cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

Hoping they do to fix all the minnor bugs in the 2.1 release mainly the annoying random reboots for me

15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

I don't consider the fact that I can't answer a phone call reliably a minor bug.  The Hero is called a phone for a reason, you are supposed to be able to make and receive calls.

The ring lag is terrible as bad if not worse than it was with 1.5.

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

An MR update would be nice. Although 2.1 is such a nicer and quicker update to our Heros, I didn't think Eclair was going to be a cure all for all the annoyances such as ring lag and Bluetooth connectivity issues.  It's almost as if this was just a bad idea to release this phone to begin with (lol).  Even with 2.1, if the phone rings, I better answer it immediately before it rings twice or three times or it will immediately go to voicemail.  There's also still the Bluetooth issue where it takes 4 to 5 seconds for the phone to connect to your bluetooth device. I'll here "hello!? hello!?" from the earpiece on my phone and THEN, it'll connect to my bluetooth device.  Annoying.  We shall see.

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

Sprint's not even aware that there are problems with the phone.  Case in point I went to the Sprint store today because of the ring lag issue (the phone CSR wasn't able to do anything) and the tech made a revolutionary discovery...  the display phone has the exact same problem and swapping the phone wasn't going to fix the problem!  I told him I agree but Sprint corporate only knows how to replace the phone.

If people don't start contact Sprint with the problems then the problems will never get fixed.

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

News flash: Sprint sales reps are unaware of the list of known bugs for every phone and have no idea what the software guys back at HQ are working on.

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

jonnythan518 wrote:

News flash: Sprint sales reps are unaware of the list of known bugs for every phone and have no idea what the software guys back at HQ are working on.

That's where you're wrong! Sprint only sells Heros, and even if they had the audacity to sell other phones, the Heros is the phone I bought, so not knowing everything about my particular phone is bad customer service, because I am their only customer.

Add to the insult that every 16 year old peon in the Verizon store has extensive engeneering and programming training so they can fix any hardware or software issue on the spot for any phone they sell, and Sprint really looks bad.

Sarcasm aside, I really don't understand why their reaction to everything clearly software related is "give them a different hero." I don't know how many times I've seen on this forum and others "I'm on my 5th hero and they all have the same problem!" No kidding...why wouldn't they? Why would anyone think 5th hero's the charm? It's obviously a problem with the software or a bug in one of the programs you're installing.

As for the ring lag, and I've said this many times now, who says it's anything that can be fixed and they're just ignoring? We have an underpowered phone that can be running many apps. If there were no consequences of slow hardware we'd all still be running Pentium 60s with really really optimized software. (Not to mention a lot of it is an artifact of never paying attention before and assuming your old cellphone was ringing the nanosecond the person on the other end hit the 7th digit)

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

vita10gy wrote:


Sarcasm aside, I really don't understand why their reaction to everything clearly software related is "give them a different hero." I don't know how many times I've seen on this forum and others "I'm on my 5th hero and they all have the same problem!" No kidding...why wouldn't they? Why would anyone think 5th hero's the charm? It's obviously a problem with the software or a bug in one of the programs you're installing.

I know that swapping the Hero 5 times is not going to solve the problem, however Sprint in its Infiniti wisdom will not do anything about swapping the handset for a different model until they have replaced it so many times.  The problem is Sprint doesn't understand that.


As for the ring lag, and I've said this many times now, who says it's anything that can be fixed and they're just ignoring? We have an underpowered phone that can be running many apps. If there were no consequences of slow hardware we'd all still be running Pentium 60s with really really optimized software. (Not to mention a lot of it is an artifact of never paying attention before and assuming your old cellphone was ringing the nanosecond the person on the other end hit the 7th digit)

What makes you so sure that the phone is too underpowered to answer a phone call?  Ok fine load it up with applications and yes the phone slows down, however after taking a phone that was just upgraded to 2.1 turned on allowed to auto register and not joined to a Google account (or any other account) and then calling the phone results is 3 rings being heard by the calling party before the Hero decides to ring does not sound like a slow hardware problem but rather a software issue.

Furthermore if the device can not be reliably used as a phone then Sprint should stop marketing it as a (smart) phone.

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

What makes you so sure that the phone is too underpowered to answer a phone call?  Ok fine load it up with applications and yes the phone slows down, however after taking a phone that was just upgraded to 2.1 turned on allowed to auto register and not joined to a Google account (or any other account) and then calling the phone results is 3 rings being heard by the calling party before the Hero decides to ring does not sound like a slow hardware problem but rather a software issue.

Furthermore if the device can not be reliably used as a phone then Sprint should stop marketing it as a (smart) phone.

I agree that the "swapping solves all the world's problems" issue is Sprint's problem. (Though I do find the people that actually expect the 5th hero to be different humerous.)

I'm not "so sure" that the phone answers the calls as fast as possible, all I'm saying is people shouldn't be "so sure" that it's a massive bug/issue that HTC is ignoring. There's probably some tweaking somewhere that can take place, as that's usually the case with anything. That doesn't mean it will buy you 2 rings because there's somethings it's probably just too slow for.

The phone bogs down all the time. Keyboard falling behind, notification window won't slide down, phone won't respond and then queues up 19 clicks that takes you somewhere you never meant to click on, won't turn screen on right away if it's "busy" with something in background, etc. I guess I just don't understand why people think that the phone portion/ringing would have some magical way around the limitations that manifest themselves all the time everywhere else and never get bogged down themselves.

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

Time_Lord wrote:

vita10gy wrote:


Sarcasm aside, I really don't understand why their reaction to everything clearly software related is "give them a different hero." I don't know how many times I've seen on this forum and others "I'm on my 5th hero and they all have the same problem!" No kidding...why wouldn't they? Why would anyone think 5th hero's the charm? It's obviously a problem with the software or a bug in one of the programs you're installing.

I know that swapping the Hero 5 times is not going to solve the problem, however Sprint in its Infiniti wisdom will not do anything about swapping the handset for a different model until they have replaced it so many times.  The problem is Sprint doesn't understand that.


As for the ring lag, and I've said this many times now, who says it's anything that can be fixed and they're just ignoring? We have an underpowered phone that can be running many apps. If there were no consequences of slow hardware we'd all still be running Pentium 60s with really really optimized software. (Not to mention a lot of it is an artifact of never paying attention before and assuming your old cellphone was ringing the nanosecond the person on the other end hit the 7th digit)

What makes you so sure that the phone is too underpowered to answer a phone call?  Ok fine load it up with applications and yes the phone slows down, however after taking a phone that was just upgraded to 2.1 turned on allowed to auto register and not joined to a Google account (or any other account) and then calling the phone results is 3 rings being heard by the calling party before the Hero decides to ring does not sound like a slow hardware problem but rather a software issue.

Furthermore if the device can not be reliably used as a phone then Sprint should stop marketing it as a (smart) phone.

The phone does seem to pre-load ALL of the applications when first turned on.  With my task manager I have to kill like 2.5 screens of stuff the second it finishes loading.  Normaly when first turned on my phone is down under 35 megs of Memory... it's not till I kill all those tasks that it can get between 50-80 megs... and even then random things seem to turn on from time to time.

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

the reason they think that replacing the phone could help is because there *are* people out there with working hero's (i'm in that group). so it is possable to get a working one without issues, when I was with VZW you don't wanna know how many phones I had to have replaced because of various issues.

as to the phone being underpowered, maybe, but there are other phones running Android with the same basic specs as the Hero. (my work phone is a Moto Cliq, running 1.5, but same basic specs cept for the hardware keyboard). and to me they ran 1.5 bout the same. the Cliq hasn't gotten 2.0 or 2.1 yet so I cannot say how it would be.

And ring lag? having done my own testing, there is some, but none so drastic as I hear from others here

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

in regards to the preloading, my Hero and Cliq both do it.. might be an Android issue, or just how the phones are configured. (and yes, they also both do the reloading over time on their own lol)

Journeyman

Re: Is Sprint/HTC going to make a MR update?

jbach45 wrote:

the reason they think that replacing the phone could help is because there *are* people out there with working hero's (i'm in that group). so it is possable to get a working one without issues, when I was with VZW you don't wanna know how many phones I had to have replaced because of various issues.

as to the phone being underpowered, maybe, but there are other phones running Android with the same basic specs as the Hero. (my work phone is a Moto Cliq, running 1.5, but same basic specs cept for the hardware keyboard). and to me they ran 1.5 bout the same. the Cliq hasn't gotten 2.0 or 2.1 yet so I cannot say how it would be.

And ring lag? having done my own testing, there is some, but none so drastic as I hear from others here

Right, so they should have some sort of diagnostics to test the actual hardware. If it's not the hero, or a well known issue, then the problem is something you're doing. These are computers in our pockets, and as such we have the power to make them trip up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you just live without whatever app/setting is causing the issue, but the correct thing to do is treat it as such. Report it, and wait for a fix. I don't know why anyone would expect the exact same hardware running the exact same software to suddenly stop exhibiting some bug.

What these people should really do is a factory wipe and then install the apps they had one by one, and use the phone 2+ days between each install. Obviously one of their apps/settings isn't playing nice with the hero, or android in general. And when the problem manifests again report it. Maybe apps don't like sense, maybe the apps screw up to many settings, maybe 2 or 3 apps you're installing conflict with each other.

If the phone itself is fine, as I suspect most of these are (obviously there are some lemons out there, but my suspicion is those are fairly obvious.), and the software is initially identical the only variable is you, so if you take your hero home, and do the exact same thing to the new phone, I don't know why people are shocked and appalled when the same things go wrong. By what modality is it expected the problems are fixed?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat