cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero or Instinct HD?

Journeyman

Hero or Instinct HD?

Although I still have about 3 months until an upgrade, I like to know what I am going to go into by knowing the specs and current user's opinions.  With the current lineup of Sprint phones, I have narrowed it down to the Instinct HD and the Hero.  In all reality, I want a WinMo phone...but the TP2 is really not what I have in mind as I really do not want a slider keyboard, plus it is almost 3/4" thick and waaaay to pricey.  Sprint may come out with some new phones by then but I will not hold my breath for it.

I currently have the original m800 Instinct...its ok but I am disappointed.  I have heard some very good reviews of the HD but overall it still seems to be just an Instinct so to speak.  I have also heard good things about the Hero and what draws me to it is the fact of all the apps available.  Instinct users basically got the shaft when it came to apps and made it almost impossible to develop them.

Everything makes me lean towards the Hero so that is why I am posting this.  I would like to know honest opinions about the Hero and if it is a more suitable choice than the Instinct HD.  I know each phone has its ups and downs and I have read quite a few of the posts in here.  I am basically looking for an overall "Yes, get the Hero" or a "Run as fast and far away as you can" kind of response and why.

Any thoughts are welcome as Sprint is really making consumers have to think harder about what phone to upgrade to as their lineup basically sucks compared to other providers.  I have not heard anything about WinMo since the TP2 came out and would love to see more of those.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Hero or Instinct HD?

I have had my Hero about 2 1/2 months and and enjoying it a great deal.  I came from ATT and a winmo device ( fuze) that was replaced 6 times HTC tried to fix the problem and was working with me to do so after the software upgrade but ATT stopped them.  I played with the Hero and Moment quite a bit in the store and decided on the Hero.  Have not regretted it one bit.  I haven't had any major issues with it at all.  I think it is definitely worth it.

Journeyman

I think it depends on what you want in a phone. If you want the ability to record 720p videos, hook the phone up to an HD TV and watch the video in HD....get the Instinct HD. Otherwise, get the Hero. The Hero is much cheaper and does everything (including apps, a high level of customization, and continued support and OS updates into the future). These are things the Instinct doesnt and never will do (except the HD video). There really is no comparison. Does the Hero have its quirks and problems....absolutely, and so does the Instinct HD. Go Hero, it's entirely possible that you might have some degree of disapointment, but I guarantee it will be no where near the level of disapointment you will feel after shelling out 249$ for an Instinct. I have absolutely no regret dumping the Instinct line.

Journeyman

Before I got my Hero, I was down to the same choice.  I went and played with both and it wasn't close.  Hero all the way.  Apps, customization, speed, screen response, price etc. all were plusses in the Hero's favor.  Combined with the previous Instinct's reputation and lack of support it all put the Hero over the top.  The camera/camcorder IS very, very nice on the HD... but that was the only thing I thought was better.  Reading a little from Instinct HD owners and having the Hero for 3 months has me quite confident I made the right call.

Journeyman

Go to Best Buy, check both of them out.  They offer both of these phones for the exact same price on an upgrade.

If your looking for apps, I can tell you right now that disappointment is all your going to see. They say the Titan platform would add

developing ease but nobody is developing...even KB has moved to the Hero, so...there goes our only hope.

Now, if your looking for a new look or a new platform, then roll with the Hero. If your looking for the true Instinct upgrade, the HD is just that.

Comparing both phones made my phone choice easy.

Looks...in my opinion the HD phone just looks better with the chrome edging.

The Camera is better, lot's of customizing, and the Camcorder is supremely better, the Flash is the brightest I've ever seen on a phone.

The Speakerphone is Loudest I've heard on any phone.

Opera Mobile 9.7 is faster than Hero's browser in speed and if we get Opera Mobile 10, it'll be 70% faster than it is now...which is pretty fast.

You'll lose live search with the Navigation combo. Ultimate deal breaker for me, I absolutely love this built-in feature.

The screen is easily enjoyable to see out on a sunny day, and the ambiant light sensor makes adjustments automatically... pretty good imo.

Proximity sensor...no more bumping mute on a phone call....

Many more upgrades compared to the original Instinct, it's just a better phone now.

The rest goes to the Hero I suppose...customizing the phone, make it yours. Seriously...have a new look to the entire phone on any given day.

apps ..........LOT'S OF APPS ( i'm jealous, really )

You gain a trackball for navigation ease.

You also gain Multi-touch ( which makes no sense why we don't have this )

You won't be stuck with a song limit on your music player...

And to be honest, the Hero's browser is probably slower due to the way it renders flash based content.

Right now both phones need a performance boost, and Hero owners got a glimpse of the future.

Over all, I'm glad I upgraded when I did..The Original Instinct is slowly getting worse, and nobody seems to care.

Good luck with your choice...Be sure to check out the Moment before making a decision, it's actually a pretty decent phone in it's own right.

Journeyman

I had the original Instinct also and was a bit disappointed with it too, about the only thing I really liked about it was the fact that it helped me to get used to and really enjoy a touchscreen phone.  Before I got the Hero I decided to check out the InstinctHD and wasn't impressed.  It seemed to me to be nothing more then a visually upgraded version of what I already had.

One of the things I liked "trying" to do with my Instinct was watching nfl network since my cable company doesn't yet offer that.  When I tried that on the InstinctHD the video was just as choppy and unviewable as it was on the original and the ability to hook it up to a tv is imo a worthless option that shouldn't be a consideration for purchase.  The Hero has had no problems whatsoever with video and with all the options I think the Hero is the better choice.

It would however be a good idea to check out each phone, and maybe a few others, play around with them a little bit so you give yourself a fair chance to make a sound choice that you'll be happy with.

Journeyman

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate the honest feedback.  I will more than likely go to the Hero...although I will miss the Live Search feature, that is awesome.  But feature for feature, the Hero looks to be the winner for me.  I do not really take many pics or videos so the HD part of the Instinct does not really concern me any.  Unless Sprint rolls out the next gotta have phone by then...wait that will happen AFTER I get the Hero, lol.

Again, thanks for the input!

Journeyman

The Hero is the most awesome phone.  My mom has an iphone 16 G and while I like the screen and ease of use, the Hero beats its socks off.  My only complaint is the lack of "Live Search" that I had on my Instinct. It was the most used program I had and so far superior to the Sprint Navigation/Where/Google Maps, etc. because it gave immediate turn-by-turn directions and immediately searched, by voice command, for any business or location imaginable.  I continue to hope that Sprint gets with it and makes this an available option for the Hero.  

Journeyman

I've had my HTC Hero for about a month and absolutely LOVE it. Previously I had the Instinct SPH-M800. A friend of mine got an iPhone about the same time, and I like my phone so much better. There is very few apps that my friend can get, that I can't find something similar. The Hero is a little sluggish compared to the iPhone, but so much better than the Instinct. With the Hero the Sprint Navagation, Google Maps and internet all work all of the time, where it was a definate hit and miss with the Instinct.

The only thing I miss from my instinct is the second battery, and how quickly it charged up.

Go with the Hero, you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck!

Journeyman

Get the Hero, you will LOVE it! I finally got Sprint to replace my junk M800 with the Hero, and I am EXTREMELY impressed. Also, the Android 2.1 update is suppose to be available in soon (if not today), which will offer even better features (Google Navigation: Turn by turn voice directions with Google's super-awesome search power). Android has infinitely more potential than Instinct's Titain. From my tech support experience, I do not think Samsung supports their products well, anyways.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat