cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I uninstall PEEP??? Is this the REAL Battery Problem??

Highlighted
Journeyman

How can I uninstall PEEP??? Is this the REAL Battery Problem??

I've been experimenting with different APP and Task management applications and as such I loaded up TaskControl. This came from a recommendation from the Battery thread. Much to my surprise I found that PEEP was running in the background... a lot and often... it had never shown up before in any of my other Task Management applications.I was particularly disturbed by this because VERY early on I saw a Hero Video Review that discussed a flaw with PEEP and how it was SUCKING the reviewers battery DRY! I don't Tweet consequently I've been careful in the entire history of my Hero's ownership NEVER to use the PEEP App!!

When I go into my Social App Settings I see options for updating posts to FaceBook, Flickr and Twitter when I hit settings here I can turn off FaceBook and Flickr updates BUT not Twitter... the best I can do is shut it down to only updating ONCE a day. What's interesting about all of this is that once I Text with any Texting App PEEP seems to wakeup... I know many have been able to get their Hero's to sleep for awhile.. but also many report that their phones will Sleep for a certain amount of Time and then suddenly revert back to the original problem of not Sleeping again for some unknown reason.

My question...Could ALL these Text Message and Sleep issues be related to the already known PEEP issues? Do you folks that have your sleep issues reoccurring use PEEP? How in the world can I uninstall this App?? When I go to the standard App Manager I can force PEEP closed and clear the Storage and Cache but when I go to my AppManager it does not show to Delete... I want PEEP GONE!!

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Re: How can I uninstall PEEP??? Is this the REAL Battery Problem??

I don't think you can remove it, or anything installed from the factory. (i.e.- sprint nfl or nascar). I use task manager to cancel out programs I'm not using. I just downloaded the application you mentioned, and surely enough, it said peep was running. I don't have twitter, and have never even used peep, so I'm not sure as to why it would be running. So naturally, I canceled the task, but next time I opened task control, it said it was running again. So I'd imagine that even if you're like me and don't have twitter, it could pull a decent amount of power just being open. Hopefully HTC distributes a minor update soon to fix these minor issues, and then send out 1.6/ donut.

Journeyman

My peep app only starts running if I open it. I have my background sync setting to manual update.

Journeyman

Quezz wrote:

My peep app only starts running if I open it. I have my background sync setting to manual update.

Download TaskControl and see what it says... you may be surprised??

Journeyman

This is weird. I don`t use any social networks so I decided to check out the settings on them. So I went into the social networks hit the menu key and noticed that the settings on all three (Facebook, Flickr and twitter) were set to update every 1 hour. So I unchecked the update automatically box. The F.acebook and Flickr stayed unchecked but the Twitter keeps rechecking by itself. Maybe there is something to that Peep idea.

Can`t find a way to get rid of the Peep either.

Journeyman

I installed task control and shut down Peep. It keeps restarting itself within seconds. How do you kill this app?

Journeyman

This is a known problem, go to Google and type Android  Peep issue you will find that there have been   Many issues with this app so my question now is if I can't uninstall it how do I download the fixed app?

Journeyman

I can agree with you that peep launches when it shouldn't be however I can also tell you that I personally DO use peep and my battery lasted for 54 hours before it died on me. I am not a heavy user like some however I have peep updating and google sync always running. The issue of peep continually running needs to be looked at, but it is NOT killing your battery.

Journeyman

tshaw1 wrote:

My question...Could ALL these Text Message and Sleep issues be related to the already known PEEP issues? Do you folks that have your sleep issues reoccurring use PEEP? How in the world can I uninstall this App?? When I go to the standard App Manager I can force PEEP closed and clear the Storage and Cache but when I go to my AppManager it does not show to Delete... I want PEEP GONE!!

I'm sure the reviewers you mentioned were probably having the HTC Messages (SMS) issue that we all are experiencing. I use Peep regularly with the default options and do not have any problem with battery drain or system performance as a result. Just because an application runs, doesn't necessarily mean it's causing noticeable performance or battery issue. That's kind of like us blinking or breathing.. we do it but it doesn't make us tired as a result.

My questions for you are:

1. Do you use the HTC Twitter widget? Might be a dumb question but if Sense UI (which always runs) sees that one of it's widgets was killed while still activated, it might relaunch.
  2. Do you use a 3rd party SMS application such as Handcent or ChompSMS as a workaround for the battery life/sleep issue?
  3. Do you regularly "kill" any applications using app managers? Some apps could be dependecies of or "call" other apps.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know if any of my theories are valid.

Journeyman

Oh yea tried everything that's been suggested but I'm just too stubborn to do a factory reset... and I am a long time programmer but not on the Android Platform. However, I do have the ADK, JDK and Eclpise tools downloaded, up and running and a couple books purchased. I'll take my time and try to understand the nuances of Android over the winter.

But in any case... I think what one has to consider here is what is interfaced to what.. For instance I just made a call and noticed afterwards that the Dialer was up which makes perfect sense.... but Android also drug up Handcent and Peep... now I'm asking myself why would this happen... and then I stopped to realize that if someone calls and you're busy Android allows one to send a quick Text to your caller informing them that you're too busy to talk etc. Voice Search comes up too so one can speak to find a Contact... then People comes up so Android can find your Contact... There must be very close ties to Text and Peep perhaps Android uses portions of one's Text App to perform Tweets... also GPS fires up when Peep comes up I guess to tell your friends where you are when you tweet [I'm new to Twitter, obviously].

In any case I'm impressed with all the interfaces and integration... AND I'm NOT questioning anyone's Android knowledge or Integrity here... I'm just saying that one has to be careful when analyzing any issues in this environment for there is much cause and affect... up and down the program stack. And issues with PEEP are so legendary across the world that they have names like "Twitpocalypse" and "Twitpocalypse II."

Journeyman

I've seen something on another site how the HTC IM app on the G1 uses SMS to send instead of data. Theoretically it would probably use the built-in Messages app to send. If you still have the 100% awake issue do you happen to use IM? Perhaps Peep does as well instead of the Twitter API.

I'm going to test this.

Journeyman

I am not a twitter user, but I too cannot deselect auto updates for twitter. But I have been able to select update once every 24 hours verses every hour. So thats at least a little better

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat