cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am returning my Hero to see what happens with new phones in January

Journeyman

I am returning my Hero to see what happens with new phones in January

Hero is going back.  I am tired of the sluggish nature of the phone.  I've done everything I can think of, including rooting it and applying the fresh rom so many people seem to be so happy with.

It doesn't make a difference in performance.  We need to face facts, this device is severly underpowered.

Yesterday I thought I was going to keep the phone, but then by the grace of god I randomly found some information on the HTC Passion... I wasn't even looking for it, but there it was.

It is a hybrid, one of the first.  Here are the specs:

• 1GHz Snapdragon processor
  • WCDMA/HSPA: 900/2100 MHz; GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • Android 2.0 (likely 2.1 at launch)
  • 3.7-inch WVGA AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
  • 1400 mAh Battery
  • 5 megapixel auto-focus camera w/ flash
  • 512MB flash; 320MB RAM
  • Other: microSD, WLAN, Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR, GPS/aGPS, G-Sensor, Digital compass, FM Radio, microUSB, 3.5mm headphone jack

At a glance it looks exactly like the phone that I, and many of you, are waiting for.  But there is no confirmation that it will end up on Sprint, and, as a hybrid it could end up on any of the service providers.  I worry that Sprint will not get this phone, but lets be honest, they need it.  They really do not have a phone that competes with the iPhone or the Droid.  This phone does (no pun intended).

Then I ran across this article:

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2009/10/30/sprint-reveals-2010-smartphone-lineup-android-blackberry-windows-mobile-wimax-phones-mentioned-app-store-in-the-works/

And it gave me hope.  In it it states:

Sprint intends to launch plenty of Android and BlackBerry phones next year although we don’t have any names yet. Future BlackBerry handsets will all come with Wi-Fi enabled while Android phones will come most likely from HTC. Current Android smartphones, the HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment, will be updated to Android 2.0 and the most interesting future Android phone will be a GSM/CDMA hybrid.

See the end there?

It gives me hope.  This phone, on whatever carrier it lands on, will be released in January.

Message was edited by: clayton

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: I am returning my Hero to see what happens with new phones in January

Take that with a grain of salt. For one thing, the site that site links to quotes this:

Combination CDMA/GSM Android phones are also "a possibility but nothing this year."

I don't know how the blog writer turned that into a statement implying that there definitely will be one, but no one has said that.

For another, the Bravo/Passion, assuming it comes to Sprint, probably won't do so until the later half of the year.

Anyway the chat where all this info came from happened back in October. It contained pretty much no useful information about future releases.

Journeyman

I heard somewhere it's intended for Verizon and T-Mobile.

Journeyman

I returned my Samsung Moment because it had a lot of issues, the Airplane Mode and the crippled aGPS were the most annoying, and there was no solid word or commitment of a fix or update.  I too am hoping Sprint gets the Passion/Bravo, if not I'll just wait it out another year till my contract ends.  I still like my BB Curve but I'm getting one of the awesome super phones,  I'll jump ship in a heartbeat and go get the Passion/Bravo somewhere else.  By then any bugs that might show up should be noted and fixed by the time my contract ends.

Wizard

You are right, the article does not provide any indication of 2010 Sprint phones.

Just like the chat, it was a waist of time.

I wish Sprint can be a little smart by leaking the 2010 phones to give hope to most of us.

Journeyman

Hey all,

Sorry to burst your bubble. But WCDMA is NOT CDMA.  The specs on this phone basically tell me is a 3G GSM phone. Unless there is a CDMA w/ EV-DO in there that I missed. 😕

Michael

Journeyman

Somewhere along the way I read that Sprint would get the PassionC.  Who knows, sure is frustrating that Sprint is keeping such a tight lid on anything new coming out.

Journeyman

Well, thanks for the info but I'm keeping the Hero for now.

If the Passion/Bravo comes to Sprint at the last part of next year it will be right about the time I am eligible for a discount. Gives me time to start saving up now.

Journeyman

Good luck with that, Sprint is always waaaaaaaaaaay behind the curve. 

You could always sell your hero on e-bay for funds to get the new one, just a thought.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do have to hand it to Verizon, they issued an ump-teen page document describing and acknowledging pretty much every "known bug" with the Moto Droid, AND a target date for a software release to correct the problem.  Interestingly they beat that first target date by a few days with the Android 2.0.1 release.

It would do Sprint good to stand-up, grow a couple of appendages and make a few commitments.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat