cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero messaging issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hero messaging issues

I've had the Hero since around the beginning of the year and it's been a pretty big pain almost ever since I got it. About a month in, messaging started operating EXTREMELY slow and after doing a reset, nothing changed so instead of going in to the store, I just downloaded the Handcent app which was a suiteable replacement until recently. Handcent was lagging, so after removing that and doing ANOTHER reset, messaging still takes forever to load and send texts, and that's if it doesn't force close before the app even opens. This phone has been a huge disappointment and after waiting in the sprint store and leaving after receiving no help, I'd like for someone to address this issue.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Wizard

The problem may stem from a number of issues. You may have a large amount of messages stored in your text message history. You may have a lot of widgets added to your home screen, or maybe just 1 or two third party widgets that don't manage memory well. You may have some type of always-running app installed that is processing in the background; a good example would be any app that has anti-virus included, such as Lookout Mobile Security. The general theme of all these possiblities is RAM. If something is using a lot of RAM, there may not be enough left to quickly open your messages. Are you running the newest software(2.1)?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am running the lastest software, and I've removed all of the unessential apps that I had on my phone (I don't get the point of having a phone that can't handle multiple apps). And I don't believe that I have a lot of widgets on my home screen. How would I delete text messages stored, or manage the settings so that it doesn't store over a certain amount?

Highlighted
Wizard

Long press on each thread and click delete. I would also go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and clear app data for the Messages app. Some other factors could be: memory-taxing live wallpaper, widgets that access the memory card (picture frame widget) or simply apps running in the background (task killer?). If you powercycle the device, is there any change whatsoever?

Highlighted
Journeyman

the same thing is happen to my phone. i take it in to sprint to wait a few hour so they can do a hard reset and that it. and tell me i need a new phone

Highlighted
Wizard

This occurs if Advanced Task Killer is installed too. I would suggest uninstalling Advanced Task Killer if you have it. I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've never had a task killer on my phone and am pretty good about checking what apps are running and closing them if I'm not using them. I've deleted the vast majority of my old message threads and am still experiencing a lag and having to force close messaging quite often.

Highlighted
Wizard

Do you have email setup on your device. If you do, you might try deleting some emails that you do not need and also delete them from the deleted folder as well. I hope this works.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How do I delete Gmail emails from my phone?

Highlighted
Wizard

Open gmail, then press menu then select delete. from there place a check mark on all the emails that you want deleted. Once that is done, then tap delete. After that press menu then tap on view folders. from there open the trash folder and delete from there. I hope this helps you. also when you are looking at the folders check the spam folder and delete the spam email too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I appreciate your help so far, but after deleting all of the deleted emails on my phone, there has been no change with my messaging. I tried opening up a text message about 30 seconds ago and the loading screen is still appearing on my phone, with no other apps running at the moment. It's really becoming frustrating.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As a matter of fact, since posting that I haven't been able to access my text messages, so it's been about 15 minutes so far

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat