cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IM app RAM suck

Highlighted
Wizard

IM app RAM suck

Will and Sarah, please pass this on to the higher ups.....I know this has been reported all over the place for the Sprint Bloatware, but I wanted to add another post to the fire. Why are these apps coded so poorly?  Who made these apps?  Should we be contacting HTC about this or did Sprint dev make this app?  We should be allowed to know who to direct our feedback and testing to.  All other apps in the Market have email addresses we can send feedback to, you should add this to your apps!

Sprint please allow us to remove the IM application that you have built into our HTC Heroes.  Currently there are 3 packages for this single application and they all are consuming 7-12MB of RAM....EACH!  This is a serious problem to battery life and I don't want this application.  I only use Google Chat.  And I have never opened the IM app at all, and it doesn't make sense as to why it keeps opening itself up and why there are 3 packages?

Can others confirm that this is true on your phones?

I know that I can root and believe me I will be rooting once we have v2.1.  But as a policy, Sprint should allow us to remove applications like this, Messages, Nascar, etc.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: IM app RAM suck

mmark27 wrote:

Will and Sarah, please pass this on to the higher ups.....I know this has been reported all over the place for the Sprint Bloatware, but I wanted to add another post to the fire. Why are these apps coded so poorly?  Who made these apps?  Should we be contacting HTC about this or did Sprint dev make this app?  We should be allowed to know who to direct our feedback and testing to.  All other apps in the Market have email addresses we can send feedback to, you should add this to your apps!

Sprint please allow us to remove the IM application that you have built into our HTC Heroes.  Currently there are 3 packages for this single application and they all are consuming 7-12MB of RAM....EACH!  This is a serious problem to battery life and I don't want this application.  I only use Google Chat.  And I have never opened the IM app at all, and it doesn't make sense as to why it keeps opening itself up and why there are 3 packages?

Can others confirm that this is true on your phones?

I know that I can root and believe me I will be rooting once we have v2.1.  But as a policy, Sprint should allow us to remove applications like this, Messages, Nascar, etc.

My guess is, the 3 packages is a package each for AIM, MSN and Yahoo.

I agree it is ridiculous that they consume so much RAM when never even been opened. I'm in the same boat. the gtalk app seems fine when closed. These three are memory and battery drains...

Wizard

Will England, Sarah KS any comment here?

Ah yes, jturnbow that makes sense. Having never opened it, I have no idea that it supports 3 IM clients.

I think more what I want to know is WHO made this application (and the others) and how can we get ahold of those that developed it.  Clearly this forum doesn't make it to the right people because they never get fixed (except the NFL mobile app partially and that took over a month).  If I send an email to the Handcent maker, I get an email back nearly instantly.  Then they even offers to google chat with me to remedy the problem, then boom another update is posted for all to get.  Is that so hard to give us access to whoever made these apps??????  If you are going to waste your time coding apps, you better be able to support them, or give me the option to delete them and offer the feedback when I delete it that this "app was defective".

Hopefully carrier specific app stores (or sections) will allow us to dump this wretched apps without rooting.  Why not just have the .apk(s) on the Sprint digital lounge? Then have some sort of validation code to activate them?  That seems smarter.

Journeyman

I don't know who made the IM app, but I will say it looks VERY much like the same IM app on the Instinct. I shudder to think it could be the same clowns that worked on anything Instinct related. I hope that it is just a coincidence.

Also, it says "Android IM Client Version 1.1 alpha" at the bottom of the IM app home screen when you launch it.

So they feed us alpha software, which is fine, but not being able to remove it if it is screwy kind of sucks.

Journeyman

Yes it is the same craptastic app that was on the Instinct which has been retooled/recoded to work on Android. Pathetic to say the least.

Journeyman

troyboytn wrote:

Yes it is the same craptastic app that was on the Instinct which has been retooled/recoded to work on Android. Pathetic to say the least.

Really?

So the guys that were writing the software for the Instinct weren't fired? I thought economic times like these allowed companies to get rid of poor performers...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat