cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get 2.1 on my Sprint Hero by HTC?

Patron

How do I get 2.1 on my Sprint Hero by HTC?

In November, 2009, I went for the Sprint Google Android by HTC (Hero). Now there is a new OS out, or coming out within a few weeks. I've been told, but am not sure it is true, that my existing HTC phone is NOT upgradeable to the 2.1 version of the Android Software.

How do I get myself upgraded to version 2.1 of the Android OS? Do I have to get a new phone? What will it cost me to do that? Are there upgrade procedures, or do I wait until November 2011 before I am eligible for any upgrade?

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: How do I get 2.1 on my Sprint Hero by HTC?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=583291

Check this site out. I rooted my sprint hero and run 2.1 from damage control. It's fast and works great. Also, the developers over there are super helpful if you run into trouble.

Sprint Product Ambassador

The official upgrade for the Sprint Hero by HTC will be coming out soon.  You'll be able to update your phone to the 2.1 software for no additional cost.

The link above (rooting your phone) is not supported by Sprint and could potentially break your phone.

Thanks for posting!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Patron

wengla03 wrote:

The official upgrade for the Sprint Hero by HTC will be coming out soon.  You'll be able to update your phone to the 2.1 software for no additional cost.

The link above (rooting your phone) is not supported by Sprint and could potentially break your phone.

Thanks for posting!

Thank you for this information, which I had missed if other sources published it at all. In fact, I have seen speculation both ways on other sites - that the existing Hero would be upgradeable to 2.1 and that it would not.

I get information from HTC via Twitter many times a week, but they've been coy about this upgrade - but maybe I just missed their Tweet about it. Thanks again.

Edited to add my recommendation for the post @ http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/161548#161548 which discusses the 2.1 update in some detail. It's a useful discussion, even though not all questions about how the update will be distrubuted are answered. And when, of course, still depends on final testing and approval of the code.

There is one warning in the post worth repeating: This update may wipe information on your phone which is not (repeat NOT) on its memory card.

Backup of your phone data seems a good idea, if you know how to do that. Unfortunately I do not, as the "Sync" function does not seem to work between my Hero and my Windows XP SP2 laptop computer.

Message was edited by: pivonka571

Journeyman

If you follow the directions you won't have any problems with switching to 2.1 by rooting. And, like I said the Developers at XDA are way more knowledgable about the phone and OS than sprint and are also way more helpful.(not opinion, just the facts)

Journeyman

It could also potentially make your phone awesome!  But if you're going to root your phone you should really know what you're doing.... but that's nothing a few hours of reading and research won't cure.

Journeyman

So, when is soon.  This "update" was supposed to be out a LONG time ago.  It is available to the general public, why not Sprint?  Furthermore, things on my phone don't work without this update.  I am paying for services you can not and have not provided.  So...when are you going to put the update out.  Don't talk about Vaporware. We have all dealt with Microsoft junk too long.  Get on the ball and deliver.  We pay way more then we should for the service; you should have hunrdreds or thousands of people working on the product from me alone.

Journeyman

Update now available officially! Remember, if you do it this way, you may not be able to get root afterwards. So just make sure you decide before you flash.

Journeyman

Not so much worried about getting it officially as I am about the company I am paying to maintain my information and calls (note to Sprint Admin) with to live up to their end of the agreement.  October 09 to May 10 is too long to be waiting for fixes for KNOWN problems.  Get em done!

Journeyman

i've read a couple post and what does this thing about root thing

Journeyman

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+root+android

Journeyman

I just want an answer from Sprint.  I was told when I purchased this phone that their would be a firmware update.  It has been almost a year later and no update for the HTC Hero.  Once again, I was scammed by corporate America.  Lied to.  Scammed.  I should not have to load the root version.  Sprint programmers should have had this done by now.  This is sickening!  I have beena customer for over 12 years and this is the kind of thing that burns me up and makes me want to just stick it them and join another carrier.  GET BUSY SPRINT!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat