cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Sprint cant figure out Hero Why will EVO be different???

Journeyman

If Sprint cant figure out Hero Why will EVO be different???

I have loved the idea of the EVO ever since it was the supersonic. I have played with the tmobile hd2 several times and love the screen and speed of the phone. However, i have a big problem with the way Sprint has handled the Hero issues.

How can we be confident in the EVO when sprint has been working for months on fixing our Hero and still cant get it right? I know fanboys will say the EVO was built for 2.1 blah blah blah. That has zero to do with it. We have a phone already on the network that somewhat works and Sprint lacks the brain power to release 2.1 in a complete form yet they want people to get the EVO which has an even greater chance of having issues. Tech is like cars. Sure having computers control everything is nice. But it also causes more problems. Think of how many time the OBD2 check engine light has caused people to fail inspections. Point being that the evo has new technology like HiRes screen, 4G and 3G and 1x chips, 8mp camera, 720p video recording, hdmi out, ect. Sprint cant even figure out what hobist on XDA have figured out. How to get 2.1 on our Hero's. I still cant receive MMS. Its been 7 months.

The other theory is that Sprint is holding 2.1 back until EVO is released. Honestly neither theory makes me very happy. Which is it Sprint? You are either so incompetent that you cant figure out what Verizon and XDA members have figured out or you are holding it back on purpose.

Either way it is unacceptable and is the reason for many more of your customer to leave you.

31 REPLIES 31
Journeyman

Re: If Sprint cant figure out Hero Why will EVO be different???

Sprint isn't holding anything back.

HTC hasn't released an update for the international Hero yet. The Eris is getting the update slowly rolled out.

Sprint hasn't done anything wrong here. We don't even know whether HTC is done with 2.1 for the Hero yet.

The guys at XDA haven't figured out anything the guys at HTC and Sprint haven't figured out - remember, all those ROMs you see for download at XDA are slight modifications of the 2.1 ROM they got from Sprint.

If you don't want the Evo, don't get the Evo. If you don't think HTC is up to your standards supporting their phones, then don't buy an HTC device. The months-long "delays" have nothing to do with Sprint - it's HTC.

Journeyman

jonnythan518 wrote:

Sprint isn't holding anything back.

HTC hasn't released an update for the international Hero yet. The Eris is getting the update slowly rolled out.

Sprint hasn't done anything wrong here. We don't even know whether HTC is done with 2.1 for the Hero yet.

The guys at XDA haven't figured out anything the guys at HTC and Sprint haven't figured out - remember, all those ROMs you see for download at XDA are slight modifications of the 2.1 ROM they got from Sprint.

If you don't want the Evo, don't get the Evo. If you don't think HTC is up to your standards supporting their phones, then don't buy an HTC device. The months-long "delays" have nothing to do with Sprint - it's HTC.

If I had a dime for every time you defended Sprint I could purchase a new EVO.

Journeyman

Well Jonnythan518 the thing is the HTC EVO looks a great phone, but its running Android 2.1, how long do you think it might take for Sprint & HTC to update to 2.2 ! as this is coming this summer. Because i for one will not go out and buy this phone not knowing th at, and knowing how the Sprint HTC Hero update has gone.

How long after the 2.1 EVO comes out followed by Android 2.2 os will HTC bring their next great Android phone out...

Message was edited by: peteracdm

Journeyman

How is it that you know sprint isnt holding anything back? Seriously How do you know?

Who asked about an international Hero? try to stay on topic.

The Eris has the update. Sorry that makes your old points less valid. Your still sore over that one.

If i dont want the EVO dont get the EVO? Really. Well thank you for stating the obvious. Man for a minute there i thought i had to get it. Whew you just relieved so much of my stress. I cant thank you enough.

And in the future try to stay on topic. I asked why should we think the EVO will be any different since neither HTC or SPRINT have done a good job with the hero. If you dont have a compelling answer to that question then just skip the post. If you want to respond then try answering the question. Otherwise you dont have to answer. (you see. stating the obvious can go both ways)

Journeyman

tmaxey1 wrote:

And in the future try to stay on topic. I asked why should we think the EVO will be any different since neither HTC or SPRINT have done a good job with the hero. If you dont have a compelling answer to that question then just skip the post. If you want to respond then try answering the question. Otherwise you dont have to answer. (you see. stating the obvious can go both ways)

The letters "HTC" don't appear in the original post.

Just sayin'.

Anyway, the point is that there's no indication that Sprint is holding anything back - the delay we have experienced thus far appears solely attributable to HTC. However, there's no reason to think any handset manufacturer would be any better, since no handset manufacturer has provided a higher level of service for their devices than HTC.

Yes, HTC might suck at getting updates out quickly, but what alternative is there?

Journeyman

There is zero chance I would advise anyone to choose Sprint and HTCs new toy without waiting at least 6 months to see 1) what the bugs are and 2) what their policy is going to be on fixing them. After the debacle with the Hero and its wide array of bugs (experienced by nearly everyone apparently but devoted fanbois) and Sprint's decision to release exactly one MR and then promise all other known bugs will be addressed in some future major OS upgrade that we're all still waiting for six months later, Sprint has no credibility left with me. And unless Sprint gave me a written contract that guaranteed they would update to 2.2 and that they would do it within X weeks of its release or start paying me a penalty for every week over schedule they went I would assume that whatever the phone comes with is all it's ever going to get.

I mean, really, Sprint can't even pull off a website upgrade without crashing for a week. And based on my ongoing experience, they still can't figure out how to keep the website up - how many times have all of you been redirected to that lame hardhat page? I was struck today by this metaphor:

http://support.sprint.com/support

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Pretty much says it all about Sprint's "committment to customer support" as far as I'm concerned.

Journeyman

jonnythan518 wrote: Anyway, the point is that there's no indication that Sprint is holding anything back - the delay we have experienced thus far appears solely attributable to HTC. However, there's no reason to think any handset manufacturer would be any better, since no handset manufacturer has provided a higher level of service for their devices than HTC.

Yes, HTC might suck at getting updates out quickly, but what alternative is there?

Where is your evidence for this assertion? You said on another thread you are the self-appointed defender of logic and truth, guardian of the internet phone forums against all who would dare criticize mighty Sprint based on speculation and rumor. Yet here you are spreading rumors. Show me the official Sprint statement that attributes our ongoing wait to HTC. Show me any HTC announcement that says they are keeping Sprint waiting. You can't because they don't exist, and that is solid truth you cannot deny.

Journeyman

JeffCO wrote:

jonnythan518 wrote: Anyway, the point is that there's no indication that Sprint is holding anything back - the delay we have experienced thus far appears solely attributable to HTC. However, there's no reason to think any handset manufacturer would be any better, since no handset manufacturer has provided a higher level of service for their devices than HTC.

Where is your evidence for this assertion? You said on another thread you are the self-appointed defender of logic and truth, guardian of the internet phone forums against all who would dare criticize mighty Sprint based on speculation and rumor. Yet here you are spreading rumors. Show me the official Sprint statement that attributes our ongoing wait to HTC. Show me any HTC announcement that says they are keeping Sprint waiting. You can't because they don't exist, and that is solid truth you cannot deny.

The very first 2.x update for a Hero or Hero-like device came out... what, yesterday? There is no 2.x update available for any Hero anywhere in the world on any carrier.

Seems pretty straightforward.

Journeyman

jonnythan518 wrote:

there's no reason to think any handset manufacturer would be any better, since no handset manufacturer has provided a higher level of service for their devices than HTC.

I would argue that Apple is in fact better...much better.

That would be why iPhone users are climbing all over themselves to "stay" rather than jump on the next whatever phone that drops. And that's with 4 out of 5 calls not going through.

But when you refer to all other manufacturers I suppose junk service is standard. That is also why every few months phone X is "the" iPhone killer, only to be not heard of again after a couple months because the new and improved phone Y is the new one...ad nauseam.

It's not the phone people, there are many technically better phones out there, it's the service, support and polish.

HTC will be p*ssing in the wind and in our faces until they learn that, or are taught that by us. No support, no more money from me.

Message was edited by: jturnbowtoo

Journeyman

Its not about the update to 1.6 or 2.1  or 2.2,  jonnythan518

To me is about the all the bugs and issues, peeling buttons, that came with the Sprint HTC Hero and are still with this phone after 6+months

No thanks to Sprint and HTC.

So tell please jonnythan why would it be different this time ???

Journeyman

HTC has released an updat for the Eris though.  Lets not forget that. I love to watch you move those goal posts though.

Seriously, with the upgrade to the Eris, the onus now lies on the Sprint defenders to prove to those of us decrying Sprint's actions in this that Sprint is not the hold up.

Message was edited by: rlkelley192

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat