cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Sprint cant figure out Hero Why will EVO be different???

Highlighted
Journeyman

If Sprint cant figure out Hero Why will EVO be different???

I have loved the idea of the EVO ever since it was the supersonic. I have played with the tmobile hd2 several times and love the screen and speed of the phone. However, i have a big problem with the way Sprint has handled the Hero issues.

How can we be confident in the EVO when sprint has been working for months on fixing our Hero and still cant get it right? I know fanboys will say the EVO was built for 2.1 blah blah blah. That has zero to do with it. We have a phone already on the network that somewhat works and Sprint lacks the brain power to release 2.1 in a complete form yet they want people to get the EVO which has an even greater chance of having issues. Tech is like cars. Sure having computers control everything is nice. But it also causes more problems. Think of how many time the OBD2 check engine light has caused people to fail inspections. Point being that the evo has new technology like HiRes screen, 4G and 3G and 1x chips, 8mp camera, 720p video recording, hdmi out, ect. Sprint cant even figure out what hobist on XDA have figured out. How to get 2.1 on our Hero's. I still cant receive MMS. Its been 7 months.

The other theory is that Sprint is holding 2.1 back until EVO is released. Honestly neither theory makes me very happy. Which is it Sprint? You are either so incompetent that you cant figure out what Verizon and XDA members have figured out or you are holding it back on purpose.

Either way it is unacceptable and is the reason for many more of your customer to leave you.

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Journeyman

These are great replies.....I feel the same way about this damn phone.

I am so frustrated with software issues with this thing that I'm really leaning towards leaving Sprint and staying away from an and every HTC phone.

IPhone here I come.

Highlighted
Journeyman

jonnythan518 wrote: The very first 2.x update for a Hero or Hero-like device came out... what, yesterday? There is no 2.x update available for any Hero anywhere in the world on any carrier. Seems pretty straightforward.

LOL. In other words, you are engaged in exactly the sort of pure speculation that you constantly attack others for. Hilarious. And goalpost moving is a perfect description for such tired and increasingly irrational devotion to a phone service provider being abandoned by its more rational customers in record numbers. So I ask you again. Where. Is. The Evidence. Of. Your. Assertion. That. HTC. Is. Responsible??? Hint: your personal opinion and things that you think are obvious or straightforward do not constitute evidence. Don't worry, I won't be holding my breath waiting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

peteracdm wrote:

Its not about the update to 1.6 or 2.1  or 2.2,  jonnythan518

To me is about the all the bugs and issues, peeling buttons, that came with the Sprint HTC Hero and are still with this phone after 6+months

No thanks to Sprint and HTC.

So tell please jonnythan why would it be different this time ???

I never said it would be different. The bugs are not Sprint's fault, they are HTC's. Those bugs are mostly common to the CDMA Hero and Eris, and many are common to the international GSM Hero as well.

That's why I said if you don't like HTC's QA or support, buy from a different manufacturer. The unfortunate part is that none of the others seem to do any better. Here's hoping Dell comes through.

Highlighted
Journeyman

rlkelley192 wrote:

Seriously, with the upgrade to the Eris, the onus now lies on the Sprint defenders to prove to those of us decrying Sprint's actions in this that Sprint is not the hold up.

Message was edited by: rlkelley192

I agree completely with that. Where we differ is that I think giving them more than an hour after Verizon's release is reasonable.

I am of the opinion that anything within a week or two is reasonable. After that I will start getting upset. But not before.

Highlighted
Journeyman

JeffCO wrote:

jonnythan518 wrote: The very first 2.x update for a Hero or Hero-like device came out... what, yesterday? There is no 2.x update available for any Hero anywhere in the world on any carrier. Seems pretty straightforward.

LOL. In other words, you are engaged in exactly the sort of pure speculation that you constantly attack others for. Hilarious. And goalpost moving is a perfect description for such tired and increasingly irrational devotion to a phone service provider being abandoned by its more rational customers in record numbers. So I ask you again. Where. Is. The Evidence. Of. Your. Assertion. That. HTC. Is. Responsible??? Hint: your personal opinion and things that you think are obvious or straightforward do not constitute evidence. Don't worry, I won't be holding my breath waiting.

If Sprint has been the holdup before this week, how come no other Hero or Eris device on the entire planet received an update before this week?

Journeyman

Now it is no other device before this week.  Please. The Eris was updated.  The Hero was not.  Sprint failed at updating the OS. It is in Sprints hands not HTC'c otherwise the Eris would still be waiting too.  They are the same phone in a different case.

Stop mving the goal posts you are not getting anywhere.  Sprint failed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

jonnythan518 wrote: If Sprint has been the holdup before this week, how come no other Hero or Eris device on the entire planet received an update before this week?

Stop it, yer cracking me up! In response to repeated requests for any evidence to back up your wild assertions, you continue only to offer your personal opinion and complete speculation as though it were some sort of fact. Which of course means you both have no such evidence and also are too hypocritical to stop doing the very thing you criticize others for doing. Laughable.

Just admit you have no evidence at all that HTC is delaying Sprint's providing us with both bug fixes and the 2.1 update and move on. Because your opinion on the matter is worth exactly as much as everyone else's. Less, actually, since you appear to be unable to evaluate Sprint's abysmal handling of the Hero in anything resembling an objective way. But since you're the master logician, explain why Sprint, taking a massive beating over their unexplained failures to communicate with or deliver to its customers, both here and on the tech sites, still has not released an official statement that attributes the cause of their ongoing failure to HTC. Seriously, if Sprint is not at fault don't you think they would be shouting it from the rooftops and shifting the blame onto HTC where you allege it belongs? And yet they have not. Explain that, goalpoaster.

Highlighted
Journeyman

rlkelley192 wrote:

Now it is no other device before this week.  Please. The Eris was updated.  The Hero was not.  Sprint failed at updating the OS. It is in Sprints hands not HTC'c otherwise the Eris would still be waiting too.  They are the same phone in a different case.

Stop mving the goal posts you are not getting anywhere.  Sprint failed.

It is no other device before this week. That's a simple fact.

Sprint didn't fail just because Verizon was first. It's not a zero-sum game. If Sprint gets us updated by next weekend, everyone will have succeeded.

This isn't the Olympics. Just because one team wins doesn't mean another automatically loses.


Failure would be if we don't get an update for another month or more. Or ever. That would be serious, epic failure.

Getting an update a week after another carrier as "failure"? No, that simply doesn't make any sense.

Highlighted
Journeyman

JeffCO wrote:

jonnythan518 wrote: If Sprint has been the holdup before this week, how come no other Hero or Eris device on the entire planet received an update before this week?

Stop it, yer cracking me up! In response to repeated requests for any evidence to back up your wild assertions, you continue only to offer your personal opinion and complete speculation as though it were some sort of fact. Which of course means you both have no such evidence and also are too hypocritical to stop doing the very thing you criticize others for doing. Laughable.

Just admit you have no evidence at all that HTC is delaying Sprint's providing us with both bug fixes and the 2.1 update and move on. Because your opinion on the matter is worth exactly as much as everyone else's. Less, actually, since you appear to be unable to evaluate Sprint's abysmal handling of the Hero in anything resembling an objective way. But since you're the master logician, explain why Sprint, taking a massive beating over their unexplained failures to communicate with or deliver to its customers, both here and on the tech sites, still has not released an official statement that attributes the cause of their ongoing failure to HTC. Seriously, if Sprint is not at fault don't you think they would be shouting it from the rooftops and shifting the blame onto HTC where you allege it belongs? And yet they have not. Explain that, goalpoaster.

Why would Sprint throw their most important handset manufacturer under the bus over a delayed update?

Come on, guys. Use your heads.

Highlighted
Journeyman

jonnythan518 wrote:

Why would Sprint throw their most important handset manufacturer under the bus over a delayed update?

Come on, guys. Use your heads.

Ah, so you still can't admit you're simply making up a story and selling it to everyone as though it were fact. Gone from funny to sad. Here are two facts you will be unable to appreciate but I'll give them to you for free anyway:

1) Corporations, e.g., Sprint, are not "rational actors" in the same sense a person might be, and their decisions are often not those an individual would make in the same situation. In particular, their decisions are often short-sighted and indeed harm the long-term viability of the company. So, for example, it is entirely believable that Sprint would choose to alienate a portion of its user base (Hero users) by delaying a promised update (or diverting resources away from its completion, etc.) if say sales and marketing teams decide they can make more money from Evo buyers than they will lose in disgruntled Hero owners. That you think such decisions are irrational and therefore unlikely simply reveals you to be naive.

2) You are not the grand arbiter of what is rational and logical and sensible, nor have you been elected Pope of the Internets. Someone reaching a different conclusion than you based on the same set of information does not automatically mean they are wrong, or not rational, or not using their heads, or not that smart, etc. no matter how strongly you feel you are correct. Believe it or not, other people can have experiences and perspectives that are different from your own and yet are nevertheless 100% valid. Shocking, I know,  but true.

I'm frankly kind of surprised given that most of your responses consist of wild speculation paired with insulting other posters' intelligence and asserting your own superiority that you haven't been banned yet. I guess maybe it's different when you're doing so in defense of the company against any and all critics.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ rlkelly.....

"Now it is no other device before  this week.  Please. The Eris was updated.  The Hero was not.  Sprint  failed at updating the OS. It is in Sprints hands not HTC'c otherwise  the Eris would still be waiting too.  They are the same phone in a  different case.

Stop  mving the goal posts you are not getting anywhere.  Sprint failed."

sprint has not failed, i can asure you the eclair update is ready and waiting. but you have to think them releasing it as a business. what is sprint in the game for i ask? .... to make money.

if sprint waits to release the firmware after the evo is released, sprint will get more sales on the evo, because they know some owners will out buy(or use their upgrade) just to get android 2.1. why would they kick them selfs while they are down and release it before the evo? why would they giv up money. i have been workign as a tech for them for over 7 years, and i know that this is how they role. i can almost asure you that the update will follow the evo release.

Verizon released their becasue they have no update to theirs comming out in the near future, so they want to make their custoemrs happy, but if verizon were in the same boat as sprint(with their first 4 g device comming out) they would happily do the same despite what their customers wanted.

so my advice to you is to suck it up and wait. wait for the update, or wait for the evo.

mind you the evo will kick the heros ass in many ways!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG (an me using OMG is amazing because I hate these modern acronyms) there are not enough stars for me to rate your post...eloquent...nominated for "Best Nice/nasty set 'em straight response of the year". If that poster has something to say in response to that I can only hope for the sake of his "poster dignity" he makes it real good and respond to each point with surgical precision...who am I kidding, the pattern has been revealed. I'll be following this as it develops or not. Again great post.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat