cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Phone Storage keeps going down

Journeyman

Internal Phone Storage keeps going down

By "Internal Phone Storage" I am referencing to Internal Memory (ROM) shown by going to Settings -> SD card & phone
storage -> Internal phone storage. I have only installed three Apps other than those that came with the Sprint HTC Hero: StreamFurious, Shopsavvy and Adv Task Killer. I dont use bluetooth or wifi. I only use this phone to make calls and send messages using stock messenger since there are so many issues going on with this model. I have total of 94 messages received in stock messenger. I may have used it to access Google Maps once or twice and visit three websites just for play. No serious browsing.

My question is: if I use this phone only for these two purposes why is my Internal Phone Storage going down by 2 MB everyday? I have restarted my phone many-a-times but I still can't reclaim it.

What are different ways to reclaim this memory other than uninstalling Apps (I am assuming here)? Does clearing cache & data in Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications reclaim this memory?

I have also read that once this memory goes way too low, not even a hard reset can free it and phone has to be exchanged. Is this true?

10 REPLIES 10
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Internal Phone Storage keeps going down

The internal storage is used by various apps to cache data.  You can see that in Menu - Settings - Applications - Manage Applications.  Tap Menu - Sort by Size when you get that page loaded.

You can also clear cache there.

There is a known issue where if the memory goes below some point (between 10 and 15MB) the Messaging app will fail and the phone does (currently) have to be replaced.

Sprint is working on a solution that will fix the messaging failure mode with low memory, as well as an in-store repair to reset the messaging app.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Wow, I cleaned up 7 MB of cache from the browser alone. Before I clear the album cache (which is like 8 MB does anyone know if this will mess up the contact pics, especially those which aren't synced from Facebook? Or, will this cache simply return the moment I open the albums app?

Wizard

wengla02 wrote:

There is a known issue where if the memory goes below some point (between 10 and 15MB) the Messaging app will fail and the phone does (currently) have to be replaced.

Sprint is working on a solution that will fix the messaging failure mode with low memory, as well as an in-store repair to reset the messaging app.

Really??  Can you elaborate on why this needs a "very hard" reset by taking it into a store or exchanging the phone?  Seems odd the software could cripple the hardware.

Wizard

mlblack16 wrote:

Wow, I cleaned up 7 MB of cache from the browser alone. Before I clear the album cache (which is like 8 MB does anyone know if this will mess up the contact pics, especially those which aren't synced from Facebook? Or, will this cache simply return the moment I open the albums app?

I cleared it and it didn't seem to do anything to the contact photos at all.  I think that everytime it opens the albums application to review photos, it caches all those photos that you have taken or that are on your SD card so you can scroll through them quickly.

Journeyman

Just got a replacement hero from bestbuy last night (still within 30 days). I had been using bluetooth to listen to pandora almost daily for about a month and had about ten apps installed. I did notice the bluetooth would act up occasionally where the phone would get stuck in the "connecting" stage but wouldn't connect until i cycled the bluetooth on and off. Also "bluetooth headset disconneted" would randomly pop up even even I wasn't using it.

Well over the weekend a got an alert in the notification bar that I was running low on memory so I went through the phone and cleaned up what I could but still only had about 25MB internal phone storage. At that point I stopped receiving text messages but was still able to send them. I went ahead and reset the phone to original and reinstalled all my same apps. I now had over 100MB of internal memory with the same setup as before.

It was no use though, still didnt receive texts all day, so I had to get a replacement, now I'm afraid to use bluetooth until this bug gets fixed.

Journeyman

Here is the root cause for all these problems:  Everytime you pair your device up with anything Bluetooth, it will use 8MB of memory, which you will not get back.  Also, when you download an app from the Market it will use memory,if you delete that app you will not get the memory back.  This is a known issue as previously mentioned.  Basically, the lower your memory goes, the closer you are to resetting or RTN'ing your device.  Hope this helps, and forgive me if it was mentioned earlier.

Journeyman

Here is what I  found on this problem.  Occasionally the bluetooth application Android uses for my HTC Hero segment faults.  The resulting crash causes it to preform a core dump.  If you want to avoid bringing your phone back to Sprint and you are comfortable with downloading the Android Software Development Kit on your machine you can use android-sdk and preform the following commands AT YOUR OWN RISK...

cd /android-sdk/tools
./adb shell
cd /data
cd btips
rm core.*

For not Linux replace the /s with \ and remove the ./s.  I hope this helps someone. It is also possible to use ConnectBot to preform this maintenance.  Obviously you can't just install ConnectBot during the issue, but if you had it installed before it was a problem.  If anyone wants to over think this solution and look up cron might find a way to automate this until it is fixed.

Sprint Product Ambassador

It's reported to be fixed in this latest update.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Well they lied.  My phone just crashed with this problem today:(  I did the same thing everyone else did and now I can't use my pnone at all and it is not even 6 months old!!!!

Master

nowhiskey0 wrote:

Well they lied.  My phone just crashed with this problem today:(  I did the same thing everyone else did and now I can't use my pnone at all and it is not even 6 months old!!!!

Were you running the Android 2.1 software? Just because you bought the phone recently doesn't mean that particular box wasn't sitting on the shelf for a while. It is quite possible that phone had been on the shelf for a while and new inventory was just placed in front of it when it was received.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat