cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I sync my phone contacts to gmail? Very frustrating...

Journeyman

How do I sync my phone contacts to gmail? Very frustrating...

I am usually very technology savy, especially with phones, but I have not been able to figure out how to sync all of my contacts from my phone to my gmail account. I have been told by many that it does it automatically. However, when I get on my laptop and log on to my gmail account and look to see if my contacts are there, they are not. The only contacts in that address book is the three email addresses that I have sent email to from my phone. Am I missing something? Is this just an annoying bug? How can I do this? I want to make sure that all my contacts are saved to my gmail account for back up purposes and before I update the software on my phone.

10 REPLIES
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: How do I sync my phone contacts to gmail? Very frustrating...

Where did your contacts come from?  If you have a file of contacts, you can upload them to Google Contacts, then they'll sync down to your phone.

If the contacts are all on the phone directly, then you can export them from the phone using free 'contacts backup software' from the marketplace.

Copy the backup from your phone to your PC, then upload to Google Contacts.

Related information at:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=4549dafd56c85832&hl=en

Wizard

When you create a contact on your phone, you have the choice of "Google" type or "Phone" type.  If you choose "Google", it will sync to the gmail account you associated with your phone.  If you choose "Phone", it will not.  There is not a way to switch a contact from one type to the other.

Wizard

The only options are to go to a store for them to copy the contacts over or to try to sync to Outlook if you have it.

Once you go to 2.1, you can convert them to Google Contacts:

1. From Contacts, press Menu > Import/Export > Export to SD Card
  2. Choose Phone contacts and export.
  3. Then go back to Menu > Import/Export >Import from SD Card
  4. Choose Google contacts.
  5. Then go sync up your contacts and they will be on Google.
  6. Will have to delete your Phone contacts as you will have duplicates.
  7. From that point on, always choose Google Contact when adding a contact.
Journeyman

When Sprint transferred my contacts from my old phone, they were all phone and not google contacts so wouldn't sync into my new google account. However, I followed your instructions exporting to SD card and then importing as google contacts back into phone. My contacts in the phone then synced into google, but now I have assigned contacts to groups in google and made a couple other changes, and they now are not syncing to my phone! I even ran a manual sync, to no avail. Signed out and back into Google, turned the phone off and on, still nothing. What am I doing wrong now?

Wizard

From Home screen, go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Contacts Storage > Clear Data. Then let it sync back up. Let me know what happens.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dunno, FWATS. I was able to sync FROM the phone TO my online Google account, but not back the other way. So it really makes me nervous to clear my phone contacts in case it STILL won't sync FROM online TO the phone.Then I guess I would have to go the CSV route....

I suppose I could add a contact to the phone as a test, and see if it Syncs 'up' to my account...

Everything IS set up properly at both ends for AutoSync. Just another mystery...

Plus I have a Samsung Intercept, not a HTC Hero, as it happens, and the option to Clear Data does not appear in that menu anyhow (it may be somewhere else but given my hesitation, I haven't looked!) I wound up in the 'wrong' forum simply because I had such good success with your suggestion about exporting/importing between the SD card and the phone.

I kinda miss the seamlessness of Sprint Wireless Backup on my Lotus, and the immediate text messages confirming that they had backed up each little change I made...and then I couldn't use it with my new phone anyhow. Google contacts doesn't tell you what state the contact's phone number indicates, either...one step forward, two steps backward...

Journeyman

when creating a new contact from your phone it should give you the option to save it as an android contact, Exchange Contact (if configured), or as google(gmail) contact.  i always pick "google contact" and when i resync it has shown up from my pc under "google contacts".

Journeyman

The tip about deleting my contact data on the phone and re-syncing fixed my Contact Sync problem.  I exported contacts to a backup csv file on gmail before doing this.  Contacts must get corrupted or something, it took a few minutes to re-sync but all seems to be working fine now.  Did you know - you can use Google Goggles to take a photo of a business card and it does a decent job of letting you create a contact from the card!

Journeyman

Install Google Voice from the market and set it up - wala! DONE.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.