched to Sprint instead of AT&T that the iPhone would suddenly become as cr@ppy as the Hero. Besides my Hero cost $179 on contract and the iPhone 3G costs just $99. So I should be sh*tting in high cotton and I'm not...

Journeyman

Rooting and getting a custom kernal and a few tweaks really helps. My Hero runs just as good as my iTouch with way more features. Sense slows the phone down, but it can be sped up to the point you don't notice. Part of the problem is the memory management. If you root, get Gumbo's Rom with kernel, then get minfreemanager and turn it up to aggressive settings, it will manage ram better and make it extremely quick. 2.1 will have a new kernel, which will help, and Sense will have an overhaul and no longer need to patch the CDMA, so it should be a lot better after the update. Until then, leverage the community.

Journeyman

My personal opinion is that it is an issue with 1.5.  I am running 2.1 and it is so much faster than the 1.5 base was.  I have Sense running as well.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat