Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I...

Journeyman

How do I...

Hey gang, I've had my Hero since Oct 22nd and I still can't figure out...

1) on the HTC People widget, how do you customize the order people show up.  Mine only sorts by alpha, but it would be nice to be able to put my wife 1st in the list (or last depending on the day)

2) How do you rename icons on the home screen(s) so they can say something other than "mail" or "messages"?

3) Any idea on the album art?  I've transferred music, but I can't seem to get it to show the album art even though on my windows PC and my HTC touch with WM 6.1 they show up fine.

I really like this phone, but man I've had a heck of a time figuring some of this stuff out.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

1) I may be wrong, but I don't think we have this option, I have also tried, but I may have missed something, so I also look forward to hearing if there is a way.

2)I am pretty sure the only thing you can rename (although you probably can if you root your phone) is folders that you create. again I could be and probably am wrong here as well

3) there is a thread a couple pages back on this subject, I will be doing this as soon as I find the time to go through all of my music, then take it back off the Hero and reload my MSD card...

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/24133?tstart=60

Journeyman
Journeyman

RE: #2

In the Market, you can get an app called "Any Cut" that will allow you to change the icon name. There's also a paid version "Better Cut" that,as I understand it, does that and more.

It's been my experience with the free version that there are a few apps/widgets that don't play well after the icon has been renamed (The Weather Channel/Voice Recorder/Places Directory are one's I know of...) The icon will dissappear from the home screen, or act funky, but doesn't appear to harm the phone or app.  As I understand it the icon name is embedded in the app/widget code (.apx) file, so that may explain why some programs run into problems having the name changed.

That said, it seems works well and can cleanup text names that don't fit in the space given

Journeyman

well, an ancient hack for alphabetic-only sorting is to change the names by hand...  (ie aaa_wife, zzz_boss)  i have not seen any other solution yet - but i only keep about 5 folks in my preferred-list so i havent worried about it...

i thought the album-art jpegs, just need to go into the album-art folder on the sdcard...  they (the artworks) dont seem to have names that match the albums, so i have no idea how they go together yet...  will check the thread - thx.

also, thanx for the clue about that icon-renaming thing...  i -have- gotten some sorting done by using 'shortcuts' and then renaming those...

Journeyman

Just wanted to bump this and see if anyone can answer #1.

In the HTC people widget, is there a way to customize the order people are placed.  The default is by alpha, but I'd like to put people in a specific order.

Journeyman

The answer for #1 is "you can't."

The answer for #3 is "use tags." Windows Media Player and, consequently, your HTC Touch, read album art as JPGs in the album folders, which is honestly a pretty crappy way of doing it. The Music app on your Hero reads the album art properly - from the tag. Download a program like MP3tag to properly tag your music with album art.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat