cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is typing on the Hero? Performance?

Highlighted
Patron

How is typing on the Hero? Performance?

I upgraded to a blackberry 8530 because my 8330 worked very well for what I needed (messaging, light web use, GPS) almost 30 days ago, but I can't get the Hero out of my mind.  I got the 8530 for a ridiculously cheap price of 30 bucks due to a best buy error and money is definitely a concern, but I dream of the web experience on the Hero.  I have no experience with touch screens and despite it feeling cramped sometimes, I type very fast on the physical QWERTY keyboard of the blackberry and as a writer, I'm often writing notes on my blackberry so ease of typing is a must.  So for owners, I ask this...

How is typing on the Hero?  Do you really get used to it?

How's the response time?  I've read about lagging and realistically, the device seems to only have a little more memory than my curve and yet it's expected to do so much more.

Advice?

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: How is typing on the Hero? Performance?

You need a lot of patience to type with a Hero.  It's very easy to hit "O" instead of "I", "M" instead of "N", and backspace instead of "M".  There's also some lagging, but it doesn't happen all the time.  An on-screen keyboard just doesn't feel like real keys.  That being said, I have been getting better in the 6 weeks I've had the Hero.  Of course, I'm really sold on the other features though ...

Highlighted
Patron

Thank you for your response!  I make typos on my blackberry, even after being a user for almost two years now, but I'm just used to it enough to correct myself just as quickly as I type.  Where do you notice the lagging the most?  Have you used sprint navigation on it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Off of the top of my head I cannot describe where it is, but the calibrate function does help with this.  The caveat is, if you have gotten used to doing it without calibrating it, it will be a little "off" after you do so.  At least it was for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I admit that I'm getting used to checking for typos right away when I use the right side of the keyboard.  I've heard from others that it's a good idea to re-boot once a day; I think lagging happens more the longer I use it, so it could be a memory issue.  As for Sprint Navigation, yes I use it.  It's very cool to put in in the silicone sleeve and lay it on the dashboard.  It's better than a Garmin: it checks for traffic issues ahead while you're driving.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To find the calibration tool, go to:

settings

locale & text

touch input

text input

calibration tool.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll let you know if it's easier once I use it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I calibrated and I think it works a little better.  I forgot to mention that you can have the phone vibrate every time you hit a letter (or more to the point, every time the phone registers that you've hit a letter).  No vibration, no entry.  That helps a lot.  (There's supposed to be another option to emit a sound, but I haven't been able to get that to work.)   So, I guess my final answer is that typing is OK on the Hero, if you've accustomed to typos.

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks again.  Do you think you type a lot or mostly to put in web site addresses and quick messages?  Do you get alerted with every email you receive?  I remember reading that the Hero has push email for gmail.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't type a lot, just web addresses and Google searches.  Since I don't have an E-mail client turned on, I only access E-mail through the browser (webmail).  That's totally different from a Blackberry.

By the way, if you're interested in texting on the Hero, you'll want to look at the posts with the title Re: htc  hero text/chat problem.  In particular, post 13 gives an HTC answer to a problem that Sprint wasn't able to fix.

Message was edited by: chubev

Highlighted

Definitely calibrate (may need to do it a couple of times) because that does improve the typing. Use landscape rather than portrait orientation as the keyboard is more spread out. I really have not noticed that much of a lag in typing. I do have 2 email clients on my Hero (Comcast and Gmail) - I don't remember why but I did move my Gmail to the Exchange ActiveSync. It is nice to have calendar/contacts up to date but a warning about Gmail and contacts (you get a lot of extra contacts because of gmail's adding but you can go into the gmail account on PC and delete them). If you go to google help/forums, there are suggestions on how to manage your contacts for the Hero. You can set the sync time for your email - probably should do it no sooner than one hour - you can always go into your email and do a refresh which will pull your emails in if you want to do it sooner than your default setting (this saves battery). I like both Sprint Nav and Google - you need to set your location for GPS (it does take battery). The 2.1 upgrade should be soon so that it will improve things. Good luck - love the Hero

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks so much for your response and all your advice, conradmr1.  Do you type a lot on your Hero?  So then push email is not available?  I love how my blackberry alerts me immediately when I have an email. I hardly ever check my email on the computer anymore.  Is there any word on what the os upgrade will improve?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just tried to calibrate in landscape.  The calibrate tool disappears as soon as the phone is turned sideways.  I've scrolled all the way down.  If I return it to the upright position, the option reappears.  Once I touch the calibration tool, the display no longer switches to landscape.  Anyway, the calibration is pretty good already.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat