cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing apps kills the Sprint cell connectivity, borks Android kernel

Highlighted
Patron

Installing apps kills the Sprint cell connectivity, borks Android kernel

I am an Android n00b.  There, I've said it.  So I've been exploring the market on my new Hero, and I've installed a lot of apps.

Still, the Smart Monitor app tells me:

System RO: Available 16 MB of 170

User Cache RW: Available 127 MB of 130

User Data RW: Available 68 MB of 159

SD Card RW: Available 356 MB of 1883

Is 16Mb of System too little or a lot?

Well, right now, if I install other apps, it seems as though on reboot, the system comes up and:

1. It reports no cell connectivity (0 bars, actually bars with an x through them.)
  2. Many many processes die and need a force close

And the system acts pretty borked.

If I uninstall the last few apps, and reboot, the system recovers.  Reinstall the apps, bork, uninstall, works okay.

I don't know what I am seeing.  Is it just that I've reached the system limit?

If so, what are the ways I can fix this?

1. Uninstall apps I don't need
  2. Buy a phone with more available memory
  3. Wait till a root method becomes available and then get a firmware that moves apps to the SD Card
  4. Find an Android App (akin to a PalmOS launcher) that manages memory better?
  5. Collect underpants?

Is this an HTC problem, an Android problem, a problem I caused, or?  And what other forums might have more information?

Thank you,

Jerry

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Installing apps kills the Sprint cell connectivity, borks Android kernel

I don't know for sure, but I think system memory is reserved for the firmware. Don't worry about that because it can only be used to store the OS and its critical components. As for apps issues, try installing different apps. If the same thing happens with different apps, its probably a problem with too many apps trying to boot at once. Use a program like taskiller to see all the apps that are running right after you boot the phone. Then try to find in each apps settings options to turn off notifications or slow them down or something to that effect. Don't let too many apps load at once. Another thing to try if you get too desperate is to do a factory wipe. Make sure all your emails, contacts and other data is sufficiently backed up. If using Google or Exchange, all those things should already be backed up. You can reinstall your apps from the market by going to downloads and redownloading each one after your device has been reset. I think that covers the main problems. My G1 often had to have the firmware reset because of apps and random processes dying. Hero is much more reliable, but still runs Android 1.5, so it will still have bugs. It sounds like your main problem is too many processes trying to start at the same time. This will slow down all of your apps and processes including cell service. Hope this helps.

Patron

Thanks for your response and the helpful tips.  Yes, I am slightly n00b/confused over why 16Mb free in RO memory would be a problem....

And I am somewhat surprised that Android is so weak on task management, or in configuring what happens at boot time, or the UI at the very least, is weak in helping the user understand what is happening.

Journeyman

Mostly its due to lack of applications that access that data. I think 1.6 has a few tools that help. I know there is a new app that tells you battery usage of different processes. It takes some work to get used to Android's different systems, but after a little digging around, its usually easy to fix issues.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat