cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your Hero is slow...

Highlighted
Journeyman

If your Hero is slow...

Hope it's ok that I post this. I feel that everyone should know about the options that are available to them. If you're not afraid and/or lazy then here you go...

There are 5 things you can do and you'll love your Hero all over again. The Droid pales in comparison (with the exception of Android 2.0 of course, though there isn't much difference IMO)

Root your phone. Most important thing. (Otherwise you're stuck with the phone the way it is and you're at the mercy of the suits "doing something" about it. Please hold your breathe)

Install Freshrom 0.6:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=584032

Install the optimazation package to fix the apps. (Should have been done in the first place, and will never understand why it wasn't done by HTC)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=588597

Install Spare Parts from the Android Market (Gives access to a few features of Android 1.5 that aren't visible by default)

Thank the people that made this possible.

After having completing the above tasks, you'll find quicker animations, faster loading from all apps, and general snappiness that wasn't there before. And yes, thanking the people that made these things possible will make your phone better. I promise.

If you don't know what do or how to do this there are plenty of easy to follow tuts that will walk you through it step by step.

Message was edited by: VoXPCS

Message was edited by: VoXPCS

46 REPLIES 46
Highlighted
Journeyman

Seems that nobody has answered the very basic question: If I root my Hero and throw on Fresh or another custom ROM, and Sprint releases Android 2.0, can I "unroot" the phone back to factory settings and upgrade to 2.0? I realize I can download a new firmware OTA if they release it, but would my phone stay rooted, or would the new firmware bring it back to its original, unrooted state.

FWIW, I rooted mine yesterday to see what the hubub was about... it's mildly snappier with Fresh 0.6 and the optimized apps, nothing heart-stopping. I always had my task manager at hand to kill uneeded apps though, so my Hero was already pretty fast.

Highlighted
Journeyman

your basic question is 'can i unroot?', the basic answer is -yes-.  since youve already gone and rooted your phone, then why not try the signed-release-file that was referenced and prove it to yourself ?  duh...  (sorry to be sarcastic, but geez...)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Whenever you want you can uroot your phone by flashing back to the stock rom. Once android 2.0 comes or any other sprint updates it breaks root again. No big deal.

But for your phone it'll only be "mildly" rooted.

Highlighted
Journeyman

bkfist, thank you very much for the informative post. After reading it I think I will go ahead and keep the phone rooted, even though I don't plan on doing much past the stock ROM anyway, at least I'll have the option to play. That's what I was assuming, that I would need to do something extra to go back to stock (other than getting the original ROM). I'll keep that .exe file handy just in case.

Message was edited by: Daveydave

Highlighted
Journeyman

For those of you that want to try this and are afraid... I can tell you firsthand that there is little chance that you will brick your phone.  It took me 48 hours to get this to work for me (I don't know much about such things and obviously made a few mistakes).  I never bricked my phone.

I was going to take the phone back to Sprint today due to missed calls... Now I am thinking I'll wait a few more days and see how it goes.  The phone is much faster, MUCH less laggy, and in general seems much snappier.  If this also fixes the ring lag, I would be incredibly happy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

how long is "a while" after the reboot?  i did the reboot recover command and it started the reboot but has been on the HTC logo screen now for about 15-20 minutes or so now.  i never thought it would take this long

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hard to say... more than 5, less than 10 maybe?  I certainly wouldn't say 20 mins though. 

Did you have any luck?  If you're stuck and it load, some of the people on the other forums suggest re-downloading and re-flashing the ROM and that usually seems to help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i actually gave it up around the 45 minutes mark and pulled the battery out, it was obviously frozen.  was glad to see it actually start up and not bricked.

following these directions, http://geekfor.me/faq/how-to-root-the-cdma-htc-sprint-hero/ , i got to step 10: "This is the last command (you may now close the cmd prompt) and will cause your phone to boot into recovery mode."...  so it never got into that recovery mode, the backup, or the actual flashing of the fresh rom...  so now i'm not exactly sure where to start again.  do i do the whole thing again, or start from step 9 to try and put it into recovery mode?  i'm not familiar with the commands used so i wouldn't know exactly what's going on in each step.

thanks for the follow-up

edit:  just out of curiosity, does the o.s. that i'm using while doing this matter?  using win 7...  would that be a factor in it?

Message was edited by: wookietv

Highlighted
Journeyman

I followed the same instructions and was successful (and I had no clue what I was doing).

Seems to me Step 1 - Step 8 just give you root access.  If you were able to get through that, then you should basically have 'admin' privileges (sp?) and be alright.  Go ahead and start over at Step 9, pushing the image, flashing, etc.  Or post over on xda-developers.com and see what they say.

Highlighted
Journeyman

yeah, i may have to ask over there...  i tried from step 9 again and same result...  reboots after putting in the “reboot recovery” command and then freezes on the first HTC logo, now going on 14 minutes, so i just pulled the battery again...

i wonder if there's a way to start all over from scratch?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any luck?

Might want to try re-downloading the .img file off the internet and give it a shot again.  Other than that I'm not sure what's going on (since I'm pretty much clueless with this stuff).

Highlighted
Journeyman

i tried it on an xp pc and it worked flawlessly...  must have been something with the win 7 driver or something...

thanks

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat