Did you mean: 

Intermittent Text Message Receiving

Highlighted
Journeyman

Intermittent Text Message Receiving

I am having a problem described here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3836

and here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=549386&highlight=text+message&page=1

My phone is a Sprint Hero.

Anybody have any ideas?

-AndyS-

Tags (1)
108 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Intermittent Text Message Receiving

i have been not getting some texts either.  ive missed several text messages.  anyone else???

Journeyman

I've been missing a TON of texts....  There was a six hour block yesterday (went to the broncos game), and today for about two hours.  Yesterday, I though it had something to do with the voice dialer, gmail, or messages....I had taskiller on and had killed all of those.  Not sure which one was possibly causing the problem.  I "assume" it has something to do with one of the killed apps, because when I reboot my phone I seem to receive texts again.

EXTREMELY frustrating.  Missed some very important texts (my sis has been having seizures...and i HAVE to receive her emergency texts) since i purchased the phone, and this is going to be a deal breaker if I can't figure out what's going on.

Anyone have any ideas which apps affect the receiving of a text?  Any solutions to this problem????

UPDATE:  Just went through and sent myself  texts from my yahoo messenger...went through my taskkiller and basically killed an app, sent a message, killed an app, send a message...all of my messages came through (obviously i didn't kill things like htc sense and whatnot, just the apps that i NORMALLY kill to conserve battery life).  So now I"m reeeeeeeeally starting to get worried

Message was edited by: bronconia

Journeyman

I too am having the same problem on both of my Heros now. It only seems to be happening during the day which is odd but I think that's just a coincidence. On Hero #1, it took going to the dialer, then ##LOCKCODE# (Lockcode is a unique "password" to each phone, must call sprint for this code) Tap "Edit" IMPORTANT! Write down your MSID and MDN before proceeding. Then change the MSID and MDN to something random but keep the same length. Ex. If your MSID/MDN is 5551234567 change them to 5551234568, Click your menu button, Tap "Commit Changes" and your phone will reboot. When it comes back up,  repeat the process putting the original lock code in. This worked for Hero #1 and immediately after doing this I received all the text test text message sprint tech support had sent to me. However I still have not received ANY of the original lost text messages.

Today Hero #2 wasnt recieving texts and after about 6hrs it magically started recieving texts. I'm suspicious that it might be an app I downloaded on both of the Heros to be causing this. I installed apps right away on Hero #1 and Hero #2 never had problems until the day after I installed a few apps on it. I am going to list the apps that Hero #1 and Hero #2 have in common and hopefully others that have the same problem can list theirs and we can narrow it down to which one is causing it(assuming an app is the culprit):

RingDroid

Barcode Scanner

AK Notepad

Shazam

Pandora Radio

Sprint has told me they are unsure what the problem is and are referring me to go to my local sprint store to have them run a diagnostic. I am sure a diagnostic will come up clean but I will humor them anyway.

Both Hero's have always been able to send texts just fine when this occurs. Its only on the recieving end. Sprint can see that the texts that were undeliverable but cannot determine why.

I really hope Sprint solves this issue quick. It's a huge killer for the phone, I need texting and will be taking both of them back if not resolved very soon.

UPDATE: Went to the Sprint Store to today. They told me they couldnt test the phone because I got it at best buy. They told me to just take it back to Best Buy and have them swap the phone. I explained to them Sprint CS informed me to come have it diagnosed, not swapped. Their diagnostic method was to just send my phone a couple of texts which at that point it was working (stopped recieving texts around noon today). So a complete waste of time. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Im not convinced its the Hardware seeing how both of my Hero's are doing the exact same thing.

Journeyman

mine was acting the same way the first day i got it .....i had RINGDROID installed ....uninstalled RINGDROID and now i get all my text right away no delay

Journeyman

702DROID wrote:

mine was acting the same way the first day i got it .....i had RINGDROID installed ....uninstalled RINGDROID and now i get all my text right away no delay

Why would ringdroid cause this? AFAIK it doesnt interact with anything that could cause lost or delayed text messages.

Journeyman

Stopped receiving text messages again today around noon. This time I was able to just reboot the phone and I was able to send and recieve texts again. However, I still do not recieve the orginal lost texts. Sprint informs me that the texts are saved on their servers for 72hrs and should still be delivered.

I don't think RingDroid is the problem. I used Task Manager to check if RingDroid or any of its processes were running when I stopped recieving texts and it wasnt. I've been reading the forum about other issues and came across one about some phones saying Rev. 0 and some saying Rev. A. It turns out this is a display "bug" on some phones. I am recieving Rev. A speeds though my phone does read as a Rev. 0. I am wondering if this is some how related to my text messaging issues. Here are my stats:

PRI: 1.68_003

PRL: 60654

Mobile Network Type: CDMA - EvDo rev. 0

Battery Cover does say "with Google"

There is obviously a difference in the phones, maybe its just software. From what I understand, those whos PRI reads "1.72_x" get "Rev. A" status. I've considered swapping my phone but theres not sure way of knowing if I would get a phone with a 1.72 PRI. If anyone else can post relevant info it would be greatly appreciated. I am getting no where with sprint tech support and hoping to narrow down the problem myself.

Journeyman

I picked my phone up Sunday and have sent and received many texts with no issue.  At least no issues I am aware of 

I'm curious if we are running into a network issues similar to what iPhone users are experiencing?  Since SMS messages are sent over cell tower control channels is it possible we are seeing some type of system failure, but not a phone failure?  SMS is a pretty old system/standard and I'm not sure how robust or routable it is.  I would guess if it couldn't send the message immediately, for whatever reason, the has a timeout period before it pushes the text again.  Is it even possible that it stops trying and only sends again after the phone is power cycled and re-associates itself with a tower sending a new, fresh "I'm here" message.

Fubie

Journeyman

At first I thought it was the network, but theres tons of people having the same issue all across the nation. On my instinct, if my phone was unreachable for what ever reason(off, out of service, etc.) my messages still got delivered and Sprint has confirmed that they do queue undelivered texts for 72hrs and will continue to push them until delivered. The only texts that I recieved after my phone "came back online" were the ones Sprint Tech Support sent me the first time I had the issue. I still have never recieved the 7 Sprint texts, 4 Verizon, and 2 AT&T texts that were undeliverable during that time my Hero was out.

Fubie, what are your PRL, PRI and Mobile Network Type read? and does your phone say "with Google" on the battery cover?

Journeyman

I do not have "with Google" on my cover.  A blank slate.

PRI 1.68_003

PRL 60654

EvDo rev. 0

I live about 250 miles from where I work so I've traveled across many cell towers today.  I haven't had any issues today around St. Louis.  I'll report if I see anything.

Fubie

Message was edited by: Fubie

Journeyman

Same PRL and PRI as me, except mine does say "with Google" on the battery cover.

Journeyman

Now I'm starting to get nervous.

MY prl is 60652

and, my mobile network state is "disconnected"

no google on the cover for me anywhere....

I posted in the other thread as well.

I did a factory data reset, and haven't had any problems (that I know of, and I"ve been sending receivng texts all day) yet... The only similar app i had on my phone was the barcode scanner.

I ALSO had the taskkiller, so thought I might have been doing something wrong when I killed the settings mode, but haven't downloaded the taskkiller yet on this fresh reset

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat